Moving a boat with no bss / license is it possible?

Jess--

Featured Posts

Thinking about getting a boat that has no current BSS or license and is in need of major work before it pass a bss test.

basically it is in need of a complete refurb from steel up.

Is there any way that it can be moved via the canal network to a place where I can carry out the work (off crt waters) by way of something similar to a temporary license.

other silly? options...

if all electrical / gas systems were permanently disconnected could it pass BSS without the disconnected systems being checked (obviously it would need to be re-inspected when the systems were replaced / repaired)

with no operational engine could it be licensed as an unpowered butty (temporarily)

Thinking about getting a boat that has no current BSS or license and is in need of major work before it pass a bss test.

Is there any way that it can be moved via the canal network to a place where I can carry out the work (off crt waters) by way of something similar to a temporary license.

other silly? options...

if all electrical / gas systems were permanently disconnected could it pass BSS without the disconnected systems being checked (obviously it would need to be re-inspected when the systems were replaced / repaired)

with no operational engine could it be licensed as an unpowered butty (temporarily)

Whatever way you end up moving it, the most important thing to ensure is that your Insurers are fully aware of what's happening and will maintain cover for the duration of both journey to where you're going to work on it and while it's being worked on. Most Insurers make cover conditional on holding a Navigation Authority boat Licence.

A tow all the way is one option, or you could just get a BSSC by ensuring that the engine installation, fuel and electric systems are up to standard and disconnecting, or taking out, everything that won't pass inspection in its current condition.

Having obtained a BSS Certificate, you can subsequently install/re-instate additional equipment or systems without the need to have the boat re-inspected, and without affecting the validity of the Certificate. You just need to make sure everything is up to a standard that will pass inspection when the next BSS examination is due.

As for the question of a Licence, . . . . either take out a short term unpowered Licence if you have it towed, or a standard short term Licence if you get a BSSC.

I to would contact CRT and see how that went.

Also depends on the trip length, but it sounds like its more than 20minutes round the corner.

Daniel

normal length of trip would be 5-6 days without rushing hard (single powered boat) adding a second (possibly unpowered) boat I would allow 14 days to be totally safe.

I have contacted crt via email and also given them details of the boat since it may still have a valid BSS that has been lost (it all becomes an academic exercise if their records say it has a bss even though I would get it re-tested after I had worked on it)

You could just get a BSSC by ensuring that the engine installation, fuel and electric systems are up to standard and disconnecting, or taking out, everything that won't pass inspection in its current condition.

And if the engine is hand startable you could completely disconnect the electrics as well.

But a 1-2 week trip with no electrics, no heating, no cooking would be unappealing. If you have some distance to go, would a move by road be better, and enable you to use the time to start the refurb instead?

And if the engine is hand startable you could completely disconnect the electrics as well.

But a 1-2 week trip with no electrics, no heating, no cooking would be unappealing. If you have some distance to go, would a move by road be better, and enable you to use the time to start the refurb instead?

engine is a beta (so not hand startable)

the only time someone would be on the boat would be if they were steering it, my normal boat would be with it for everything else.

Does the engine run.

Neil

at the moment I can say without doubt that the engine does not run, whether it's repairable or not is a total unknown, the price of the boat if I go for it means that it doesn't matter if I have to replace the engine (but that isn't going to stop me from trying to get it going)

I'm sure there are already some on here speculating about which boat it is, all I will say is that it has been discussed on here quite recently.

I would be buying on the basis of treating it as a bare hull, anything that can be re-used from it's current equipment will be a nice bonus but my assumption is that anything other than steelwork / stern gear and windows will have to be replaced with new

other silly? options...

You can buy short term license and sign "Declaration for a Short Term Licence" and no BSS is required. You will have to get an insurance though.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/1196.pdf

and

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/1197.pdf

Edited by Staarek

Well CRT have replied

Hi Jess,
Many thanks for your email.
Unfortunately, every boat in the water must be licensed, but in order to obtain the licence the boat would need to have a BSC. If you let me know which waterways you intend to travel on, I can contact he enforcement officer(s) for further advice.
Kindest regards

I have replied to them giving details of the route that I would plan on taking and approximate timescales.

I have also raised the question about the declaration and short term license.

I have also raised the possibility that they may already have details of a valid bss in place for the boat. (given the past history of the boat I would put the chances of this being the case at somewhere around 40%)

Well CRT have replied

I have replied to them giving details of the route that I would plan on taking and approximate timescales.

I have also raised the possibility that they may already have details of a valid bss in place for the boat. (given the past history of the boat I would put the chances of this being the case at somewhere around 40%)

Mmmm......

Perhaps I should withdraw what I said earlier...

That said CRT do seem to have a record for 'it depends who you speak to'.

It surely cannot be the first time this issue has come up since the inception of the waterways.

Well CRT have replied

Well, it's CRT, they don't have a clue. You don't have to have valid BSS if you sign "Declaration for a Short Term Licence". I had a boat on short term license for couple of months in the past and its position was recorded by enforcement and I didn't have any issues whatsoever.

2z9droo.jpg

Edited by Staarek

I thought you could claim exemption from the BSS if your boat had no testable systems on board....

Dan

There's the problem, the boat does contain testable systems. The fact that those systems are damaged beyond use and will be ripped out is where my problems lie, they are there and I can't remove or repair them prior to moving the boat

An unlicenced boat should be removed from CaRT waters within 28 days. That's what you are doing isn't it?

I could probably get away with that if the bat was already in the water, as it stands it is on dry land, I suspect they may take a dim view of me putting an unlicensed boat into the water to move it.

However, if it happened to fall into the water all by itself, you'd be doing CRT a favour by removing it within 28 days. 14, I think you said it'd take you. It takes them months to remove unlicensed boats around here, especially if they cant find the current owner. Or it didn't have a clear license number. You'd be saving them thousands.

Or, as staarek says, if the current untraceable owner claims it has no testable elements, and pays for a short term license, CRT are unlikely to check that. Especially if nobody lets them on board to look round.

Edited by eggpie