Job interviews

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

Truth, all the way. Don't get caught out later.

As has been said turn it into a positive. If you are good at your job, it doesn't matter how you live your life.

If you lived in rental accommodation would that make any difference. If you lived in a mansion with your very rich and prosperous parents, would that make a difference.

Alfie Boe, lived on a park bench whilst at the Royal Clooage of Music. Alfie Boe?

I meet two, three and often four new people every day in my job. In chatting it often emerges I live on mebote. People are almost invariably fascinated and loving the idea, and feeling faintly 'edgy', saying they wished they could live on a bote too. Which of course they could, if they took the trouble. Even so, I can't remember ever getting a negative response.

I'd definitely go out of my way to broach the subject at an interview, if only as a way of soaking up interview time and averting such cringing questions such as "what do you see as your biggest weakness?" Which are usually only asked when the interviewer has run out of ideas for interesting stuff to ask the victim, in my limited experience. Make their job easier and get yerself noticed!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 2

It's nobodys business where or how you live.............................................................................................................................

..................................................................................................................................................................................................

..................................................................................................................................................................................................

.............................................................................................except the governments.

That's what I'd do if I had a job interview. laugh.png

I am expecting to be interviewed for jobs in the Midlands this year, and I know one question I will be asked over and over again is "How can you work here when you live in Ramsgate, Kent?" And so I will have to explain that I won't be commuting daily but will be staying on the boat for a month or so at a time and then heading south for the weekend to collect the mail and get the good lady to do my washing. So I am already prepared for telling interviewers about the boat, and my prediction will be that far, far more will be interested in it than would have a problem with it.

In fact living on the boat close to work will probably be seen as a good thing, ...however maybe ditch the low cut top......

Hmm, yes.

I've always thought working for a living is an over rated passtime.

pastime
ˈpɑːstʌɪm/
noun
  1. an activity that someone does regularly for enjoyment rather than work; a hobby.

I was once asked at an interview to give an example of where I'd demonstrated "hands-on practical skills".

I told them all about fitting out my boat and living aboard and they were quite impressed. I got the job.

It's nobodys business where or how you live.............................................................................................................................

.............................................................................................except the governments.

And Wife

:)

I meet two, three and often four new people every day in my job. In chatting it often emerges I live on mebote. People are almost invariably fascinated and loving the idea, and feeling faintly 'edgy', saying they wished they could live on a bote too. Which of course they could, if they took the trouble. Even so, I can't remember ever getting a negative response.

I'd definitely go out of my way to broach the subject at an interview, if only as a way of soaking up interview time and averting such cringing questions such as "what do you see as your biggest weakness?" Which are usually only asked when the interviewer has run out of ideas for interesting stuff to ask the victim, in my limited experience. Make their job easier and get yerself noticed!

Couldn't agree more!

I meet people through work all of the time and I'm often asked where I live. When I say I live on my boat, people are intrigued and chatty about it. Surprising how many people say how they'd like to do just that. I've never encountered any prejudice and if I ever do, that ain't my problem baby!

Be yourself & be happy with who you are and how you live.

Good luck!

My OH had a job with Royal Mail as a Christmas Casual last year . Made it to the face to face interview and through the second round with no issues. They do security checks on all prospective employees and that went ok with no problems. Never entered his head to say he lived anywhere but on the boat. Their response was they get a lot of boat people working for them at Christmas. They must have been happy with him as they offered him a full time job which he declined, so they said see you next year then. As long as you have an address trail it shouldnt be a problem. For utilities we use our invoice for the boat licence and a mobile phone bill.

Do you disclose you live on a boat when you have an interview?

Do you think there is any prejudice to boaters when it comes to jobs?

I have a permanent mooring, but my post goes to my mums so that is the address on my cv. I have a meeting with a rather prestigious company and don't know if I should be upfront about my floaty home.

During a very long interview for permanent part-time work with the owner of my present company, I was happy to raise the fact that I lived on a boat, but only after I sensed we were 'getting on'. By that point we liked each other and I was fairly confident I could do the work required and had something to offer. He had begun to talk in terms of my doing this and that in terms to upcoming projects and so on.

BUT, after about five minutes further conversation, I had a strong feeling he was beginning to back-track on his initial enthusiasm in hiring me -- he wasn't sure about the 'boating thing'. I thought I was beginning to lose it.

Note that I am not marina-based; we mostly continuously cruise. Sometimes commuting considerable distances from far-flung moorings by train and/or bus and/or bicycle. I could see that this way of living was simply out of his orbit, and because he was a very bright fellow he naturally had all sorts of questions over this that he couldn't immediately answer or compute.

I was completely candid and told him that, although it seemed a strange lifestyle to him, it was completely 'normal' for me (and many others) and assured him that it wouldn't in any way affect my ability in doing the work required, showing up on time (one of his big worries was that I'd get tired of long commutes and soon quit), generally helping the company to move forward in the ways envisioned, ...

My advice would be to tell the truth, but don't get carried away with the boaty details. It will just be too much of a distracton unless your interviewer(s) have some knowledge of liveaboard life. If you get the job, everyone will soon get to know all about your 'strange' ways of living on a boat and be full of questions about it. Most people think its wonderful ... even if they wouldn't do it themselves!

Edited by Jim Batty