Orange flames on my hob

Phil Ambrose

Featured Posts

I'm worried because all the 4 burners on my hob and likewise the oven are burning with orange tipped flames. I think I'm right in assuming this would indicate incomplete combustion. The oven is a separate unit, the hob is inset in the worktop, both items have separate gas lines feeding them. There is plenty of ventilation and I have tried switching bottles, soooo what to do next. And yes I have a CO alarm and have tested it

Help please.

Phil

ETA this has only just started

Edited by Phil Ambrose

If it all them, it has to be low oxygen or low gas pressure. Plenty of ventilation would eradicate low oxygen, so I would investigate low pressure.

Regulator not working properly, or an inline tap not fully on or a blockage in the main feed.

Edited by rasputin

Yup, waiting for him.

Phil

I can't claim to be expert on gas hob combustion, but in my experience this is usually caused by corrosion restricting the little gas/air ways in the cast iron burner assemblies. Lift them off and clean all the little holes/grooves then try again!

I can't claim to be expert on gas hob combustion, but in my experience this is usually caused by corrosion restricting the little gas/air ways in the cast iron burner assemblies. Lift them off and clean all the little holes/grooves then try again!

All at the same time, including the oven?

Edited by rasputin

All at the same time, including the oven?

No not really. I didn't notice Fill mentioning the oven until you pointed it out!

Its a symptom of too much gas in the gas/air mixture. As they are ALL doing it I'd be checking the gas regulator pressure to start with.

(Sounds to me as though its too high.)

This works on ours at home, (though mains not fed by a LPG cylinder).

Edited by MJG

Off-topic but our home gas hob started burning with a green (!!!??) flame a couple of years back. We called British Gas who gave us all the "turn off everything, don't switch any lights on..." advice. Then the gas man turned up and asked to see it. He said "Oohh" or words to that effect. While we watched it the green started to lessen and then eventually after about 15 minutes went away completely. We all shrugged and assumed that some contaminant must have entered the supply somewhere.

No help to Phil but I thought it an interesting enough story to share.

The gas comes out of the jet and a clip resticts the air to gas mix, so remove the burner and clean the assembly of and rust and dead flies. move the restricter clip to adjust flame.

I'm aware that cleaning is sometimes necessary, however that does not explain why this should suddenly happen to all the four burners on our inset hob and also on our separate oven which has a separate gas supply. Also why after waiting 1/2 an hour do all the burners appear to be burning correctly?

Phil

I'm aware that cleaning is sometimes necessary, however that does not explain why this should suddenly happen to all the four burners on our inset hob and also on our separate oven which has a separate gas supply. Also why after waiting 1/2 an hour do all the burners appear to be burning correctly?

Phil

Wobbly regulator

If in doubt, take it to pieces, put it back together again, throw the spare screws away, never worry about them again.

No, no. The spare screws should be put into a drawer along with all the other spare screws, washers, blown bulbs, fuses and short pieces of wire... oh, and chargers that don't fit anything.

No, no. The spare screws should be put into a drawer along with all the other spare screws, washers, blown bulbs, fuses and short pieces of wire... oh, and chargers that don't fit anything.

AKA 'the man drawer'.

Every home, boat and caravan should have one.

My guess (and it is no more than that), is that if it is all burners including the oven, that it it is probably the regulator.

It never seems instinctive to me that orange flame is too much gas, and nor enough air, but of course MTB's description fits the facts. (Think of Bunsen burner experiments when you did science).

Provided you have a suitable test point, you can make a simple manometer with just a few metres of clear plastic tube, and can check the pressure, (as inches of water).

However if the regulator is any great age, I'd probably replace it anyway.