Who needs a winding hole!!!

Featured Posts

I wonder what the hull shape is like under water? Very high cabin roof (or very short man steering!) ideal for anyone over 6 feet tall.

Cost is quite low and I would imagine it's been maintained to a very high standard given its previous life.

In the 60's there was a trip boat that tied below the Star pub lock at Stone IIRC it was a BCN day boat that you could mount the rudder at either end. No Idea as to the propulsion set up it had metal hoops & canvas covers, used to set off at around 8pm & return around 11pm on the weekend No Idea who operated it, or for how long or what became of it can never remember seeing a name or any lettering of any kind on it.

I wonder what the hull shape is like under water? Very high cabin roof (or very short man steering!) ideal for anyone over 6 feet tall.

Cost is quite low and I would imagine it's been maintained to a very high standard given its previous life.

I think it's steered from the middle, I had a look at it in the marina last summer.

Here is another one that doesnt need to turn round. I have a feeling its powered by 4 thrusters but cant find any details at the moment.

EkYWtnx.jpg

xvcZp9L.jpg

That's a unusual design, It uses thruster in four ninety degree tubes ( One at each corner). To do ahead you use the two rear thrusters. To steer you reduce power on one thruster and increase on the other depend id you want to go left or right.

That's a unusual design, It uses thruster in four ninety degree tubes ( One at each corner). To do ahead you use the two rear thrusters. To steer you reduce power on one thruster and increase on the other depend id you want to go left or right.

That is what I thought but couldnt find any details about it. I have seen drawings in the waterways mags in the past.

Answer to the question posed by Warrington White is quite simple.

At each end of the boat there is a single propeller with a rudder on each side of it. We can close the forward end of the rudders over the prop to create a ‘bow’ under the water line, however his facility is not used very often as we tend to leave the front rudders open to use the forward propeller as a very effective ‘bow thruster’.

The other advantage of not closing up the front rudders when cruising is, it is possible to propel the boat using the ‘rear prop’ to push and the ‘front prop’ to pull the boat along at the same time. This makes the boat incredibly manoeuvrable, it can turn on its own axis and move sideways.

Answer to the question posed by Warrington White is quite simple.

At each end of the boat there is a single propeller with a rudder on each side of it. We can close the forward end of the rudders over the prop to create a ‘bow’ under the water line, however his facility is not used very often as we tend to leave the front rudders open to use the forward propeller as a very effective ‘bow thruster’.

The other advantage of not closing up the front rudders when cruising is, it is possible to propel the boat using the ‘rear prop’ to push and the ‘front prop’ to pull the boat along at the same time. This makes the boat incredibly manoeuvrable, it can turn on its own axis and move sideways.

Do you think there is any danger of damaging the lead rudder by hitting anything

It has never happened yet in the 12 years we have been using it, but I suppose the danger is there! There is a substantial counter overhang on each end for added protection.

To clear up a few other points.

The generator is 5.4kw. The underwater shape is more or less conventional with the 'front' rudders closed. The steerer has their own compartment above the engine room, above waist high is exposed to the elements. We do supply a large umbrella if required.

To clear up a few other points.

The generator is 5.4kw. The underwater shape is more or less conventional with the 'front' rudders closed. The steerer has their own compartment above the engine room, above waist high is exposed to the elements. We do supply a large umbrella if required.

And you do a blood good job with her, or did if she is now for sale. I have seen the look on the faces of some of your passengers

We are not selling the boat out of choice, it's a simple matter of economics. At the end of 2015 we came to the end of our term with our financial backer. This was always going to be the case as our backer had rescued the service from closing after St John Ambulance put all their boats up for sale three years ago.

For 2016, the crew have formed their own charity with themselves being owners and trustees. There were two boats operating in Northamptonshire; this one (Northamptonshire Crusader) on the river Nene and Mountbatten Crusader a smaller and older boat operating on the Grand Union Canal from Gayton Junction. We have very little money and our best option to keep the service going is to sell one boat. We chose to sell this one purely based on cost. The older boat is cheaper to run and we should get more money from the sale of the larger newer boat giving us the best opportunity to continue providing free trips to disabled and disadvantaged persons.

You can see what we provide on www.crusadercommunityboating.org.uk