Canal & River Trust moves its North West office in Wigan

Ray T

Featured Posts

22 February 2016

Canal & River Trust moves its North West office in Wigan

The Canal & River Trust is relocating its North West office to Trencherfield Mill from the beginning of March.

The canal-side former cotton spinning mill, dates back to 1907 and is Grade II listed. More recently it has been converted to a mix of office space and homes.

Waterway manager Chantelle Seaborn comments: “Our lease on the existing office in Wigan had come to an end so we’ve taken the opportunity to look at the office space and facilities needed.

“Our new office is smaller and cheaper to run but has bags of character. Next to the Leeds & Liverpool Canal towpath, it’s a good location for visitors to pop in and say hello.”

The office move will take place in the first week of March. The Trust expects to move out of its existing office at Waterside House on 4 March and be open for business as usual at Trencherfield on 8 March. The offices will be closed on 4 and 7 March because of removal and changes to phone lines.

The new address is: Trencherfield Mill, Heritage Way, Wigan, WN3 4BN. Other contact details remain the same. Telephone: 0303 040 4040, email: enquiries.northwest@canalrivertrust.org.uk, Twitter: @CRTNorthWest

Ends

For further information:

Helen Hall, Canal & River Trust

M: 077177 60284 E: helen.hall@canalrivertrust.org.uk

The old office provided a couple of safe secure moorings outside, I guess these will be lost.

This is sad as Wigan has a reputation as not a good place to moor to this may mean even fewer boats stopping their.

Last summer was the first time I have ever seen boats moored on the towpath side. I suspect the emergency stoppage forced boats to stop there and started a trend?

.............Dave

“Our new office is smaller and cheaper to run but has bags of character. Next to the Leeds & Liverpool Canal towpath, it’s a good location for visitors to pop in and say hello.”

attachicon.gifTrencherfield.jpg

Which doesn't actually tell somebody like myself who doesn't know the area well anything. Which of the many buildings shown are you suggesting is being discussed and if it is the large one do you know exactly how much of the building they are taking?

I believe, but may be wrong, that the buildings alongside the towpath were the original BW offices, and possibly still owned by CRT. Likewise the building opposite. The yard opposite was where we hired in 1981 from Coles Morton Marine.

It's not just the possibility of the moorings being lost but the water point was moved frtokm above Henhurst Lock to there 2 or 3 years ago.

Edited by pearley

Will they reinstate the water point on the towpath ? The one in the services is no use for boaters no hosepipe connection push down to give 1 1/2 litres of water at a time.

I moored on the towpath side for 13 days in 2015 lovely quiet moorings.

Talk about "glass half empty"!

The new offices are smaller and cheaper to run. Win-win.

I believe, but may be wrong, that the buildings alongside the towpath were the original BW offices, and possibly still owned by CRT. Likewise the building opposite. The yard opposite was where we hired in 1981 from Coles Morton Marine.

It's not just the possibility of the moorings being lost but the water point was moved frtokm above Henhurst Lock to there 2 or 3 years ago.

Correct. I remember calling there for my boat license in 1971 whilst attending Wigan Technical College.

post-910-0-63188000-1456180068_thumb.jpg

Which doesn't actually tell somebody like myself who doesn't know the area well anything. Which of the many buildings shown are you suggesting is being discussed and if it is the large one do you know exactly how much of the building they are taking?

Jerry

The offices will be in the large building which contains flats, offices and the steam engine. There are mooring rings on the Towpath near the Wigan dry dock.

If going by car access is by the A49 on Wallgate or via Chapel Lane.

Steve

Jerry

The offices will be in the large building which contains flats, offices and the steam engine. There are mooring rings on the Towpath near the Wigan dry dock.

If going by car access is by the A49 on Wallgate or via Chapel Lane.

Steve

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We moored opposite the old office, towpath side, on Friday. We were woken at 3 in the morning by a noise, so I looked out the side hatch to see a mountain bike on the towpath, adjacent to our bow. Whilst my sleepy brain was trying to work out where the owner of the bike might be, he appeared with his torch in hand - from under our cratch cover! He made off on the bike, with my voice ringing in his ears.

The two police personnel who attended this morning said that there had been a number of similar incidents, and petty thefts from boats on that stretch, in the dry dock, and from the apartments that back onto the towpath. So maybe it would be best to moor on the opposite side, by the old CRT office.

Signage is improving for the new office, which can best be described as a sited at the Pier end of Trencherfield Mill, on the first floor.

Mike

We moored opposite the old office, towpath side, on Friday. We were woken at 3 in the morning by a noise, so I looked out the side hatch to see a mountain bike on the towpath, adjacent to our bow. Whilst my sleepy brain was trying to work out where the owner of the bike might be, he appeared with his torch in hand - from under our cratch cover! He made off on the bike, with my voice ringing in his ears.

The two police personnel who attended this morning said that there had been a number of similar incidents, and petty thefts from boats on that stretch, in the dry dock, and from the apartments that back onto the towpath. So maybe it would be best to moor on the opposite side, by the old CRT office.

Signage is improving for the new office, which can best be described as a sited at the Pier end of Trencherfield Mill, on the first floor.

Mike

We were moored outside the former CRT office at Wigan a month ago when my wife heard something outside the boat in the evening. She took a bung out of the porthole and surprised a male who had got off his bike and was starting to undo our cratch cover. He took off very quickly when he realised we were aboard.

We were moored outside the former CRT office at Wigan

It would appear that now the offices are on the towpath side there is not much point in mooring there as it would appear to be no more secure then anywhere else in that area.

14skipper

It looked to me that mooring immediately outside the old office, i.e. on the non-towpath side, was the best option. There was another boat there during our visit, so no room, but this area is secured by a fence and a (CRT?) padlocked gate.