Honest Opinions on Private Boaters

Featured Posts

Not to mention Walkie-talkies. I heard a bloke bollock his wife at Hack Green Locks yesterday for not saying "over" at the end of her message.

What on earth is wrong with walkie-talkies? We're both getting on a bit, and on a lock flight and out of sight of my wife, who is steering the boat, they are invaluable. Those who sneer at them are probably the same people who hanker after a traditional narrowboat, but think nothing of using on-board wifi, telly, washing machine - all things that the old boaters would grab with both hands, had they been available in their day.

• Greenie 1

As a side I was at Trevor Basin this morning and watched as two boats, one a Canal Time and the other a private boat, came beneath the bridge on the Llangollen Arm and turned towards the aqueduct. Both of them used the concrete edging to turn their boats, hitting it with quite some force, why? I have managed it in the past without hitting the side.

ETA, I actually know why both boats hit the far bank, they were going too fast and couldn't make the turn.

Ive been in the dry dock when boats have crashed into the swing bridge, well I have to say it makes one twitch a touch when you hear/feel the crash and the bow wave comes over the top of the planks

b0201.gif

What on earth is wrong with walkie-talkies? We're both getting on a bit, and on a lock flight and out of sight of my wife, who is steering the boat, they are invaluable. Those who sneer at them are probably the same people who hanker after a traditional narrowboat, but think nothing of using on-board wifi, telly, washing machine - all things that the old boaters would grab with both hands, had they been available in their day.

They have their uses. Mrs Loafer walks most of our cruises with the dog, more so now after our dog was attacked last year out of sight of our boat. They're also good for walking ahead and checking for good, quiet moorings with no pikeys!

I mean honestly, all that shiny paintwork, daft officers caps and matching 'his 'n' hers' sweat shirts emblazoned with the boats name.....sink 'em I say.

so now that you have given up boating, you feel entitled to come on this forum and insult the majority of members by suggesting we all meet the description you gave. frusty.gif

Our Hudson isn't shiny, with its 16 year old paint job. It has bags of coal on the roof, a rusting workbench and Mrs Loafer's sad-looking Ladygarden.

She's as tough as old boots though. The boat's quite tough too!

Those who sneer at them are probably the same people who hanker after a traditional narrowboat, but think nothing of using on-board wifi, telly, washing machine

I'm not a fan of walkie-talkies, and I have none of those things on the boat - so I'm OK - right?

We did have a single handset on board for a while. I fished it out with a magnet at Buckby while looking for something else. Sue made me throw it away

Richard

so now that you have given up boating, you feel entitled to come on this forum and insult the majority of members by suggesting we all meet the description you gave. :banghead:

Please tell me this is not a seriously meant response to an obviously hugely ironic thread?

Well it took longer than I thought. I was mimicking another thread.

Never mind though you get the coconut.

Edited by MJG

How dare you call Alan Jones slow

He called me slow, so I should know

Richard

Indeed.

Posts like Murflynn's reminds me of somebody (can't recall who now) who once took umbridge with a post in the unSTABLE BAR thinking it was all deadly serious and completely failing to understand the context.

Please tell me this is not a seriously meant response to an obviously hugely ironic thread?

I saw the thread as just a bit of fun, - oh you forgot the Buckby can and the rosie and jim dolls looking out the window wink.png

If you can't stand the heat then stay out of the kitchen. tongue.png

I saw the thread as just a bit of fun, - oh you forgot the Buckby can and the rosie and jim dolls looking out the window ;)

Of course it is, and it seems clear the point of it has still completely escaped mrmcflurry.....

I've just noticed that two of the people discussing the use of radios are Mike and Roger.

Out.

Very funny!

It's originally from Viz magazine, I think, from Roger's Thesaurus! Among similar are ' relaxing in a gentlemanly fashion', viewing art pamphlets or left-handed websites', Lady golfers', gentlemen who are good with colours' and many, many more. I have almost been injured by reading them!

PS I had apostrophe run-away there and they're not all in the right places.

oh buggar -blush.png WE have walkie talkies when we're out and about... but we draw the line at "over"... we do "beep" before we speak though so the listener has chance to move the thing close enough to actually hear!

We also use personal radios when out.

The Memsahib, normally while relaxing in the bow likes to comment on people and boats that we pass. The downside to this is that she normally waits to speak in the radio when she thinks the people are out of earshot of her....this means they are well within earshot of my radio as I pass them making a mad grab for the radio volume button.