New Tim & Pru series

Flyboy

Featured Posts

I wonder how much damage he will do to the boat??

The Gota Canal Skipper's Guide:

http://np.netpublicator.com/netpublication/n46464455

is in English and contains a section about damage at the foot of page 14. They must've known he was coming.

The program should get a bit lively when they meet one of those big passenger boats, especially if it's in one of the narrower sections where the procedure for passing sounds a bit tricky.

I seriously think it is time for new presenters, there seems to be more interest in what damage he can do rather than the canal journeys they are attempting to portray. The phrase 'quit while you are ahead' springs to mind.

I seriously think it is time for new presenters, there seems to be more interest in what damage he can do rather than the canal journeys they are attempting to portray. The phrase 'quit while you are ahead' springs to mind.

I think they are the perfect presenters. Wouldn't change them for the world! Most people I speak with enjoy them and their programme, think it's just a few on here that pick holes...Ian .

I think they are the perfect presenters. Wouldn't change them for the world! Most people I speak with enjoy them and their programme, think it's just a few on here that pick holes...Ian .

I agree. They are national treasures and an inspiration to me to hopefully keep boating into my 80's.

• Greenie 2

Yes, I agree.

The unexpected and overwhelming success of these programs, (surely far longer running than ever expected), is almost exclusively down to the fact that Tim and Pru have been passionate supporters of the waterways for the majority of their lives.

Use any other presenter(s), and you will likely get something as lacklustre as the John Sergeant offering.

• Greenie 1

Someone is fearful that the Caldon Canal may done in the next series.

I think possibly it is edited in such a way to put emphasis on his mishaps... I have read though that people have become confident enough to try a narrowboat holiday which they had previously been reluctant to do for fear of hitting something because of the programme. I personally enjoy watching it, and their obvious enthusiasm and love of the canals shines through.

Yes, I agree.

The unexpected and overwhelming success of these programs, (surely far longer running than ever expected), is almost exclusively down to the fact that Tim and Pru have been passionate supporters of the waterways for the majority of their lives.

Use any other presenter(s), and you will likely get something as lacklustre as the John Sergeant offering.

That and, for me, the regard in which they hold each other shines through the programme

Oh I dunno. I've only seen one though. I think he was bobbling around the London end of the grand union. I thoroughly enjoyed it

They've obviously heard Tim is coming, look at the number of fenders they have in preparation :rolleyes:

Indeed

What fascinated me was that they always travel with fenders down low enough so the end just dangles in the water, because they are just lengths of wooden branch (usually birch) which would become brittle if they dried out.

They've obviously heard Tim is coming, look at the number of fenders they have in preparation rolleyes.gif

Was at Jones Boat Yard at St Ives yesterday, Fenders were flying out the door as loads of people were buying them. Has Tim & Pru been spotted filming the next series on the Great Ouse..

I do enjoy watching Great Canal Journeys, and hope that it is encouraging more people to try canal boating, but wish that when Tim does crash into something there was some sort of explanation of how it might have been prevented. Maybe there should be one of those announcements at the end of the program along the lines of "If you have been using any of the poor boat handling techniques shown in this program, help is available on our website at ..."

Ideally I'd like a TV company to find someone who is skilled at both boat handling and talking to camera, and make a series with them explaining how it's done.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked Sundays Ch 4 episode on the 2nd. half of the Swedish trip. Did anyone else see it as nobody's been on here berating Tim's boating skills. Next weeks programme is on the Stratford canal & the Avon, last in series.

Edited by Flyboy

did you mean OFF course?

Who knows? There didn't appear to be any charts involved, which doesn't seem wise to me when navigating in coastal waters, especially unfamiliar waters. Perhaps the producer sent poor old Tim & Pru out without charts to make the program more interesting?