Bridgewater canal charges

Barge Venus

Featured Posts

Situation by lock 92 looks pretty dire TBH. Colony of apparently non moving boats with pins hammered between the cobblestones, crap over the towpath. A more visible and less emotive target for a council crackdown than the vagrants on the opposite bank. Not doing us any favours. The northwest is easy mode for continuous cruising while being able to commute to a regional capital compared to much of the country, even if you feel the need to dodge Sonny to get to the T&M.

I have no problem with the charges to stay on the BW, assuming they are fairly enforced - you can get the whole length without touching the sides in a day.

Edited by oarfish

I've never thought about this junction before. I did look at Canal Planner and yes, there are 9 locks west of this little basin, these locks belonging to the Roachdale before it makes an end-on-end join with the Bridgewater.

Is it true that with a CRT licence you can only be on the Bridgewater for 7 days IN ONE YEAR ???

(10pm - severely edited after having read Dean's thread from June 2015 and having become much wiser!)

Edited by Emerald Fox

> Which side of Lock 92 - the Rochdale Canal side or the Bridgewater Canal side?

Rochdale side, the pound just above Castlefield basin.

> Does he work for the Bridgewater Canal / Peel Holdings? Is there anything he has actually done wrong?

He was apparently put in charge of enforcement, he also runs Preston Brook marina. Apparently he's pissed a lot of people off, but he was reasonable to me last year after I explained that I was happy to pay my way.. He told me that he had issues with CRT boats using the Bridgewater to evade CRT enforcement and that people from the ship canal were getting involved.

>
Is it true that with a CRT licence you can only be on the Bridgewater for 7 days IN ONE YEAR ???

Yes, unfortunate but if you are using it for transit that isn't a problem. Main issue I have is the unclear mooring rights even if you pay the 40.

Edited by oarfish

I did not know there was another thread from last June about the Bridgewater - Rochdale 'trapped-and-squatting' unfortunates. Could a wide beam not go to Todmorden and park there until the landslip at Lock 15 is cleared? May be many months! Years, even! You just say to CRT "I'm going to Sowerby Bridge / Brighouse / Leeds but you haven't cleared the canal."

May I point out here that the Rochdale Canal seems to be rather 'sick' between Lock 12 and Sowerby Bridge - our draught is 1-foot 11 inches and we made it quite happily after the Boxing Day floods, but boats of deeper draught may be scraping the bottom all the way.

We visited the centre of Manchester for a day and I thought it wasn't as bad as people make out. Bell ringing at the cathedral (Hell - I mentioned religious stuff!) and there are many trains to take you away to nicer spots.

Rochdale side, the pound just above Castlefield basin.

Is this allowed? What does CRT have to say about this? Just curious. Paid moorings, or the usual 14 days to lurk there?

He told me that he had issues with CRT boats using the Bridgewater to evade CRT enforcement.

That's understandable. Perhaps he's 100% in the right after all?

Spent a total of about 14 days on the Bridgewater last year (we have an annual CRT licence) to and from Skipton. We weren't aware that there was any difference so we're finding this thread very interesting; sure enough we're hoping to head up that direction again soon.

From the forums June 2015:

"Do Bridgewater boats have to stay off CRT waters for a month before returning for 7 days...just interested ?

yes and there are markers on the bridges telling them they only have 7 days on CRT waters."

Sounds something like "Divide and Rule" to me. How about a mass trespass on the Bridgewater? Hundreds, nay, thousands of boats with or without CRT licences? Aren't we all sick of private companies stealing our national heritage?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_trespass_of_Kinder_Scout

Spent a total of about 14 days on the Bridgewater last year (we have an annual CRT licence) to and from Skipton. We weren't aware that there was any difference so we're finding this thread very interesting; sure enough we're hoping to head up that direction again soon.

That's OK. You'll be applying for your Bridgewater Canal licence in arrears, one assumes? Ignorance is no excuse, they say! ;)

I'm sure its 7 days in any one period, not per year.

Chapter & Verse: http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/media/BoatingPDFs/Information_Sheet_2014.pdf

"CRT licence holders may remain for periods not exceeding seven consecutive days on the Bridgewater Canal. Craft wishing to remain for periods in excess of this must contact the Company to arrange for a temporary licence to be issued."

Note the use of the word periods, plural.

Chapter & Verse: http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/media/BoatingPDFs/Information_Sheet_2014.pdf

"CRT licence holders may remain for periods not exceeding seven consecutive days on the Bridgewater Canal. Craft wishing to remain for periods in excess of this must contact the Company to arrange for a temporary licence to be issued."

Note the use of the word periods, plural.

Yes, the word 'periods' is the plural form of 'period'. But what the heck is the time you need to spend off the Bridgewater before you can come back for another 7 days? One minute? One hour? One day? One week? One month? One year? Forever? Doesn't say.

