Boat Identification, Please - Likely part of Small Northwich

Featured Posts

Two RT top decks grafted together. Each bus was 27' 6" overall and 7' 6" wide, which begs the question - where's the missing 6"? Must have chopped it somewhere. Probably along that line down the middle.

Edited by Derek R.

I would have bet good money that that was never a butty stern, very convincing fore end.

Looks like that to me too. Ends just below the first window. However:

post-5975-0-77211400-1462541942_thumb.jpg

Circa 1988. Though not visible in this size image, the rivets do end around the engine room doors.

It's nesting

Richard

Probably in transit.

Good to see Lynx again. I lettered her at Brinklow several years ago in the short dock not far from the woodworking shop. I'd just finished the first side when a gust of wind blew a swirl of sawdust into the dock and over the still damp paint! Luckily, much of it washed off later, though some was evident to the touch.

" Ah well, " said one of the chippies " if a blind surveyor comes to the boat, he'll know he's got the right one by feeling the letters! "

Cheers

Dave

" Ah well, " said one of the chippies " if a blind surveyor comes to the boat, he'll know he's got the right one by feeling the letters! "

Braille signwriting - is this a new aspect Dave?

Haha like it..

So far, Lynx is my only foray in to textured lettering. Many years ago, I was lettering an Allen tug locally. Trees were nearby. Things were fine till the sunshine caught the trees, whereupon the bloody things released dandelion type spores. Naturally, they drifted and settled on the freshly painted letters, eventually producing a " flock " effect, similar to 70s wallpaper.....luckily, they washed off later. These days, I rarely work out in the open, it's safer.

Cheers

Dave

• Greenie 1

It may have been mentioned before, but a dear departed colleagues last request was to have his ashes scattered on his favourite bit of canal at Cow Roast. On the day in question the lighter SCOUT had received a fresh coat of blacking. A breeze got up, you can guess the rest.

Which is why I put "bus" in inverted commas, of course.

As a former bus driver, I know they are not real bus windows, but that is the familiar and slightly derogatory term used by many in the 'portholes versus "bus" windows' debate.

The thing is, I thoroughly approve of 'bus' windows in 1970s conversions as they are totally authentic.

The hard bit is figuring out what to call them without it sounding faintly pejorative.

Got any suggestions?

The thing is, I thoroughly approve of 'bus' windows in 1970s conversions as they are totally authentic.

The hard bit is figuring out what to call them without it sounding faintly pejorative.

Got any suggestions?

Omnibus windows.

Got any suggestions?

Coach windows?

So far, Lynx is my only foray in to textured lettering. Many years ago, I was lettering an Allen tug locally. Trees were nearby. Things were fine till the sunshine caught the trees, whereupon the bloody things released dandelion type spores. Naturally, they drifted and settled on the freshly painted letters, eventually producing a " flock " effect, similar to 70s wallpaper.....luckily, they washed off later. These days, I rarely work out in the open, it's safer.

Cheers

Dave

hehe I remember lettering Norwind for H on the offside by Wton Boat club, right next to a willow that did exactly the same thing. I was ready to start again before he said dont mess with it let it dry and then we'll see. I was surprised when it all just washed off.

Im pretty sure Lynx End used to be moored at Wolverhampton boat club in the 70's/80's for a time.