Ive broken my Engine, ideas needed

dmr

Featured Posts

Oh No! I'm just about to do that very thing!

I can't sleep now!t2215.gif

If you don't manage to nod off at all tonight, then you'll probably be too tired to mess about with your engine tomorrow, and it will still be in running order tomorrow night.

There's always a positive aspect to everything.rolleyes.gif

If you can't sleep, you can take your dog for a nice long night walk, that will make you tired enough to enable you a good night sleep, and you can have a fresh start worrying (for nothing) tomorrow.

Night night,

Peter.

What a damned good idea!

I've just thought of a better one though. 'Honey, pass the Bell's over, would you?'

In future I will always make sure that I only change filters when near to a good pub, was very lucky this time, could have been stuck in the middle of nowhere. Expecting a big bill for the pump rebuild so went out tonight to practice money spending, found it very easy, but will practice a bit more tomorrow.

................Dave

• Greenie 1

In future I will always make sure that I only change filters when near to a good pub, was very lucky this time, could have been stuck in the middle of nowhere. Expecting a big bill for the pump rebuild so went out tonight to practice money spending, found it very easy, but will practice a bit more tomorrow.

................Dave

I've added it to the list of things to have handy, for an engine service. Take a greenie!

What a damned good idea!

I've just thought of a better one though. 'Honey, pass the Bell's over, would you?'

If you think that it's better to forget about your worries by the intake of alcoholic liquids, you're fooling yourself,

but if that is what makes you happy, I won't stop you.

Personally I much prefere to stay sober to sort things out, and keep my head as clear as possible (I'm a T-total anyway).

Good luck with your filter change.

Peter.

................Dave

Like my philosophical colleague in Nottingham, I'd dismantle the low pressure end and clean it out. Basically, what have you got to lose? If the sludge is only in that area then you'll fix the problem. If it isn't you get the pump rebuilt.

If you bugger it up, you get the pump rebuilt too

On the other hand, Tony and I are old school and are happy to dig into the internals of bits of equipment. My impression is you are a more cautious soul and maybe you'd be happier to just hand the job over to Stanadyne for the peace of mind

Richard

If you think that it's better to forget about your worries by the intake of alcoholic liquids, you're fooling yourself,

Personally I much prefere to stay sober to sort things out, and keep my head as clear as possible (I'm a T-total anyway).

Peter.

He and his wife may be hand bell ringers

Richard

Peter.

Your disapproval is noted.

Like my philosophical colleague in Nottingham, I'd dismantle the low pressure end and clean it out. Basically, what have you got to lose? If the sludge is only in that area then you'll fix the problem. If it isn't you get the pump rebuilt.

If you bugger it up, you get the pump rebuilt too

On the other hand, Tony and I are old school and are happy to dig into the internals of bits of equipment. My impression is you are a more cautious soul and maybe you'd be happier to just hand the job over to Stanadyne for the peace of mind

Richard

I feel your diagnosis of my engineering philosophy and expertise is not correct.

I am pretty courageous when it comes to taking things apart, both mechanical and electronic, but my engineering judgement suggested that professional help would be advised with this incident.

The forum has generally advised me that my issue was an air leak so I really needed some certainty about the injection pump behaviour, especially as Mike felt it was producing different fuelling on each cylinder. This is a very unusual fault for a Stanadyne and not something I would have expected to have a simple fix, and logically the calibration needed checking and I don't happen to have a Hartridge machine on my boat.

Anyway it appears that the contamination had in fact got to every part of the pump, every single orifice had some blockage and a 100% strip and clean has been required.

................Dave.

Anyway it appears that the contamination had in fact got to every part of the pump, every single orifice had some blockage and a 100% strip and clean has been required.

................Dave.

You called it right then

We do our best, it isn't easy to diagnose by text.

Richard

I work in a diesel repair shop and the resident aged sage says he has seen this often, it frequently causes failure of individual cylinders and is caused by water in the fuel emulsified in the pump.

That's interesting. It doesn't look like emulsion to me but I do not claim to be a diesel expert, (I am just a brave electronic engineer who keeps accidentally getting involved in mechanical things). We took a good photo of the stuff on top of the injectors and will post this a bit later. Without the engine we have limited electricity and the photo is on the other computer.

I have always had a concern about Fuel Set and other additives that dissolve the water into the fuel for this very reason, and so have used Stanadyne or Morris additives as these claim to form the water into droplets to get removed by the filter. I have once or twice seen a minimal quantity of water in the first filter, but usually there is none.