From Cheshire Cat June 2015:

"Bad news. There's no Elsan before Littleborough"

EF says: Yes there is - it's called Rochdale ;)

From DJ Lady Heidi June 2015:

"I CC the Cheshire ring and have had 2 run ins with 'sunny'. He has such a terrible attitude ... I have sent 2 complaints to Peel Holdings also .... He is very aggressive and the first time I was at Castlefield for 48 hours and he came bellowing over saying I didn't have a Bridgewater license and was adamant that Castlefield was 48 hours and not 72 ... The next time I had been on the canal 4 hours and was just under the motorway at Preston brook after spending almost £200 in Midland Chandlers .... He came across and was an absolute arrogant arse ... I told him I had already spoken to Peter Parkinson plus I've only been here 4 hours and he told me I was now banned for my attitude and my boat would be towed off and a £200 fine .... I didn't even have an attitude but I will not be spoken to like the way he speaks to people plus he constantly screamed over me so I could hardly get a word in .... He is making up his own rules, he knows nothing of boats or the law .... he told me CCers are supposed to cruise 15 miles a day, plus lots of things about liveaboards and their lifestyle.... He is a horrible man"

Well, that's embarrassing for me - I just stuck up for this man. Does anyone have any photos of him so that if we spot him we can put on "Full Power" and escape from his clutches?

'Broken Britain' comes to mind.....

Nah! That's t'other side o't'hill, ont'dark side.

Great food, range of shops, cafes, pubs. Shame you didn't make it all the way over.

Bloody hell didn't realise I had opened a can of worms on the subject all I know his his first name is sunny and that my friends name is reg of the boat RM I am not interested in his index number I have other things to worry about . I just find it out of order the way they are treating people ?

You would think that Peel Holdings being the corporate company they are, that they would deal with boaters in a more respectful manner than having some idiot banging on your door accusing you of things that you are not guilty of. The letter should be a legal document, stating real facts, and if you've done something wrong, it should have those documented, with proof.

You would think that Peel Holdings being the corporate company they are, that they would deal with boaters in a more respectful manner than having some idiot banging on your door accusing you of things that you are not guilty of. The letter should be a legal document, stating real facts, and if you've done something wrong, it should have those documented, with proof.

I suspect Peel Holdings decided they had a problem with unlicensed boats and/or overstayers and deliberately employed someone who had the personality to move people on. They probably also knew this person would develop a reputation which would rapidly spread through the boating community and act as a deterrent.

I also suspect Peel Holdings sees their ownership of the Bridgewater Canal as a liability rather than an asset as I can't see the license fees covering the cost of maintaining it.

I suspect Peel Holdings decided they had a problem with unlicensed boats and/or overstayers and deliberately employed someone who had the personality to move people on. They probably also knew this person would develop a reputation which would rapidly spread through the boating community and act as a deterrent.

I also suspect Peel Holdings sees their ownership of the Bridgewater Canal as a liability rather than an asset as I can't see the license fees covering the cost of maintaining it.

Actually the only overstayers I've seen on the BW have been those in Castlefield. Now they've gone and made it unpleasant for every genuine visitor bu having a crazy man banging on boats, while completely ignoring the boats in Castlefield altogether.....

Actually the only overstayers I've seen on the BW have been those in Castlefield. Now they've gone and made it unpleasant for every genuine visitor bu having a crazy man banging on boats, while completely ignoring the boats in Castlefield altogether.....

Well there was that big purple thing (!) that stayed a week at the Trafford Centre last year ...

I have been told by my friend that peel holding are trying to charge people £40 a week to sail there canal . My friends where moored at the back of the Trafford centre in Manchester waiting for the Barton aqueduct to open when they was asked to pay £40 to peel holding . Is this going to be the norm from now on? . If it is going to be the norm should CRT do the same if boats with there licences wish to sail off there canal

Boats based on the Bridgewater Canal have to purchase a license to sail on CaRT waters.

Steve

"25% of Peel is owned by the Saudi-based Olayan Group, while it has a joint venture deal in Liverpool with a Chinese company, Sam Wa Investments and its distinctly shady President Stella Shiu "given her reported seniority and influence, there is remarkably little information on record", states the report."

"Peel has local governance – if not local authorities themselves – in its pocket"

"In its last statement of public spending over £500, Salford City Council reveals that in just two months (November and December 2012) Peel Holdings was handed almost £2million of public money for projects that are totally obscure to anyone who didn't actually write the cheques."

"The lines of governance at Peel – of responsibility and accountability - are nigh on impossible for the lay observer to trace" it adds "We attempted to map out the relationships between the Peel parent and subsidiary or satellite companies but gave up when we could physically fit no more information on the page. Only corporate, legal and financial experts could begin to make sense of the whole."

"At the helm" states the report "sits a tax exile".

From here: http://www.salfordstar.com/article.asp?id=1761

Around 2004/2005 there were discussions about BW taking over the Bridgewater Canal, probably on a management agreement rather than actually acquiring the freehold. I don't remember the exact reason they foundered but I think it had something to do with the Coal Authority clean-up costs at Worsley. One wonders whether CRT might be interested in rekindling the idea...