Fed up with CART boat licensing!

Roger Murray

Featured Posts

I am out of the country and had a reminder from CART to renew boat licence. Phoned the number given and sat for well over 20 minutes waiting for somebody to answer, running up a costly overseas phone call. I tried again, but still waited and waited, finally giving up! Went on line and could not licence after filling all the info required as wanted my bank branch sort number. Don't know this as no bank paper work with me. Then had to phone the bank. Tried again on line to pay licence and this time it said my debit card number was wrong. I use it every day and it definitely is not wrong!

Yes I understand that CART need boat licenses paid, but they should make it easy to pay that licence, especially by answering that phone quickly. They are efficient and quick in telling me that my licence is overdue both by email and phone, also with the threat of a £150 fine for late payment.

So now have yet again gone on line and again filled in all the details, they are now quibbling about something else, but you can't speak to anybody, so don't know if the boat is licensed or not. If anybody from CART reads this. The boat name is Kyle and my email address is (... Available by pm ...) They gave me a code number of DC26C4. The money is there, all I ask is for them is to take the money and licence the bloody thing.

Roger

Edited by wrigglefingers
Removed email addresses
  • Greenie 1

my email address

You are lucky! We haven't a clue which email address CRT have for us, we didn't get an email notification last month so this month we got a letter. It is now too late to claim an early payment discount. Sue called them and found out about the email, but they can't tell Sue which email account we have registered with them because my name is on the account, not hers. Data protection, apparently

Richard

I am out of the country and had a reminder from CART to renew boat licence. Phoned the number given and sat for well over 20 minutes waiting for somebody to answer, running up a costly overseas phone call. I tried again, but still waited and waited, finally giving up! Went on line and could not licence after filling all the info required as wanted my bank branch sort number. Don't know this as no bank paper work with me. Then had to phone the bank. Tried again on line to pay licence and this time it said my debit card number was wrong. I use it every day and it definitely is not wrong!

Yes I understand that CART need boat licenses paid, but they should make it easy to pay that licence, especially by answering that phone quickly. They are efficient and quick in telling me that my licence is overdue both by email and phone, also with the threat of a £150 fine for late payment.

So now have yet again gone on line and again filled in all the details, they are now quibbling about something else, but you can't speak to anybody, so don't know if the boat is licensed or not. If anybody from CART reads this. The boat name is Kyle and my email address is (... Available by pm ...) They gave me a code number of DC26C4. The money is there, all I ask is for them is to take the money and licence the bloody thing.

Roger

Our sort code is in our debit cards. Have you checked yours?

You are lucky! We haven't a clue which email address CRT have for us, we didn't get an email notification last month so this month we got a letter. It is now too late to claim an early payment discount. Sue called them and found out about the email, but they can't tell Sue which email account we have registered with them because my name is on the account, not hers. Data protection, apparently

Richard

Why do people wait until they get a reminder before taking action in order to get the EPD? Edited by wrigglefingers
Removed email addresses

I relicensed this morning. I had to update the BSS certificate number and the insurance expiry date, and then pay. The whole thing took about two minutes and worked like a dream.

(By the way, what's this doing in the crew swap forum?)

Don't they warn you your licence is about to run out around 6 weeks before it's due? and you wait until the last working day it's due?! Also when paying by debt card it doesn't ask for the sort code, that will be for when paying by direct debt.

It is easy to pay the licence, more than ever it was before.

Edited by Robbo

Don't they warn you your licence is about to run out around 6 weeks before it's due? and you wait until the last working day it's due?! Also when paying by debt card it doesn't ask for the sort code, that will be for when paying by direct debt.

It is easy to pay the licence, more than ever it was before.

I thought the OP originally was trying to pay by DD over the phone, but said he was unable to set one up because ' he didn't have the paperwork to hand'. I am suggesting everything needed to set up a DD was on his debit card, which he acknowledges he had on him.

Or rather all that info. is on our (Nationwide) debit card.

Perhaps the OP could clarify?

Our sort code is in our debit cards. Have you checked yours?

Why do people wait until they get a reminder before taking action in order to get the EPD?

I seem to remember Matty once saying he waited until the last possible minute before handing over the dosh, on principle.

I seem to remember Matty once saying he waited until the last possible minute before handing over the dosh, on principle.

You are missing my point.

I always used to leave it to a couple of days before.

My point is I didn't wait for an email from CRT to remind me my licence was due.

I thought the OP originally was trying to pay by DD over the phone, but said he was unable to set one up because ' he didn't have the paperwork to hand'. I am suggesting everything needed to set up a DD was on his debit card, which he acknowledges he had on him.

Or rather all that info. is on our (Nationwide) debit card.

