The war on dog poo in Whilton won

gazza

Featured Posts

I like the fatuous comment at the end from "kevo50" who clearly thinks dogs should be allowed to shit anywhere with impugnity. Reminds me of those on the forum who get in a lather as soon as someone else notices an unlicensed boat.

I was tempted to reply but thought better of it, George Carlin's quote would be entirely apt for Kevo :)

Still, some of the contributions to the Cobbler's woes make kevo look an absolute genius!

They can be fined up to £1,000 for this offence. A few well-publicised maximum fines might concentrate the minds of those people who think it is ok to just let their dog walk behind them and crap where it likes.

Sounds like a fair cop.

They can be fined up to £1,000 for this offence. A few well-publicised maximum fines might concentrate the minds of those people who think it is ok to just let their dog walk behind them and crap where it likes.

Some do that along the towpath by our houses.

Must say general litter is far more in evidence these days around us. It staggers me as to how arrogant some people are about leaving litter behind, and I would like to see these people filmed and fined too.

Oops! Anyway, you made me look and there is a word "impugn" but with a different meaning from "impunity". Well that's my excuse anyway!

I like the word "impugn" and have learned something ;)

<Pedant mode on>

The offence isn't letting your dog crap, the offence is not clearing it up afterwards. Rarely is it actually prohibited for a dog to take a crap, as long as you clear up.

<Pendant mode off>

<Pedant mode on>

The offence isn't letting your dog crap, the offence is not clearing it up afterwards. Rarely is it actually prohibited for a dog to take a crap, as long as you clear up.

<Pendant mode off>

No argument from me.

<Pedant mode on>

<Pendant mode off>

Yes that is true, although even then it is not particularly nice. Although I suppose it will depend to some extent on how solid the faeces is, but when it is picked up it must nevertheless leave some residue behind surely. Whilst it may not be too much of an issue on a footpath, personally I wouldn't particularly like to lie on grass which had just had some shit scraped off it, nor have my kids playing on such grass (if I had any kids!).

I like the word "impugn" and have learned something ;)

So I'll be looking for a post from you containing "impugn with impunity" or the like.

must admit it is the only down side of owning a dog! I have a little bag attached to the dog lead which holds 'PBs' and also some hand cleanser in a small bottle. This time of year with lots of dried leaves around really helps in being able to pick up and leave nothing behind!

Yes that is true, although even then it is not particularly nice. Although I suppose it will depend to some extent on how solid the faeces is, but when it is picked up it must nevertheless leave some residue behind surely. Whilst it may not be too much of an issue on a footpath, personally I wouldn't particularly like to lie on grass which had just had some shit scraped off it, nor have my kids playing on such grass (if I had any kids!).

So I'll be looking for a post from you containing "impugn with impunity" or the like.

It will happen ;)

Indeed and most considerate dog owners will consider this. Simon has developed a rather neat habit of doing what he needs to do to the side of any foot path or off it completely in the longer grass/growth towards the edge. I cant claim I trained him to do this he just developed the habit and gets praised when he does so it seems to have stuck. (the habit that is nothing else). So if there is ever any tiny residue left it wont cause any real harm. He also seems to know where the nearest poo bin is on our regular walk at home so I don't have to carry t far.

I was just clarifying the point really regarding what is actually an offence and what isn't. I have been leapt on previously by somebody claiming the act of fouling was the offence when it isn't (Except in the rarest of circumstances)

Indeed and most considerate dog owners will consider this. Simon has developed a rather neat habit of doing what he needs to do to the side of any foot path or off it completely in the longer grass/growth towards the edge. I cant claim I trained him to do this he just developed the habit and gets praised when he does so it seems to have stuck. (the habit that is nothing else). So if there is ever any tiny residue left it wont cause any real harm. He also seems to know where the nearest poo bin is on our regular walk at home so I don't have to carry t far.I was just clarifying the point really regarding what is actually an offence and what isn't. I have been leapt on previously by somebody claiming the act of fouling was the offence when it isn't (Except in the rarest of circumstances)

So when we see those signs with a dog pooping and a red X, does that mean no shitting at all, or no leaving the shit behind? Genuine question because I don't know.

So when we see those signs with a dog pooping and a red X, does that mean no shitting at all, or no leaving the shit behind? Genuine question because I don't know.

Something I have wondered about too TBH. I don't actually know the strict answer either.

I take it as it's just a 'graphic way' of getting the message across about cleaning up, because I have seen the same signs but with 'Clean up after your dog' written underneath.

ed - no red cross but you get the drift.

No_messing220413.jpg

Edited by MJG

However, I don't see how the 'war on dog poo' has been won, as per the title. This was a very, very minor skirmish.

I thought it scanned quite nicely.

Have you ever heard the story about the racehorses one won and two too?

Edited by gazza

Something I have wondered about too TBH. I don't actually know the strict answer either.

I take it as it's just a 'graphic way' of getting the message across about cleaning up, because I have seen the same signs but with 'Clean up after your dog' written underneath.

ed - no red cross but you get the drift.

No_messing220413.jpg

I have always assumed they mean the land is covered by the "Clean Neighbourhoods and Environments Act 2005" and as such you were required to ensure you cleaned up after your dog.

I may be wrong. It has been known.

I think in most public places it is a case of cleaning up after your dog, but I agree that many times there are "traces" left behind. In places like playgrounds and sports fields dogs are usually banned, rather than saying no crapping. It is a bit in-practical to stop a dog having a crap if it wants to, so banning dogs from the more sensitive areas is the best course.

I was wondering how you stop a dog taking a poo,

Application of suitable sized cork before you leave home?blink.png

Hover behind with bag to catch it before it touches the ground?

Put dog in a nappy?

I think the best idea is if it's important there's no residue then dogs have to be banned from that area, children's playgrounds etc.

Sue