iOS 9.3 bug

Featured Posts

Hi

A bug has emerged in the latest release of iOS, 9.3. It's not clear what starts it, but seems to be a JavaScript problem. Symptoms are Safari either failing to allow a hyperlink tap, or freezing on the tap and hold that should open a context menu.

Some have had success in moderating it by disabling JavaScript, but not everyone. It affects Chrome (which I'm using to post this) by not allowing simple tap throughs, but tap and hold still works.

It's been massively reported on the Apple Support forums and Apple hope to release a fix in a couple of days.

Meanwhile, my participation here and on the wiki will be severely restricted for a bit. Quite possibly a good thing as it will encourage me to get a life according to the OH. ;)

Not a problem if you have been hit by the upgrade bug that can leave the device stuck part way through the upgrade which I believe is why apple have currently pulled the upgrade.

Not sure I really get that though, it is only if you don't know your Apple ID information that you have a problem, and you really should know that if the device is yours.

Not sure I really get that though, it is only if you don't know your Apple ID information that you have a problem, and you really should know that if the device is yours.

I'm not sure, I have two devices that now won't update even though they are showing the update as available. Having read a few internet posts about the update I couldn't quite decide whether it was only a problem if you didn't know your password.

I'm not sure, I have two devices that now won't update even though they are showing the update as available. Having read a few internet posts about the update I couldn't quite decide whether it was only a problem if you didn't know your password.

I can confirm that the upload can fail to 'activate' even if you know your Apple ID information. The word around on the Apple community site worked for me but is cumbersome and I am told, it doesn't work for everyone.

Frank.

While trying to 'verify update', Mine keeps telling me I'm not connected to the internet, although I am. iPhone 5S.

Has anyone else seen this message? 'Would be much better if Apple could sort it, saying 'come back next week' or something!

While trying to 'verify update', Mine keeps telling me I'm not connected to the internet, although I am. iPhone 5S.

Has anyone else seen this message? 'Would be much better if Apple could sort it, saying 'come back next week' or something!

That's one of the problems being reported as well. If you have a 5/5s/5c or earlier or an iPad Air or earlier, don't try to upgrade, in fact you shouldn't be able to.

Apple ran seven beta versions of this and still didn't catch these major bugs. OTOH, there are more than 1 billion users of iOS devices out there now, so there's an awful lot of device and OS combos about.

We both had activation problems but I managed to deal with them by using the reset password routine at iforgot.apple.com

Mine iPhone 6 updated fine, my wife's 5S has exactly this problem which I can't seem to get rid of

I updated my iPhone 5 with no issue although it did ask for the Apple ID info. My iPad Mini 4 updated without asking for the id info.

My iPad Air updated just fine except for hassle with authentication, as did the OH's. Hers is still ok, mine has developed the bug 48 hours later. It seems to be associated with running some third party apps such as Booking.com but not exclusively.

Well I posted this yesterday but it seems tohave disappeared...

My ipad 3 appears to have updated ok, BUT, a friend also with an ipad 3 thought 9.3 update had gone fine until he switched it off. When it was switched back on it just got stuck in the startup phase.

Interesting. On Apple maps on my iPhone, the little blue dot that shows you where on the map you are has vanished today. A hard reboot did not bring it back. Is this related perhaps?

Could be, there seems to be a lot of odd stuff happening. As far as I can follow it, it's all to do with a new concept called universal links; a lot of the third party app creators didn't understand its limitations, causing the main iOS cache to fill up with thousands of URLs and so start looping and producing these odd effects.

There are one or two suggestions for workarounds, but I'm inclined to sit tight and wait for Apple to produce a fix.

Could be, there seems to be a lot of odd stuff happening. As far as I can follow it, it's all to do with a new concept called universal links; a lot of the third party app creators didn't understand its limitations, causing the main iOS cache to fill up with thousands of URLs and so start looping and producing these odd effects.

No doubt Apple are referring to this as a new feature.

I really don't mind if Apple, the FBI or the Women's Institute know what's on my iphone. Also, I'm not really concerned if government agencies are listening in to my phone calls, or investigating my emails (Apart from the odd mention of 'cabbage', or 'full-fat tobacco', which was a bit silly in the first place).

I wish I was the guy who cracked the iPhone in question. I'll bet he made a few quid for his trouble!

Well the 9.3.1 update has left me with a very expensive paperweight.

My iPad will neither load any web pages nor install the update even though it claims it is available.

Thank you Apple.

Well the 9.3.1 update has left me with a very expensive paperweight.

My iPad will neither load any web pages nor install the update even though it claims it is available.

Thank you Apple.

Serious question - will you be sticking with Apple devices, or ditching it and buying an android device?

Serious question - will you be sticking with Apple devices, or ditching it and buying an android device?

My phone is a windows phone which I really like.

When my iPad needs replacing it wont be with another Apple device. More likely android or even a windows tab.