Perhaps the OP could clarify?

My sort code and account number is also on my debt card. Paying by direct debt isn't something you would leave to the last moment as usually you need to approve it by signing paperwork.

My sort code and account number is also on my debt card. Paying by direct debt isn't something you would leave to the last moment as usually you need to approve it by signing paperwork.

Since when?

I have set up numerous direct debits on line without signing any paperwork what so ever.

I phoned up yesterday the call was answered in moments and the the helpful woman on the other end sorted out a couple of email address related issues as well as renewing my licence. Couldn't have been more efficient or pleasant to deal with.

I guess I am not really as organised and as efficient as some of you. I never really know when the insurance, safety certificate or licence runs out. Find same with the car and its things. Although some of you got through on the phone quickly, for some reason I didn't....and for some reason there doesn't seem to be a sort code on my RBS/Visa debit card. They say on bottom left corner, not on mine! Not using it as an excuse, but at 86 on line stuff does get a bit confusing, especially when it keeps on rejecting the facts you key in.

Roger

Edited by wrigglefingers
Removed email address

I guess I am not really as organised and as efficient as some of you. I never really know when the insurance, safety certificate or licence runs out. Find same with the car and its things. Although some of you got through on the phone quickly, for some reason I didn't....and for some reason there doesn't seem to be a sort code on my RBS/Visa debit card. They say on bottom left corner, not on mine! Not using it as an excuse, but at 86 on line stuff does get a bit confusing, especially when it keeps on rejecting the facts you key in.

Roger

www.rogermurray.co.uk

Strange they normally have that and the account number there and the card number across the middle

Strange they normally have that and the account number there and the card number across the middle

This surprises me.

In my head that compromises your security unnecessarily if it gets into the wrong hands.

I don't think I have ever held a bank card that actually has my account number on it.

I'll admit I'm surprised even the sort code is on there - why does it need to be?

I used to pay for my licence by DD. They had my details and took the money on 1st of the month. Unfortunately thy stopped doing this and the reason I was given is that they had too many people not bothering to update their details if they changed bank or anything else that would affect the payment. Thus it is because people can't be bothered to keep their DDs up to date that I now have to pay them directly. Even so, I will still do it with at least a week in hand in case there is any delay. I would certainly not leave it until the last minute, especially if I knew I was going to be away when the renewal is due.

People really do need to take a bit more responsibilty for their own actions.

Slaps moderator's tin helmet on ...

Please don't post your full email addresses on open forum. Before you know where you are, you'll be the only verifiable legitimate valued inheritee of a vast cash shipment of cash and cash gold waiting for you in a sealed vault at Heathrow which you can only redeem by paying Mr Sue Grabbitenrunne £6,578 of your hard-earned. Fifty gazillion times over.

As you were ...

Every cheque you wrote had that on it

Yes, but most people I wrote cheques to had not gained possession of my Bank Card. Years ago, I can recall Banks advising you carried you bank card separately from your cheque book.

Does yours actually have a bank account number on - I know that in all the years I have had a bank card that it has been pointless looking at it to confirm my account number.

I can't think of any reason it needs to be on it.

This surprises me.

In my head that compromises your security unnecessarily if it gets into the wrong hands.

I don't think I have ever held a bank card that actually has my account number on it.

I'll admit I'm surprised even the sort code is on there - why does it need to be?

Every Debit card I have had has my name, account number and sort code on it. Just like a cheque has on it. Which presumably you are happy to pass on to anyone who you pay by cheque.

The debit card has your name, six digit sort code and eight digit account number on it. Unlike a credit card.

Edited by dor

Slaps moderator's tin helmet on ...

Please don't post your full email addresses on open forum. Before you know where you are, you'll be the only verifiable legitimate valued inheritee of a vast cash shipment of cash and cash gold waiting for you in a sealed vault at Heathrow which you can only redeem by paying Mr Sue Grabbitenrunne £6,578 of your hard-earned. Fifty gazillion times over.

As you were ...

You get them anyway

I used to pay for my licence by DD. They had my details and took the money on 1st of the month.

Going off topic.

If you pay annually, you can attar a 10% prompt payment discount. Correct me if I am wrong, but if you pay monthly, even by DD, I don't think you get that 10%.

I realise not everybody has enough cash in hand to pay their licence up front for a year, but if you can, the discount is a better "cash investment" than you are likely to find elsewhere.

If someone has the cost of a licence in savings that they can afford not to keep in savings, it is almost certainly worth cashing in enough savings to pay the licence annually at only 90% of what you would be charged if you pay monthly.

Someone will now no doubt point out a flaw in the way I have always approached this!