Liveaboards and the curse of visitors

CDS

Featured Posts

I lost my dad many years ago so I haven't been able to share my good fortune of boat owning with him but mum, on the other hand has been on a couple of adventures. Once in January last year when she and I brought my new purchase from Rugby Boats to Droitwich Marina and the second time was this year. I'm a single hander and I injured my back in May and was laid up on dry land for 4 months, She came with me to bring it back to the marina (I'd lost confidence as to whether I could do even one lock by myself). As it turned out, I was able to manage but she was terrific and always wanted to get stuck in...one way or another! And although she took a tumble and ended up with a bruised behind, it didn't put her off. It's a bit scary (for me) that she's not so steady on her feet but she loves to feel needed and I'm happy to oblige.

She's just celebrated her 88th birthday!

Some lovely posts on here,especially with all the upset and turmoil going on everywhere,

getting older is the thing I guess

Your dad obviously enjoyed his time on board. He soon became known to other boaters from the sounds of things.

You never know how long he will be able to visit you, so why not invite him again soon? I'm glad you're building a relationship, because once he's gone, you'll never get a chance to ask some of those questions most sons inevitably have.

Can't wait to get my dad back on next year. I can only hope he's fit enough to come.

I lost my dad in February and I'm kind of lucky. We had a great relationship, I saw a lot of him when he was alive and there was nothing left unsaid between us.

He was though, at times, a right royal pain in the arse. biggrin.png I miss him

Substitute "2004" for "February" and I could have written that more or less word for word.

My dad died in 1979, never having seen me graduate from flying training, never saw a narrowboat, mobile phone, computer, central locking, flat screen telly, no internet or email.

Blimey. How did we cope in those days!!

That's a shame, my dad died in 1981 shortly after I graduated as a helicopter pilot. I took him in the jump seat on a rig trip in an S61N about 6 months before he died. Got the super-8 movie to prove it! He was an outdoor type and taught me to sail, rock climb, ride horses etc at an early age but he was not an aviator. We had a good few canal boating holidays too, but it did get a bit "young lion, old lion" at times!

Your dad obviously enjoyed his time on board. He soon became known to other boaters from the sounds of things.

You never know how long he will be able to visit you, so why not invite him again soon? I'm glad you're building a relationship, because once he's gone, you'll never get a chance to ask some of those questions most sons inevitably have.

Can't wait to get my dad back on next year. I can only hope he's fit enough to come.

Thanks for that,it was very kind of you to say it and i,m doing as you suggest

That's a shame, my dad died in 1981 shortly after I graduated as a helicopter pilot. I took him in the jump seat on a rig trip in an S61N about 6 months before he died. Got the super-8 movie to prove it! He was an outdoor type and taught me to sail, rock climb, ride horses etc at an early age but he was not an aviator. We had a good few canal boating holidays too, but it did get a bit "young lion, old lion" at times!

Thats good to hear also.I knew there was more to you than smelly fish

Glad you got him airborne. A precious memory!

We had a visitor last Christmas and I still feel bad that I forgot to warn him about this - as he left and went up the steps he banged his head on the edge of the heavy metal sliding hatch. I have done this to myself many times (in the early days).

With visitors first thing that comes into mind to tell them is to keep well away from the stove when it's hot.

It was manely fun, then?

Haha, you made me roar with laughter!

Thats good to hear also.I knew there was more to you than smelly fish

Barely!

Glad you got him airborne. A precious memory!

Yup, and I took him up for an hour in a glider, couldn't get him to fly a co-ordinated turn though!

We had a visitor last Christmas and I still feel bad that I forgot to warn him about this - as he left and went up the steps he banged his head on the edge of the heavy metal sliding hatch. I have done this to myself many times (in the early days).

With visitors first thing that comes into mind to tell them is to keep well away from the stove when it's hot.

What sort of visitors do you have, EF?!!!

Haha, you made me roar with laughter!

Barely!

Yup, and I took him up for an hour in a glider, couldn't get him to fly a co-ordinated turn though!

I can remember difficulties like that with students. After landing, I'd often tap the T&S and mutter to myself. Stude says 'What's the matter with it, sir?'

I'd say - 'I must get that changed - it's been reading wrong for most of the trip!'

Happy days.

Apologies for thread hijack sick.gif

What sort of visitors do you have, EF?!!!

Our stove is in the sort of place where you can easily brush into it. I burnt my knee on it this Summer - it only takes an instant. There might not be flames in the stove to attract attention, it's still scorching with hot coals a-glowing in it innit?

Thinking about bringing a 5-year-old next Spring.

When we were expecting children we checked the house as if we were crawling toddlers, as I remember there was only one accident when our son, 2 years old then, knocked a glass candle holder off the mantlepiece and tried to pick it up - couple of stitches. The peculiar thing here is that it was my cousin's husband who did the stitching, at Welwyn Garden City horse piddle.

Our daughter got a scar from when a horse threw her off then jumped over her and caught her cheek with a hoof/horseshoe.

And our son fell out of a bunk bed and broke his arm ('greenstick fracture' = not too bad).

They are still alive at ages 23 & 28. Our son just got back from 2 weeks in Seff Effrica - with 10 packets of Royco bobotie mix for us. Ordered by text-message from me! You couldn't do this in the Old Days!

Edited by Emerald Fox

Our stove is in the sort of place where you can easily brush into it. I burnt my knee on it this Summer - it only takes an instant. There might not be flames in the stove to attract attention, it's still scorching with hot coals a-glowing in it innit?

- with 10 packets of Royco bobotie mix for us. Ordered by text-message from me! You couldn't do this in the Old Days!

Ah yes, that's a bit different to ours, difficult to burn yourself on it unless you use the chimney for support when climbing the steps into the cratch.

I had to google the Royco thing! Looks very interesting indeed. Import some and distribute it here!