Stroudwater Navigation - when?

RichM

Featured Posts

As a member of the Cotswold Canals Trust(an armchair member ),I follow the activity of the trust with great interest. The Cotswold Canal Trust website has a latest news section which is kept up to date,including a webcam of the activity at Lodgemore bridge. Latest news features a film by professor Mark Horton which is about the situation now. "Cotswold Canals in Pictures" website is very helpfull if you want to see the whole canal.in pictures. The plan is to extend the canal to Brimscombe Port,a little way past Stroud. The port area now belongs to the trust and awaits a developer.The Ship Inn at Brimscombe Port is still open and is recomended,although it does not sell draught Guinness .I cant find it at the moment,but their is a site which gives you a photo trip along the towpath and shows the way to get around any section where the towpath is not a public right of way.

I too am an "armchair" member. One of my 2016 resolutions will be to go and see the canals, or bits of them - I have never been, I was "converted" by a Trust member called Clive during a visit to the Canal du Berry a few years ago.

The Ship Inn at Brimscombe Port is still open and is recomended,although it does not sell draught Guinness .I cant find it at the moment, but......

Don't worry, I can't always find my way home when I've been on the Guinness. Mind you, not being able to find the pub in the first place has never been quite the same difficulty.... ;)

I too am an "armchair" member. One of my 2016 resolutions will be to go and see the canals, or bits of them - I have never been, I was "converted" by a Trust member called Clive during a visit to the Canal du Berry a few years ago.

That'll be Clive Field I guess. A true stalwart of the trust.

PM me if you visit here and I'll gladly show you some sights/pubs.

Armitage Shanks and Curchward make valid points. I'll do some kicking after Xmas!

That'll be Clive Field I guess. A true stalwart of the trust.

PM me if you visit here and I'll gladly show you some sights/pubs.

Armitage Shanks and Curchward make valid points. I'll do some kicking after Xmas!

That's right, met him and his wife (Jill?), charming people and very persuasive in getting us to join the cause!

Thank you Keble, that is a very kind offer, we'll see how the year pans out.

Just thinking about canal web sites, quite a few canals have Wikipedia articles.

I rather like the map format they use; see this example: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thames_and_Severn_Canal

That's right, met him and his wife (Jill?), charming people and very persuasive in getting us to join the cause!

Thank you Keble, that is a very kind offer, we'll see how the year pans out.

Yes indeed that is Jill!

• 3 months later...

Has anyone heard any more on this? I know the bid was due to be submitted sometime this month (can't remember exactly when) but I can't seem to find much information about it. I would have thought there would be more hype!

Cheers

Has anyone heard any more on this? I know the bid was due to be submitted sometime this month (can't remember exactly when) but I can't seem to find much information about it. I would have thought there would be more hype!

Cheers

Bid will be decided 19th April, but will NOT be divulged until after May local elections.

I agree it's hard to find this out (I have been on about this for a while), see this story: http://www.cotswoldcanals.com/pages/posts/heritage-lottery-fund-visit-report-830.php?p=10

Following for personal interest. Would love to moor actually in Stroud somewhere!

My daughter's Other Grandparents seem to think that work on the tunnel under the M5 is going to start quite soon. My ex-fil was telling me about the shape of it and how they'll do it. Not sure though where they get their info from- they're fans of some sort, but I'm not sure how closely they follow it.

Following for personal interest. Would love to moor actually in Stroud somewhere!

My daughter's Other Grandparents seem to think that work on the tunnel under the M5 is going to start quite soon. My ex-fil was telling me about the shape of it and how they'll do it. Not sure though where they get their info from- they're fans of some sort, but I'm not sure how closely they follow it.

Me too, but as yet there are no moorings. It's likely to be at least 2020 before there will be access from the G&S.

As to the M5 crossing, the plan is to run a canal channel next to the river Frome. This web site gives more info than CCT's: http://www.cotswoldcanals.net/phase_1b.php

I was really impressed as to how much further the work has gone on from Stroud to the East, Kathy and I walked most of the length to the tunnel earlier in the year and the major obstacles are obvious......but then you have tonnes of massive canal works stones stored at key parts. Accessibility is key, not only for walkers , but canoes are actively using restored sections already. Major engineering works are going on at some lock restorations (even over the weekends for those who cannot attend midweek)

I was really impressed as to how much further the work has gone on from Stroud to the East, Kathy and I walked most of the length to the tunnel earlier in the year and the major obstacles are obvious......but then you have tonnes of massive canal works stones stored at key parts. Accessibility is key, not only for walkers , but canoes are actively using restored sections already. Major engineering works are going on at some lock restorations (even over the weekends for those who cannot attend midweek)

Yes indeed, I worked quite a lot at Ham Mill lock, great fun even though I was a mere builder's labourer!

