Magnetic Nav lights

14skipper

Featured Posts

Watches with interest....

My plan to date is to get some magnets and mount them onto the lights we already have but took off because they get in the way 99% of the time when not on a river in the dark.

Daniel

If you are going where you REALLY need Nav lights, ensure that the ones you buy are suitable ( size and light output, example - few LED ones actually comply) and that you can mount them so that the angle of visibility is correct.

Example : Size of lens & visible distance depends on size of boat

If you are not going where you really need them (and are unlikely to be noticed) then any 'toy' ones will suffice.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

It's actually quite difficult to get nav lights to comply fully with the colregs if fitted to a canalboat. The small nav lights you see on most narrowboats are only for boats of less then 12m, so longer boats need the big lights; masthead lights are supposed to be a certain height above the deck; radar reflectors should be fitted.... How would you do all that on a narrowboat?

The point is to make reasonable efforts to be visible and try to comply as much as practically possible. In reality that's about all you can do.

Edited by blackrose

I bought some battery powered nav lights for my boat and then bought some sticky back magnetic strip and added it to them. Hey Presto! Magnetic nav lights! I'm well aware that they're crap and don't meet the colregs but then I've never used them and never intend to. They are there as a last ditch measure in an emergency. I spoke to the Newark office and the lockies before going onto the Tidal Trent and they said I was ok to go onto the Trent without nav lights provided I wasn't intending to travel at night or in fog. I wasn't. I imagined a scenario where engine failure left me mid channel at dusk and dropping my anchor. In that case I wanted to make myself visible to other craft. I simply couldn't justify fitting proper nav lights for one trip, and as other have said, it's virtually impossible to set them up properly on a narrowboat anyway.

Sorry, for the rambling - I bought my battery nav lights from the chandlery as Aspley Wharf for, I think £10. I think they took pity on me.

They are a lot like these http://www.piratescave.co.uk/emergency-navigation-light-set.ir?src=froogle&gclid=Cj0KEQiAlae1BRCU2qaz2__t9IIBEiQAKRGDVaPfNaIKVyG1MiVk1dg498j0wS2WfhhgHCsIOT_QeOkaAqvX8P8HAQ

Edited by Dave_P

I bought some battery powered nav lights for my boat and then bought some sticky back magnetic strip and added it to them. Hey Presto! Magnetic nav lights! I'm well aware that they're crap and don't meet the colregs but then I've never used them and never intend to. They are there as a last ditch measure in an emergency. I spoke to the Newark office and the lockies before going onto the Tidal Trent and they said I was ok to go onto the Trent without nav lights provided I wasn't intending to travel at night or in fog. I wasn't. I imagined a scenario where engine failure left me mid channel at dusk and dropping my anchor. In that case I wanted to make myself visible to other craft. I simply couldn't justify fitting proper nav lights for one trip, and as other have said, it's virtually impossible to set them up properly on a narrowboat anyway.

If you had broken down and anchored, then you shouldn't be showing side lights, a steaming light and a sternlight.

An all-round white light is the correct one to show.

Tony is correct, if you intend using lights then you should read the appropriate regs and buy /fit the correct lights or not bother at all. I did see NB sporting red lights on the starboard side and green on the port side, also seen one boat with blue stern light. Could have confused the hell out of other boasters

Phil

Tony is correct, if you intend using lights then you should read the appropriate regs and buy /fit the correct lights or not bother at all. I did see NB sporting red lights on the starboard side and green on the port side, also seen one boat with blue stern light. Could have confused the hell out of other boasters

Phil

A blue stern light is certainly not something to boast about ;)

If you are going where you REALLY need Nav lights, ensure that the ones you buy are suitable ( size and light output, example - few LED ones actually comply) and that you can mount them so that the angle of visibility is correct.

It's actually quite difficult to get nav lights to comply fully with the colregs if fitted to a canalboat. The small nav lights you see on most narrowboats are only for boats of less then 12m, so longer boats need the big lights; masthead lights are supposed to be a certain height above the deck; radar reflectors should be fitted.... How would you do all that on a narrowboat?

The point is to make reasonable efforts to be visible and try to comply as much as practically possible. In reality that's about all you can do.

I agree with the sentiment of both posts.

