Ive broken my Engine, ideas needed

dmr

Featured Posts

Stop talking about whiskey and focus your attention on my brown liquid please!!!!

Have spent more time going through my fuel system and except for a bit of stuff in the return line everything is very very clean.

Drew off more fuel from the bottom of the tank and that's perfect, though as per earlier post can not yet get to the very back of the tank.

So what is all this slime in my injection pump? I feel its not the bug as everything else is clean, and have found no evidence of water, but in absence of any other idea I will have to assume that it is the bug and start taking suitable action.

Gillie will post a photo of a fuel injector in a moment as I have not quite worked out how to do this yet.

(I would love to be a whiskey drinker again but it used to give me the most horrendous hangovers, though a pre-breakfast drink during last years BCN marathon was rather wonderful)

...............Dave

That is a very good suggestion.

However, I WAS once poring over a prolonged electrical problem with a friend, on his boat, and eventually the conversation turned to malt whisky!

I'd say it was condensed Bowmore darkest. Apparently you can get it in tins.

Well either that or marmalade. Have you tried it on toast?

That is a very good suggestion.

However, I WAS once poring over a prolonged electrical problem with a friend, on his boat, and eventually the conversation turned to malt whisky!

So poring ---> pouring?

(Reply to mtb)

I could put some of it a bit of fresh fuel for a little while then use one of the DIY bug test kits that are available.

I half suspect they always come up with a positive result though.

Last time Sophie dog had a bad foot a vet did a swab and sent if off for analysis to identify the bacteria to choose the correct antibiotic (this stuff happens when you have dog insurance). When we got home and saw our own vet he said, "its a dog, if you swab any dogs foot you find bacteria".

Your genny now has fresh oil in it, the electricity is coming out so much cleaner.

.................Dave

Taste it, Dave, go on taste it

I've tasted so much diesel these last few days that its starting to make the beer taste all funny (yer I know, I should be drinking your vodka)

..............Dave

I'm off the Vodka.

Make sure you save a bit of the funky gunky stuff for when we next meet.

When do you reckon you'll be up and running again?

Has your notice " broken down - waiting for parts" been their so long now the ink is faiding?

Choked on my Merlot there! I doubt that dmr is one of those sort of people, but I have definitely seen notices like that, strangely with no-one on board for the whole time we moored nearby!

The MOST annoying notice was on a lonely boat somewhere, that said 'Warning! I get up at 0600 and need to run my generator for half an hour. When I get back from work, I need to run it again from 9-10 pm. Moor near me at your own risk' (or very similar). No wonder the boat was on it's own, but I was surprised to see his generator still on the back of his boat, and not at the bottom of the canal.

Edited by Loafer

Whoops Fading not faiding.

Well, i suppose the person gave a fair warning and if he or she is out in the sticks....

But to advertise when they aint on board seems a bit daft.

It wasn't in the sticks, it was at Stockton Brook on the Caldon, next to the busy road bridge to Hanley. He was lonely because of his notice.

Hmm. That is giving me ideas of my own!

Bargemast, you are a very sensible human being. I'm not quite sensible enough to follow your advice though!

Dear Loafer, you are a free man, and old (and wise ?) enough to do as you please, it was only an advise, and far from an order, so do whatever makes you feel happy.

Btw : have you done your filter change yet ?

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

Dear Loafer, you are a free man, and old (and wise ?) enough to do as you please, it was only an advise, and far from an order, so do whatever makes you feel happy.

Btw : have you done your filter change yet ?

Peter.

Not yet - I've been granted a reprieve. It's not due until May! I'm now back on the Playstation, shooting annoying invading forces with great satisfaction!

I'm off the Vodka.

Make sure you save a bit of the funky gunky stuff for when we next meet.

When do you reckon you'll be up and running again?

Has your notice " broken down - waiting for parts" been their so long now the ink is faiding?

I don't like to advertise my engineering misfortune, but if you remember the "long pound" it always has lots of reedy crap floating in it and a huge amount of this has now collected between boat and bank so its pretty obvious that we are now "Pewsey Resident", in fact its so dense I wonder if we could walk to the bank rather than using the gangplank.

Collect the pump in the morning (it was tested this afternoon) so could have engine running on Saturday or Sunday but if it is diesel bug I need to sort that before I send any more bad fuel into the pump. Actually in no great hurry to leave, under the new owners the Waterfront bar is a very nice boozer!

...............Dave

Dave, while you have some samples of the gunk to hand, I think it would be worth experimenting with various solvent to see if any will break it down. If petrol (for example) does, running some petrol (or whatever might turn out to dissolve it) through the injector pump should there be a 'next time' might well save another expensive rebuild.

Good Grief Gen, that's it, well done.

Gillie gets up in the morning and does marmalade on toast for me (her home made marmalade!), I usually say I'd rather have cheese on toast, I did wonder where all that scraped off marmalade went to.

Dave, while you have some samples of the gunk to hand, I think it would be worth experimenting with various solvent to see if any will break it down. If petrol (for example) does, running some petrol (or whatever might turn out to dissolve it) through the injector pump should there be a 'next time' might well save another expensive rebuild.

That has to be the idea of the thread! No greenies left (and anyway, you've had plenty of mine!)

Dave, did you get that?

I thought it was bad to run a diesel engine on petrol!!!!

but seriously, yes, I have been thinking along the same lines myself.

I was thinking the fault was solid type crap or wear issues, the gunge thing just did not occur to me otherwise I would have tried a solvent.

I reckon a skilled bloke has worked on this for two days solid so I am expecting a big bill.

Sounds like they've had it in an acid bath amongst other things.

I used to frequent a scrap yard in my younger mini owning days and his prices were steep, but he knew the prices of every new part so as long as he kept his prices a little lower he knew he had you over a barrel. I know what a new injection pump costs!

Still, its probably a whole lot less than your white metal bearing.

As part of our preparation for this big bill we ate out at the Waterfront last night, it really is very good.

...............Dave

We're really struggling to keep the batteries charged without the engine and the biggest issue is that Gillie can't play the computer games.

Its not getting shot, its that a whole empire might collapse.

We're really struggling to keep the batteries charged without the engine and the biggest issue is that Gillie can't play the computer games.

Its not getting shot, its that a whole empire might collapse.

I feel his pain. I might just have saved the world from Naz* Rule, but the final battle is tomorrow.

PS I deliberately put an asterisk in Naz*, in case I might be considered racist