Floods?

Ray T

Featured Posts

It got worse and worse on the soar. We are well stranded, unable to even get Puppeh on or off. The flow is currently 93.09 cmps and we are just under the 2012 record level for this section. Been mostly awake now since yesterday morning, another long night to come.

Had a phone call from the local enforcement officer saying they were coming out to vulnerable boats....no sign so far!

Wish I could work out how to post a photo! (Android tablet )

I think the main factor in how one days worth of rain can lead to flooding is just that the ground was so saturated and the water table already high so the rain had nowhere to go. Perhaps warmer air masses moving in across the Atlantic pick up greater amounts of moisture than used to be the case. I don't think it really has much to do with fewer trees or lack of dredging.

I flew out the country on Tuesday evening but I didn't see any forecast for heavy rain. Perhaps I just missed it or did they get the forecast wrong?

Edited by blackrose

I think the main factor in how one days worth of rain can lead to flooding is just that the ground was so saturated and the water table already high so the rain had nowhere to go. Perhaps warmer air masses moving in across the Atlantic pick up greater amounts of moisture than used to be the case. I don't think it really has much to do with fewer trees or lack of dredging.

I flew out the country on Tuesday evening but I didn't see any forecast for heavy rain. Perhaps I just missed it or did they get the forecast wrong?

I haven't noticed any more rain during my life. I'm sticking with the trees for now. They can't answer back at planning application meetings... :)

I haven't noticed any more rain during my life. I'm sticking with the trees for now. They can't answer back at planning application meetings... smile.png

The low point for trees in the UK was apparently in the 1920s. Since then there has been a huge increase. It's very noticeable if you are into old photographs

Richard

I haven't noticed any more rain during my life. I'm sticking with the trees for now.

I haven't noticed fewer trees, but think I have noticed that downpours are often more torrential these days. However I wasn't in the country on Wed so can't comment on this last one.

The low point for trees in the UK was apparently in the 1920s. Since then there has been a huge increase. It's very noticeable if you are into old photographs

Richard

Noooooo!!! What am I going to hug now? They lied to me.

I duno, I'm finding it difficult to find data on it. The other thing is how spread out they are l. We might be planting more in what forests we have left but we need more where we live...and near canals and stuff. I understand we haven't been meeting government targets either.

I would imagine the lack of dredging of all our water channels is a factor. Plants and trees help to keep the water table a bit lower so that there is room for overnight rain.

Trees have very little effect on groundwater in the winter, dormant so no pumping

It got worse and worse on the soar. We are well stranded, unable to even get Puppeh on or off. The flow is currently 93.09 cmps and we are just under the 2012 record level for this section. Been mostly awake now since yesterday morning, another long night to come.

Had a phone call from the local enforcement officer saying they were coming out to vulnerable boats....no sign so far!

Wish I could work out how to post a photo! (Android tablet )

They have been dumping water to protect Leicester as it got very close to exceeding tipping point. Similar with Melton Mowbray(although that was on the outer reaches of the most persistent rain. Pillings is at max output which is just speeding the water down. The levels above Leicester are dropping rapidly now so it should calm down within 24 hours.

Where are you Ally - they never came out to me in 2012!!??

Edited by matty40s

We had a flood in our reception at work, the water was coming up through the BT Services conduit.

We are about 1.5m higher than the nearest brook.

A call to BT OpenReach revealed the fact lots of people on our industrial estate were suffering the same. I've been working here 15 years and never known the water to come up through the water table like that so fast.

No firm response if BT are going to stand the cost of the floor yet.

They have been dumping water to protect Leicester as it got very close to exceeding tipping point. Similar with Melton Mowbray(although that was on the outer reaches of the most persistent rain. Pillings is at max output which is just speeding the water down. The levels above Leicester are dropping rapidly now so it should calm down within 24 hours.

Where are you Ally - they never came out to me in 2012!!??

For the first time ever, we moored below Barrow deep, in the hopes of better solar and quieter dog walking. Moored with the stern on the barrier into the river, so as to take up minimal space. Can't get up the lock currently though. I've seen the Soar for years, going in and out of flood, but this one really took us by surprise, a days rain isn't usually producing this kind of flooding.

High water levels on the Middle Level last night, Water level rose by over a foot in six hours, While heading back to Foxes as I passed the West End Moorings, the owner of the swatter boat bellowed out 'Tick-over *** ******'. I was fighting a 5 knot current, so the revs were high. Just made it back before dark. A hour later the stop planks were put in. Unfortunately one boat was pulled under by it's tight lines overnight and sunk, a sad sight to see this morning.

Sunk%20Boat%20Foxes%2010th%20March%20201

After our bottom sitting session we have now come well up, to such a degree that tight lines on boats have had to be loosened by us live-aboards, one boat had used it's centre line which had to be cut. It's worth reminding people (the less experienced) that a centre line is a boat handling line and not really suited for mooring especially on a unattended boat . Also take care and only use a knot/hitch that can be undone under pressure.

Phil

Matty where did you get the information about leicester?

you have to look quite closely at all the level graphs over the period, freemens meadow keeps levelling off even though levels above keep rising. That means Leicester is dumping big time - every sluice open.

and its not often that Pillings lock doesn't see a big surge and down level - it was already full open.

I say again, it was an exceptional level of rainfall over the E Midlands, it was of tropical heaviness, and didn't stop, some of the floods over northants/ cov/Rugby areas have not been seen in years.

To answer Blackroses comment on the forecast.

The weather was in a very strange position with Cold air and N/Nw flow, the low pressure floated down slowly and was incredibly difficult to predict in intensity or direction.

The met office got the wind warning right, but not the rain.

The low moved slowly across the south coast, and became very elongated resulting in a secondary low being spawned centred on Lincoln. This meant that the rainfall did not move through as predicted and the two systems carried on dropping water where it was already underwater!!.

I haven't noticed fewer trees, but think I have noticed that downpours are often more torrential these days. However I wasn't in the country on Wed so can't comment on this last one.

...and I thought it was just cats on the roof..,no dogs from what I saw in the morning.

Pleased to report the soar is dropping well now. Still very much in flood but I can see grass again on the slope by us! A wakeful night making sure we avoid landing on the towpath as we drop. ....hoorah for boat poles shoved down the side! Hopefully we can get Puppeh off the boat today!

Glad to hear you are ok ally, i was up in the night as well making sure i didnt land on the bank. All is ok now but did take one fence panel out as we dropped down.

A fence panel beats banking! Glad you're safe and floating too! Managed to get puppeh off via our longest plank this morning. She'd held on for 34 hours! Bless, she's as relieved as us!