Washing machine

hilaryb

Featured Posts

Zanussi ZWC1301. Best of all the compacts. Everywhere out of stock until end of Jan other than a couple of companies at full RRP. Usually around £384

Not if you have a Victron Phoenix combi inverter.

Edited by pearley

recommendations for a replacement for a dead Candy washing machine...boat size! 3.5 kg I think.

Why have a small one, I made that mistake years ago on a boat. All my narrowboats have had full size fitted including my present boat, the choice is huge the price is much less and the amount of leccy used on todays machines is similar.

Tim

I have one and it's a good machine, but why do you say it's the best of the compacts? What makes it better than others?

I've met many boaters that have had Candy and then having bought the Zanussi said its better on. Every respect. Better spin, quiet and reliable. No doubt why they've sold out. Have been warned to avoid the White Knight.

Not if you have a Victron Phoenix combi inverter.

Assuming you mean not enough power, our Mastervolt 2500 doesn't have a problem with it. I think the Victron unit you mention has a kind of power sharing function. Could it be that too much power was being saved/used for charging or any other priority equipment?

Plenty of power. The Victron is 3000w. There is some circuitry in the Zanussi called Grid Detection which has taken a dislike to the inverter. OnBoard Energy tell me they know of at least another 8 boaters with the same problem.

Why have a small one, I made that mistake years ago on a boat. All my narrowboats have had full size fitted including my present boat, the choice is huge the price is much less and the amount of leccy used on todays machines is similar.

Tim

The story of my life.

I tend to agree that we bought a Candy 3.5kg some years ago (which has been nothing short of excellent) but we have agreed that if/when it spins its last, we will replace it with a full size machine at around half the cost (we left room for a full size machine.) We have full size Beko at home (not the one that does the Novememebr 5th trick) which cost buttons and is excellent. Wouldn't pay the premium for a small machine again, given today's low prices of standard machines.

Edited by Guest

Plenty of power. The Victron is 3000w. There is some circuitry in the Zanussi called Grid Detection which has taken a dislike to the inverter. OnBoard Energy tell me they know of at least another 8 boaters with the same problem.

Weird! Does it do any damage or just refuse to work?

Weird! Does it do any damage or just refuse to work?

It will wash perfectly OK but when it gets to the point where it should switch to rinse it will stall. Switch it manually to rinse and it will stall again when it gets to spin. Victron said to try increasing voltage and/,or putting a resistive load on at the same time. Didn't work.

Odd, very annoying and I expect something that could be resolved with ease at the design/development stage of the washing machine.

Daniel

Which is why I have just written a long letter to Zanussi detailing our problems and saying that there machine is or was the preferred washer for boaters.

Ideal. Would be interesting to know if they reply.

Daniel

I doubt they will ever reply, we boaters probably amount to a hell of a lot less than one percent of their sales, in fact no where near even one percent and they would probably state their guarantee doesnt cover useage on a boat.

Tim

Tim

Really? I have a compact because it only draws 1.6 kW which my generator can handle while running the battery charger at the same time. All the full size machines I looked at drew at least 2.4 kW. If there's an automatic that only draws 1.6 kW I'd like to know about it and it will be my next machine. I don't bother messing about trying to hot fill my machine. Cold fill is a lot simpler as long as you have sufficient electrical capability to heat the water.

Edited by blackrose

Sur le continent, and particularly in the Eastern part, they have small, top-loading, non-electronic machines which I suspect are cheap, square-wave friendly, and pretty frugal. Unfortunately, they are not available here.

An opportunity for somebody?

Edited by George94

I doubt they will ever reply, we boaters probably amount to a hell of a lot less than one percent of their sales, in fact no where near even one percent and they would probably state their guarantee doesnt cover useage on a boat.

I don't know. A reply perhaps optermistic but if it gets to the right people, which it might, I think you would be slightly surprised. It will be a smaller design team than you might expect and while I expect boats are indeed sub 1% of 600mm units, I wouldn't be surprised if a significant percentage of sales of compact units are in mobile applications.

Daniel.

We were waiting to buy a new Zanussi ZWC1301 (John Lewis now apparently do have stock) but I've found an almost new one. Problem is, the person selling it doesn't have the drum transit screws and it's a fair distance. Is there anyone here who has one or a ZWC1300 who's also got the three large screws we could borrow and not a million miles from Uxbridge? I can buy them as spares but delivery times and identifying the correct part number looks to be problematic.

Happy new year to all!

Mark

Edited by Markinaboat

We were waiting to buy a new Zanussi ZWC1301 (John Lewis now apparently do have stock) but I've found an almost new one. Problem is, the person selling it doesn't have the drum transit screws and it's a fair distance. Is there anyone here who has one or a ZWC1300 who's also got the three large screws we could borrow and not a million miles from Uxbridge? I can buy them as spares but delivery times and identifying the correct part number looks to be problematic.

Happy new year to all!

Mark

Sorry I keep most bits and pieces but I think I chucked mine away years ago.

I run mine from the mains and from a Honda generator. The generator is supposed to produce a smoother sine wave than mains, but the machine doesn't like it and I often have to wait for a while to start the cycle. Sometimes it will start straight away and other times I might have to wait 20 mins. I always wondered what it was.