New gas bottle tails

Theo

Featured Posts

The BSSor told me that gas tails should be renewed after ten years so I am doing that thing.

The main question is: given the fact that there is a bit of white power (alumina?) on the threads of the automatic changeover combined reducer should I be using a bit of grease to prevent recurrence? I am working on the assumption that it's OK to use a fine bronze wire brush to clean the threads.

The subsidiary comment about the procedure is that I fitted th pair of tails and then removed them again as I am descaling and repainting the gas locker. When I removed one of the tails there was a rush of gas from within the reducer assembly. The tail has a non-return valve in the bottle end and this should not have happened. I am returning that one to the shop. This was just a hint to check the non return valve on your tails. I got quite a lot of gas out of the reducer. It was at full bottle pressure and made an attractive little mist cloud.

Is a non-return problem something that an untrained boater can correct for himself or herself? NMEA?

Nick

Edited by Theo
To correct sexist bias.

For some reason I thought 5 years for hoses (pigtails) and 10 for regulators I could be wrong.... Check out Boss White for the joints.

From the Calor web site

Service Life

BS3212 or BSEN1763 hoses should bear the year and name of manufacturer. We have no specific recommendation for the exchange interval for vapour hoses, but it is considered that the normal useful service life of such hoses is 5 years. Aggressive operating conditions or simple misuse may render the hose unfit for service in a shorter time than 5 years. The User of the hose carries responsibility for routinely checking visually the hose(s) for signs of abrasion, cuts, cracks, fading, brittleness, hot spots or other damage. If the User has doubts about hose integrity then arrangements should be made for a competent person to check and if necessary, fit a replacement(s). Dealers and Calor Centre delivery persons, caravan park operators, fitters and others who regularly come into contact with flexible hose applications may also participate in this regular visual i

From the Calor web site

Service Life

BS3212 or BSEN1763 hoses should bear the year and name of manufacturer. We have no specific recommendation for the exchange interval for vapour hoses, but it is considered that the normal useful service life of such hoses is 5 years. Aggressive operating conditions or simple misuse may render the hose unfit for service in a shorter time than 5 years. The User of the hose carries responsibility for routinely checking visually the hose(s) for signs of abrasion, cuts, cracks, fading, brittleness, hot spots or other damage. If the User has doubts about hose integrity then arrangements should be made for a competent person to check and if necessary, fit a replacement(s). Dealers and Calor Centre delivery persons, caravan park operators, fitters and others who regularly come into contact with flexible hose applications may also participate in this regular visual i

I thought that for the reducer/changeover as well, bu when I phoned Uxbridge Boat Centre the man there said that you don't need to change the reducer/changeover on any regular basis. I was sure that my BSSor said 10 years and when he surveyed four years ago he didn't chge them.

N

Despite not having BSS for lumpy water boats it appears that we may get better guidance than those that fall within the scheme.

Here is a pic of my old 'pig-tail' it has a manufactured date (10/03) and a 'replace by date' of 2003. 2008

The label is a 'tear-proof' plastic.

CAM000861_zpsgxlgtyrv.jpg

Edit : hopefully picture loaded this time

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I don't think it is that uncommon for the NRV on the cylinder end of the pigtail to leak. I have two bottles connected to the regulator, and never leave one uncoupled with the other cylinder open as it will quite often leak (but not all the time).

Not on my boat at the moment, but I am fairly sure there is something on them that give them a ten year life.

Just to stir it up I believe the BSS says that the hoses must be in good condition. I know of a boat with bottle tails dated June 1992 which passed BSS as they are in good condition a year or so ago.

Just to stir it up I believe the BSS says that the hoses must be in good condition. I know of a boat with bottle tails dated June 1992 which passed BSS as they are in good condition a year or so ago.

Might have wasted my money then!

N

There has been a major recall on a certain regulator produced by one manufacturer between certain dates - I will find out exactly which tommorow.

free replacement of regulator, fitter costs will be paid, and free postage.

I'd rather a few quid on new tails than put my faith in a bit of 24 year old rubber.

My understanding is that, just like a rubber balloon that 'goes down after a few days due to air leakage, that gas hose become permeable and allows hydrocarbons to leach thru,

Apparently that's is why there is a slight 'wiff' of gas in some boat lockers.

At around £2.50 for a new length of hose its not worth not changing it,

My understanding is that, just like a rubber balloon that 'goes down after a few days due to air leakage, that gas hose become permeable and allows hydrocarbons to leach thru,

Apparently that's is why there is a slight 'wiff' of gas in some boat lockers.

At around £2.50 for a new length of hose its not worth not changing it,

agreeed. We have a major overhaul due of some LPG flame bonding systems at work, the hoses are ancient.

Where can you buy them made up for £2.50?

Cheapest I can find is about £10......

Equivalent to around 3 pints of beer in a pub. Bargain!

I stand to be corrected if wrong but arnt jubilee clips not allowed to be used on gas tails? Mind you I cant find the reg for this. So unless you have the proper crimp tool how do you replace just the hise?

Equivalent to around 3 pints of beer in a pub. Bargain!

I know Northamptonshire is cheap but 3 pints for £2.50 wow. Edited by Loddon

I stand to be corrected if wrong but arnt jubilee clips not allowed to be used on gas tails? Mind you I cant find the reg for this. So unless you have the proper crimp tool how do you replace just the hise?

I know Northamptonshire is cheap but 3 pints for £2.50 wow.

i was refering to your £10/3 = £3.333333333r by my calculator :)

Alan's £2.50 will probably be for 1M of LPG hose.

John Smiths £2 per pint

Fosters £2 per pint

'Real Ale' Under £2 per pint

Sausage Egg & Chips £2.75

Sunday Roast £4.50

The Old Malt Shovel - Newark. 200yards from the River Trent.

John Smiths £2 per pint

Fosters £2 per pint

'Real Ale' Under £2 per pint

Sausage Egg & Chips £2.75

Sunday Roast £4.50

The Old Malt Shovel - Newark. 200yards from the River Trent.

This should be a sticky!!

Proper prices, you can keep the Fosters and John Smiths but a pint of real ale and Sausage Egg & chips for under a fiver cant be bad.

I believe they are acceptable, when used with a proper hose tail, on the low pressure part of the system; i.e. OK if regulator is on top of cylinder with hose between regulator and pipework, but not if hose is between cylinder and regulator.

Hope so, anyway, Copperkins is/was done like that, and it didn't cause BSS problems!

e.t.a. Found it!

All LPG hose connections:

must be accessible for inspection; and,

must be part of pre-assembled lengths of hose of proprietary

manufacture (high- and low-pressure applications); or use suitable

nozzles secured by crimped or worm-drive clips (low-pressure

applications only); and,

must not be made using hose clamps fixed by spring tension; and,

must be free of any missing components, cracks, burrs or rough

edges or signs of other damage or deterioration; and,

must not be so narrow as to cut into the hose; and,

where made with crimped or worm-drive clamps, the clamps must be