surveyors

ukrizla

Featured Posts

is it quite common for the buyers to be present when a survey is being carried out? ive never heard of it that's all

I'd want to be present if I was buying, if only to query the surveyor's findings. Plus it might show me some services/features that I'd overlooked up to that point.

Tony

And worth adding that if blacking is due, then it's a good time to have it done to save on the cost of a further lift-out.

True, I have booked a hull survey on my boat, combining it with pressure wash and blacking and any other work needed in April.

Makes Surveyor's job much easier.

Hull survey 48ft boat - £375 incl.

Lenght of time taken by Surveyor will depend on length and condition of boat - 2 hours seems a bit tight.

L.

Edited by LEO

I chose to be present when my boat was surveyed and I learnt so much, despite having had share boats for over 20 years.

Also gives you the opportunity to see how the various systems work and to discuss any issues and how best to remedy them.

Depends on the boat and the surveyor. An hour or two is reasonable, could take more.

Tony

If I had commissioned a survey and it only took an hour I would be asking for a refund. That is nowhere near enough time to do a proper survey.

If I had commissioned a survey and it only took an hour I would be asking for a refund. That is nowhere near enough time to do a proper survey.

But you are also paying for the travel time & expenses and the time to write up the report as well, not to mention VAT, indemnity insurance and sending out quotes that don't result in work etc. So from £375 mentioned above, I can't see much over a couple of hours for the actual survey.

But you are also paying for the travel time & expenses and the time to write up the report as well, not to mention VAT, indemnity insurance and sending out quotes that don't result in work etc. So from £375 mentioned above, I can't see much over a couple of hours for the actual survey.

Surveys at the marina I moor at always seem to take at least half a day and usually most of the day.

Surveys at the marina I moor at always seem to take at least half a day and usually most of the day.

Surely that depends on the boat and the services within it.

I can't see a 20ft Norman taking the same time as a 70ft narrowboat with a trad engine and all amenities.

I'd want to be present if I was buying, if only to query the surveyor's findings. Plus it might show me some services/features that I'd overlooked up to that point.

Fully agree with being there if you can, you will get much more out of it, both explanations of what he is looking at and why, but also likely some verbal advice/comments/opinions that would never be documented in a written report.

That said, while I only paid to get the bear minimum to please the mortgage company, I wasn't present for when my house was surveyed and instead had a good chat which the guy after the event.

Daniel

Just looked at a boat, like it 60k plus, boat owner and Mrs seem genuine and nice, I believe them, he services his boat and knows what he is talking about, only 7 yrs old, should I get a survey? yes is obvious answer, but if I believe them to be true, which I do, why throw a k away, has anyone done the deal and not surveyed ? I know why I should, but can anyone tell me to go with my gut feelings ?

Just looked at a boat, like it 60k plus, boat owner and Mrs seem genuine and nice, I believe them, he services his boat and knows what he is talking about, only 7 yrs old, should I get a survey? yes is obvious answer, but if I believe them to be true, which I do, why throw a k away, has anyone done the deal and not surveyed ? I know why I should, but can anyone tell me to go with my gut feelings ?

Hi,

I have purchased 2 boats, both about 10 years old and never bothered with a survey, The last one cost £47000.

I am very practical (Fellow of the Institute of Advanced Mendologists), both boats have been excellent, the first was home built from scratch and a 'gem'. The second was built by a quality low volume builder and is excellent.

I find I can spot a 'lemon' pretty quickly, whether it be a house ( I inspected these all my working life) or boats (I have been boating since '75).

Not sure if I would recommend this course of action to all, but it works for me,

L.

• Greenie 1