The canoeists at Capels Mill have installed "strings" across the canal at great height. They hang slalom thingies from these for events and are out in all weathers.

There's also a lot of attractive waterside housing going up. Ebley Wharf is brilliant. I can recommend the New York burgers at "Munch" open air cafe (blankets and hotties and dog biscuits available).

The Cotswold Canals are inspiring (as an aside, and much further afield, so is what is happening on the Newry Canal in northern Ireland for similar reasons)

A vision for the coal canal perhaps?

Edited by magpie patrick

Yes indeed, I worked quite a lot at Ham Mill lock, great fun even though I was a mere builder's labourer!

The canoeists at Capels Mill have installed "strings" across the canal at great height. They hang slalom thingies from these for events and are out in all weathers.

There's also a lot of attractive waterside housing going up. Ebley Wharf is brilliant. I can recommend the New York burgers at "Munch" open air cafe (blankets and hotties and dog biscuits available).

Ebley's really nice now, I spent a morning there when I was we and we were considering buying a house there and having only experienced Westward Road before, I was pleasantly surprised. I could really enjoy living in that area, plus it's got that huge park across the (busy) road for children.

Still, a way off for now. I suppose my daughter'd be too old for parks by the time it might be a possibility!

Edited by Witchword

The Ebley / Cainscross area is where I lived for the first 18 years of my life and indeed my old house now looks over the canal (it was just a bit of grass when I lived there).

• 4 weeks later...

I was reading through an old BW 'Unlocked and Unlimited' leaflet the other day, and it confidently stated that the Cotswold Canals would be open - throughout - by 2011! Ah well. But I've no doubt that it'll happen, if a little slower than we'd like.

I was reading through an old BW 'Unlocked and Unlimited' leaflet the other day, and it confidently stated that the Cotswold Canals would be open - throughout - by 2011! Ah well. But I've no doubt that it'll happen, if a little slower than we'd like.

I was watching on youtube an interview with someone from BW about the Lancaster, they stated that the northern reaches would be open by 2005, the were a bit out on that one!

I have more confidence that the Cotswold will be open to Stroud in a reasonable time frame, open all the way through is perhaps a bit more of a pipe dream though.

• 3 weeks later...

Not great news today, the current Pahse 1B HLF bid has failed

http://www.cotswoldcanals.com/pages/posts/stroudwater-navigation-funding-bid-fails-854.php

However work continues and there is hope that a future bid will succeed.

Tim

Such a shame. I was really hoping they'd be successful. My father has been following this project since the 1980s. He's now in his 70s and may never get to see it open. Does anyone have an insight to share as to why it was rejected?

It seemed concerning when I noticed how the bid was submitted. It was submitted via several large ring binders as you can see below. I doubt the HLF assessor would have been very amused. Imagine having to sift through all of that to find information relevant to the criteria you're assessing. Time consuming, difficult and inefficient. I think it would have carried a lot more weight had it been submitted electronically, it is 2016 after all... I worked in an IT consultancy type role for many years and offered to help them (for free!!) but I didn't hear back so I do wonder... Still, their efforts should still be appreciated.

11505233-large.jpg

Edited by Armitage Shanks

It seemed concerning when I noticed how the bid was submitted. It was submitted via several large ring binders as you can see below. I doubt the HLF assessor would have been very amused. Imagine having to sift through all of that to find information relevant to the criteria you're assessing. Time consuming, difficult and inefficient. I think it would have carried a lot more weight had it been submitted electronically, it is 2016 after all... I worked in an IT consultancy type role for many years and offered to help them (for free!!) but I didn't hear back so I do wonder... Still, their efforts should still be appreciated.

I would assume that the rules for such a submission required a hard copy plus an electronic copy.

is this not the case?

did the group not submit it electronically?