Honest Opinions on Private Boaters

Featured Posts

I mean honestly, all that shiny paintwork, daft officers caps and matching 'his 'n' hers' sweat shirts emblazoned with the boats name.....sink 'em I say.

I mean honestly, all that shiny paintwork, daft officers caps and matching 'his 'n' hers' sweat shirts emblazoned with the boats name.....sink 'em I say.

Many have tried to (and only some of them were hirers).

John V, on 12 Apr 2016 - 3:30 PM, said:

nice shiny boat............ when we all know it's a contact sport knight2-smiley.gif?1292867630

A nice shiny boat needs a nice shiny skipper.....

love_boat-captain.jpg

Not to mention Walkie-talkies. I heard a bloke bollock his wife at Hack Green Locks yesterday for not saying "over" at the end of her message.

Which just goes to show there are tosses in all walks of life

Self portrait Mike?

Bob

Who's Mike??

He's not a Mike, he's a Martin - and to the best of my knowledge he's never owned a Hudson!

Indeed, and it's last couple of years with us our boat was far from shiny too (Tip - DONT BUY A RED BOAT!)

Well the mushroom vents were but that was due to the lacquer they must have had rather than any effort on our part.

Sorry Martin, befuddled old age jumped in.

Bob

Who's Mike??

Indeed, and it's last couple of years with us our boat was far from shiny too (Tip - DONT BUY A RED BOAT!)

Well the mushroom vents were but that was due to the lacquer they must have had rather than any effort on our part.

Like all life they are a mixture. When I was small there were kids my mum wouldn't let me mix with. I'm the same with boaters (private or hirers) there are some I would rather not mix with. The knack is spotting them correctly.

Our shiny narrowboat is kept in a wetshed to maintain the cleanliness and colour when not bobbing about on her. Is there a formal grade in the shiny-scale for these actions?

Red boats! yes Martin. Grebe was fading as soon as we bought her. At age 9 we had her repainted and got the wetshed mooring about 6 months after that. Red is still fine after 7 more years so the extra cost has been worth it.

Wetshed, covered dock, boathouse...take your pick. We are in an old aircraft hanger erected over a basin. There are about 50 other boats with us. Electric, water, CCTV provided. But no toilets...

Not to mention Walkie-talkies. I heard a bloke bollock his wife at Hack Green Locks yesterday for not saying "over" at the end of her message.

oh buggar -blush.png WE have walkie talkies when we're out and about... but we draw the line at "over"... we do "beep" before we speak though so the listener has chance to move the thing close enough to actually hear!

• Greenie 1

nice shiny boat............ when we all know it's a contact sport knight2-smiley.gif?1292867630

As a side I was at Trevor Basin this morning and watched as two boats, one a Canal Time and the other a private boat, came beneath the bridge on the Llangollen Arm and turned towards the aqueduct. Both of them used the concrete edging to turn their boats, hitting it with quite some force, why? I have managed it in the past without hitting the side.

ETA, I actually know why both boats hit the far bank, they were going too fast and couldn't make the turn.

Edited by Ray T