Working a Swing Bridge alone.

GreyLady

Featured Posts

Asking a passer by to help is often the advice given and strikes me as no help at all as there often isn't one.

On the other hand there is a lift bridge on the southern Oxord dead awkward or solo boaters I've worked out a strategy for operating alone, but can I get to test it out? Nope. Even if I try at 5am on a Monday morning ijn the pitch dark someone always pops up out of nowhere and says 'Oh, let me help you with that'.

I feel like saying NO BUGGER OFF I WANT TO DO IT MYSELF, but I'm too polite. I smile, say thank you and try to look pleased...

Haha, fanks honest guv.

Maybe you could try a bit earlier in the morning dressed in combat regalia Mike.

No need for nettle stings as you don't need to scramble through undergrowth.

I hope not. Lol

Yes, you are quite correct. It was early when I wrote that reply and I had not yet finished my first cuppa coffee.

Not a problem you definitely need a caffine fix early in the day fatigue.gif As an aside back in my boating days the Banbury Stick was only used /worked on the lift bridge just above Banbury lock as at that time the bridge was slightly different to the other lift bridges on the South Oxford & would not stay up all the time by itself.( no Idea if It's been modded) I doubt it would meet with approval nowadays to pull the stick & let the bridge drop on it's own, it used to come down with quite a thud, as dropping paddles & stemming/thumb lining gates, are now NO NO's, bridge dropping is surely included

The same way you'd operate a lock single handed, take the bows into the nip and down the roof/gunwale. Tie it off, swing the bridge, climb back on and off you go.

And just leave the bridge open...tongue.png

When I first came across one of these swing bridges on the K&A I was single handed and had a load of hire boats behind me. I did the nice thing, opened the bridge and waved them all through. It was only then I realised I couldn't get my own boat through as I was on the wrong side (obviously hadn't had my morning coffee!) Fortunately there was a bloke nearby who worked the bridge for me.

But why did they design these bridges so that they had to be operated from the non-mooring side? Did they just assume all working boats had crew?

Edited by blackrose

Not a problem you definitely need a caffine fix early in the day fatigue.gif As an aside back in my boating days the Banbury Stick was only used /worked on the lift bridge just above Banbury lock as at that time the bridge was slightly different to the other lift bridges on the South Oxford & would not stay up all the time by itself.( no Idea if It's been modded)

These days you have to wind it up with a windlass. I am not sure if it has a locking mechanism which enables you to leave it alone while you pass your boat through it.

And just leave the bridge open...:P

When I first came across one of these swing bridges on the K&A I was single handed and had a load of hire boats behind me. I did the nice thing, opened the bridge and waved them all through. It was only then I realised I couldn't get my own boat through as I was on the wrong side (obviously hadn't had my morning coffee!) Fortunately there was a bloke nearby who worked the bridge for me.

But why did they design these bridges so that they had to be operated from the non-mooring side? Did they just assume all working boats had crew?

Wasn't it so horse drawn boats could get through unhindeted by any part of bridge as it's all offside.

Wasn't it so horse drawn boats could get through unhindeted by any part of bridge as it's all offside.

Yes, that was one of two very good reasons.

The other being that a raised bridge was on the landowners side of the canal and offered some degree of security for him when he left it open.

George ex nb Alton retired

I still haven't worked out if Grey Lady is talking about lift bridges as on the Oxford or swing bridges as on the K&A

Swing Bridges ditchcrawler, well that's what it started out as but it turned to lift bridges.

Another few pages it might end up with tunnel talk.

God I missed this forum.

Is their a special trick to operating a Swing Bridge on the opposite side of the towpath whilst being single handed?

The only solution I can come up with is to take a blow up dinghy with me on trips out alone. - (to get back on the other side) Lol

Actually a very good idea on some L&L swing bridges.

Swing Bridges ditchcrawler, well that's what it started out as but it turned to lift bridges.

Another few pages it might end up with tunnel talk.

God I missed this forum.

It's a good job you didn't burn your bridges when you took a break from it before.

I think some of these replies are a bit iffy from wedging it open with a Banbury stick to leaving the swing bridge open and leaving .

Solution is to moor on operating side fight your way through the overgrown scrubland or scramble over garden fences or preferably wait for another boat .

Exactly that near us. Or use the dinghy.

Has it been electrified?

I thought I read the plans for that had been put on hold.

Nope it most certainly has not been ruined as of yet by electrification. I suppose it will some day soon even though it has worked well in its present form for oodles of years.

Tim

Single handing a single motor was quite common, at least in latter days.

George ex nb Alton retired

I know, I was talking about previously, before motors. I consider motors to be "relatively new" in the context of the history of canals.

If you can't moor on the operational side, pull up on the landing stage taking your BOW rope with you across the bridge. Swing the bridge and pull the bow over to you. Walk down the gunwale, motor the boat through, and get off on the operational side with the STERN rope. Close the bridge and off you go. There's need for any tying up, just lay the rope on the ground ready for use as required.

^^^^ Always worked for me.

If you can't moor on the operational side, pull up on the landing stage taking your BOW rope with you across the bridge. Swing the bridge and pull the bow over to you. Walk down the gunwale, motor the boat through, and get off on the operational side with the STERN rope. Close the bridge and off you go. There's need for any tying up, just lay the rope on the ground ready for use as required.

Thanks for your help, I will try this in the summer on my own early morning.

From our Marina their is only one awkward swing bridge towards an idealic spot 5 miles away.

(It has a lovely pub too)