...I did see NB sporting red lights on the starboard side and green on the port side...l

Ouch

We have these: http://www.classicmarine.co.uk/boatstore/product.asp?strParents=0,33&CAT_ID=61&P_ID=184

They only meet the 12m/40ft requment, but they do at least meet that, and give out a good light in the right colour and the right angles, which some simply must not.

Daniel

................. I imagined a scenario where engine failure left me mid channel at dusk and dropping my anchor. In that case I wanted to make myself visible to other craft. I simply couldn't justify fitting proper nav lights for one trip, ....................

I am afraid that this 'thinking' is very prevalent in the boating world.

If you are in a situation such as you describe the last thing you want is a set of cheapo (£10 ?) battery powered lights that may or may not have sufficient power to be seen. In an emergency - you need the 'biggest brightest' light you can find and the correct colour that meets the regs.

A bit like saying " I don't expect to need an anchor therefore I'll just buy a 5kg grapnel as it will fit into my bow locker" - a false sense of security is worse than having no 'security' but knowing it.

Phil

One of my boats came with (and admittedly still has) a blue stern light for some reason, god knows why it's there!

Watches with interest....

My plan to date is to get some magnets and mount them onto the lights we already have but took off because they get in the way 99% of the time when not on a river in the dark.

Daniel

That is my thinking as well,might just get a set of lights and fix magnets on them,have a whole bunch that l use to fix on the christmas lights.

Sorry, for the rambling - I bought my battery nav lights from the chandlery as Aspley Wharf for, I think £10. I think they took pity on me.

They are a lot like these http://www.piratescave.co.uk/emergency-navigation-light-set.ir?src=froogle&gclid=Cj0KEQiAlae1BRCU2qaz2__t9IIBEiQAKRGDVaPfNaIKVyG1MiVk1dg498j0wS2WfhhgHCsIOT_QeOkaAqvX8P8HAQ

If you are mid channel in the dark and anchored then you need an all round white light to comply with colregs. A good idea is to turn on all the cbin lights and open the curtains.

Nick

One of the main requirements for the red and green lights is that thay must not be visible across the bow. On big ships they have proper boxes painted black inside that make the arc exact (from right ahead to 12 points on each bow (ie 45 degrees abaft the beam). It seems to me that a way of complying with this would be to do a bit of carpentry and make up the boxes with the red and green and white stern lights on a bit of wire and put in on the roof when needed.

Come to think of it, it would be rather bulky. Where would you store it.

Think again...

N

One of the main requirements for the red and green lights is that thay must not be visible across the bow. On big ships they have proper boxes painted black inside that make the arc exact (from right ahead to 12 points on each bow (ie 45 degrees abaft the beam). It seems to me that a way of complying with this would be to do a bit of carpentry and make up the boxes with the red and green and white stern lights on a bit of wire and put in on the roof when needed.

N

You need to make your mind up whether you're coming or going, Nick. The sternlight is the only one that shows through an arc of 12 points, or 135 degrees, one point (of the compass) being 11.25 degrees.

Sidelights each show through an arc of 10 points of the compass, which is 112.5 degrees, or 22.5 degrees abaft the beam.

The masthead, or steaming light, shows through the same arc as the two sidelights combined, which is 225 degrees.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Think again...

N

I've done something like this - it sits on the roof and stores away under one of the bunks. I'll take a photo next time I am on the boat.

I am afraid that this 'thinking' is very prevalent in the boating world.

If you are in a situation such as you describe the last thing you want is a set of cheapo (£10 ?) battery powered lights that may or may not have sufficient power to be seen. In an emergency - you need the 'biggest brightest' light you can find and the correct colour that meets the regs.

A bit like saying " I don't expect to need an anchor therefore I'll just buy a 5kg grapnel as it will fit into my bow locker" - a false sense of security is worse than having no 'security' but knowing it.

I don't know/recall the details, but Tom has been out at night on a river in EmilyAnne and I get the distinct feeling less good lights than the above where not on the agenda nfor future trips out!

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Theo, on 29 Jan 2016 - 4:56 PM, said:snapback.png

Think again...

N

I've done something like this - it sits on the roof and stores away under one of the bunks. I'll take a photo next time I am on the boat.

Here you go. In addition I have a mast light that clips onto the roof, and a stern light that hangs over the rear doors.

post-13477-0-30187800-1455394465_thumb.jpgpost-13477-0-14811000-1455394488_thumb.jpg