Stern decking: what to use? and where from?

Featured Posts

We desperately need to replace the floor of our stern. Currently it is wooden decking that is rotting away and falling apart. I have been told rhino board/ hexa grip is the best stuff. But does anyone know of any good suppliers? We live in Wales but our boat is in Gloucester at the moment. Also does everyone agree that this is the best stuff for the job? Has anyone bought handle pulls as opposed to ring pulls to set into the board and if so where from?

Ta in advance

Amber

Most decent timber suppliers can get the boards, Gorilla boards,rhino, hexa grip etc.

if you take your existing boards to them to cut, it makes it far easier.

Key to longevity is to treat the edges before you put them on your boat. - several coats of black enamel paint is the cheapest option, varnish, gel and silicone are others.

The 'key words' are; phenolic resin impregnated plywood.Daniel

And the next is ' you get what you pay for' - so beware anything that isnt expensive or has no branding on it eg Buffulo Board- as its probably rubbish and will delaminate in months. Guess how I know this..

Is it a cruiser stern, is exposed to the weather or do you have a hood of some sort? Some things do getting wet some of the time better than others, generally like Daniel says resin ply is best if it's constantly exposed to the elements.

K

Okay I have a follow up question with this one..what thickness would you recommend? 18ml feels like it could be too light weight. 24ml and I'd be worried abt the pieces being too heavy to lift. Any thoughts/ recommendations?

I've used Stockboard in other applications. It's not very rigid so need supporting. Its advantage is that it is made from plastic so doesn't rot.

Often available from agricultural merchants, which might suit you better.

Regarding handle pulls, do you mean something like:

s-l225.jpg

Google "recessed drawer handles" will find you plenty of options. I've got the ring type, and I can see how larger handles would be easier. Make sure you fit a plate on the back rather than just screwing into the board or using small bolts with a plate or large washers behind.

Regarding handle pulls, do you mean something like:

s-l225.jpg

Google "recessed drawer handles" will find you plenty of options. I've got the ring type, and I can see how larger handles would be easier. Make sure you fit a plate on the back rather than just screwing into the board or using small bolts with a plate or large washers behind.

They look fab! Yes just the thing! I think we are going for 24ml. The sodden decking that is currently there is 35ml and we manage to lift that no problem. Thanks for all your input!

Why not use aluminium chequer plate, its light comes in various thicknesses and lasts and lasts.

Neil

And in my experience in the wet it slips and slips...

Just put rubber matting if worried.

Neil

And rubber to rubber contact isn't great in the wet either.

Edited by blackrose