...................Dave

Like one or two others, I'm shocked by this post.

It should be Talisker at the very least.

Totally off topic but I had some Bowmore darkest the other day. By far the best whisky I've ever had. Strongly recommended. Even if it does look like the piss from a camel that's just crossed the Sahara!

If you can't sleep, you can take your dog for a nice long night walk, that will make you tired enough to enable you a good night sleep, and you can have a fresh start worrying (for nothing) tomorrow.

Night night,

Peter.

Peter.

Bargemast, you are a very sensible human being. I'm not quite sensible enough to follow your advice though!

He and his wife may be hand bell ringers

Richard

I wouldn't have included the apostrophe, it that were the case!

Like one or two others, I'm shocked by this post.

It should be Talisker at the very least.

Mike, whilst I am an admirer of your posts, I think Talisker is shite. It tastes like some 'orrible medicine that my mum used to give me.

Now Lagavulin - a whole different matter.

I use Bell's and Grouse as 'drill' whisky - the Lagavulin is reserved for 'ceremonial'!

I doubt it, I happened to see an opportunity for a bit of fun icecream.gif

Richard

And indeed it was, old chap, indeed it was.

Bargemast, you are a very sensible human being. I'm not quite sensible enough to follow your advice though!

I wouldn't have included the apostrophe, it that were the case!

Mike, whilst I am an admirer of your posts, I think Talisker is shite. It tastes like some 'orrible medicine that my mum used to give me.

Now Lagavulin - a whole different matter.

I use Bell's and Grouse as 'drill' whisky - the Lagavulin is reserved for 'ceremonial'!

And indeed it was, old chap, indeed it was.

Strange. I find Bell's pretty objectionable but Grouse is a mighty fine blended, and highly drinkable.

Mebbe I should try Bell's again. Not drunked it for 30 years at least!

Who stocks Lagavulin? Looks like I needs to try it.... cheers.gif

Along with Nick's suggestion of Bowmore 'darkest'. (Is that a description, or the proper name of one of theirs, Nick?)

Strange. I find Bell's pretty objectionable but Grouse is a mighty fine blended, and highly drinkable.

Mebbe I should try Bell's again. Not drunked it for 30 years at least!

Who stocks Lagavulin? Looks like I needs to try it.... cheers.gif

Along with Nick's suggestion of Bowmore 'darkest'. (Is that a description, or the proper name of one of theirs, Nick?)

Lagavulin is an Islay malt and is now prohibitively expensive, sadly. One bottle a year here, at Christmas if I've been a good boy to Mrs Loafer. You'll find it in most proper 'offies' and the occasional large supermarket, but you'll need the best part of 70 quid.b0417.gif

No that's the proper name. http://www.bowmore.com/whiskies/15-years-old-darkest/

You read the description of many of these whiskies and they are full of stuff like "chocolaty" etc but when you come to taste it it just tastes of whisky! Not so Bowmore darkest, a very complex flavour (including lots of chocolate!) and very very smooth. Mind you it is £50 a bottle but then you can afford it Mike!

No that's the proper name. http://www.bowmore.com/whiskies/15-years-old-darkest/

You read the description of many of these whiskies and they are full of stuff like "chocolaty" etc but when you come to taste it it just tastes of whisky! Not so Bowmore darkest, a very complex flavour (including lots of chocolate!) and very very smooth. Mind you it is £50 a bottle but then you can afford it Mike!

As it's cheaper than a Laggie and from the same island, it's worth a shot or two. I'll have to have a word with her indoors - it's me 60th next week!

True, since I seem to have temporarily ceased bleeding money on the REGINALD!

This aside prompted me to nip down to't Co-op. Partial to a bottle of Jameson's you see....

And spotted they have Ardmore single malt at 30% off so 21 squid.

Its a fun experiment

Stop talking about whiskey and focus your attention on my brown liquid please!!!!

Have spent more time going through my fuel system and except for a bit of stuff in the return line everything is very very clean.

Drew off more fuel from the bottom of the tank and that's perfect, though as per earlier post can not yet get to the very back of the tank.

So what is all this slime in my injection pump? I feel its not the bug as everything else is clean, and have found no evidence of water, but in absence of any other idea I will have to assume that it is the bug and start taking suitable action.

Gillie will post a photo of a fuel injector in a moment as I have not quite worked out how to do this yet.

(I would love to be a whiskey drinker again but it used to give me the most horrendous hangovers, though a pre-breakfast drink during last years BCN marathon was rather wonderful)

...............Dave

Edited by dmr