Missing boat - Holly - NOW FOUND!

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

A gunnel is the narrowbit around the outside of the (normally) black part of the narrowboat, it's the bit that you can carefully walk down the side on!

(a bit difficult to explain, can anyone else do any better?)

Jon

Gunwale

Nick

Here we go again with the origins of Boating terminology. Gunnel (or Gunwale) is a Nautical term referring to the top of a fighting ship's side where the guns are rested. Derived from Gun meaning gun, and Wale meaning a ridge of planking along the rail of a ship.

That's the sort of etymology that we like to hear. Thanks, David.

Nick

:lol::blink::clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Woohooo!!!! Bloody glad to hear she's been found. But - this does mean that my 'heroic finder on the Grand Union between Little Venice and Greenford' part in the movie won't be played by Daniel Craig anymore :clapping:

Seriously, though, so glad to know she's be found and, on the whole, it's not really taken THAT long to find her. Without wishing to sound sancrimonious, it's been great to see the selflessness on this thread of people that have taken time out to have a look even though it means nothing to them. To all of those have been out and about looking .... :clapping:

Well done guys - I think you've done a tremendous job, especially Jon.

And to Trish and all at Middlewich - glad everything has been resolved and that Holly will be back with you soon, unless she's kept for evidence, in which case - where the bloody hell will they keep her? :lol:

What good news!

- Ive only skimmed the last few pages, but great to have her found.

...and a neighbour wants

me to help him bodge an alternator installation on his Lister CE2 so that it still charges at it's rediculous 150rpm tickover...

Ah yes, that old chesnut!

- If you search for "alternator" or somthing, you'll find a thread all about our alternotor (crusing speed 150rpm)

- We can now get 15amps (24v) out of our alternater for a good chunk of most day, possably more if the batterys are right down.

The key points are:

- Rewound coach alternator, which will produce 20amp at 800rpm, at which point it went off-scale but was still going.

- Then and 18" and a 3" twin-vee pulley, with two lenghts of t-link belting. (had to be split to go round propshaft)

It doesnt charge below about 100rpm, but as we cruise at 150/200 it works find really.

Daniel

Yes, good news it has been found.

Just goes to show the power of tv though, doesn't it. Despite modern communication with phones, computers, email etc. it was not found for several weeks. But after one announcment on tv it was found within hours.

Despite modern communication with phones, computers, email etc. it was not found for several weeks. But after one announcment on tv it was found within hours.

Sorry Malc, do you know who found or reported the boat?

Do you know how they were aware?

It's a shame that Richard doesn't get all the glory, as he was back home checking out his licence suspicions, but would have been straight back and the outcome would have been the same.

The police could have been called by someone Richard was speaking to.

It was not found straight away, as everyone wasted 3 weeks looking for a green boat. Since then other media involvement has certainly increased, but you have no way of knowing if the eventual call was down to TV, newsprint or internet. All have contributed to increase public awareness.

I fail to see how you can make such a statement without personal knowledge of circumstances.

Sorry Malc, do you know who found or reported the boat?

Do you know how they were aware?

It's a shame that Richard doesn't get all the glory, as he was back home checking out his licence suspicions, but would have been straight back and the outcome would have been the same.

The police could have been called by someone Richard was speaking to.

It was not found straight away, as everyone wasted 3 weeks looking for a green boat. Since then other media involvement has certainly increased, but you have no way of knowing if the eventual call was down to TV, newsprint or internet. All have contributed to increase public awareness.

I fail to see how you can make such a statement without personal knowledge of circumstances.

Plus it was first on TV at least a week ago, with no result. And yesterday's TV coverage was in the north west, which as far as I know doesn't cover Oxford!

Edited by adam1uk

Could we all club together, buy a hulk, give someone a weeks headstart and and a few gallons of paint & then we could play hunt the boat?

I have been following this thread with interest, first thing when I got home was to check on any new updates about Holly, But living in Bournemouth not being able to help at all with her search.

Well done to everyone on the site, everyone worked as a team and we got a good result. Beers all round! :blink:

On a much lighter note - :lol:

I had the same thought the other day, (not envolving the media, just this forum) if someone gave us clues to a boat, where she started from, how much fuel etc we could have a boat treasure hunt! or "spot the boat competition". We would get to know the canal system, and it would be much more fun than just reading maps.

Mrs Panda

Sorry - but I just cannot sit still for this - -

There is a worrying trend these days to excuse just about anything people do, on the grounds that they have mental health problems.

It has become an "I can do whatever I like" charter.

I do not believe i have read this sentiment anywhere on this board and I don't know where you are getting your data to support this, but it would be interesting to see.

I feel it is worth saying that just because mental health issues have finally been recognized as sometimes being a mitigating factor in poor judgement leading to unacceptable behaviour, it does not mean that people in general (or even a good many people) "excuse just about anything people [suffering mental illness] do".

One or two very closed minds here. We don't even know if the 'ill' shoe fits, even though it does seem to be indicated. What I can't get my head around is how it seems like one or two of you are sitting in harsh (or some kind of righteous) judgement of something such as this. Closing your minds to anything other than a 'punish him' solution. If a person is (and again I'm not saying that Mr King IS) ill - just because it isn't a physical illness doesn't minimize the fact that it is ILLNESS not a means to an end for committing crime. Oh sure you will have the occasional culprit who will try and use it to their advantaage - but by that same token people sometimes fake physical illness or injury in order to escape work for a day - - - or longer - - sometimes to get benefits - but they don't seem to get nearly the shtick as someone has who has lost the plot and is suffering from mental affliction!!??

- I only hope that nothing so awful ever befalls you or someone you love.

Edited by Starry

If you're looking for a new mystery, then there's the 'Ghost Yacht' found drifting off the Great Barrier Reef

"The engine was running, the computers were running, there was a laptop set up on the table which was running, the radio was working... and there was food and utensils set on the table ready to eat,"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6578537.stm

Sorry - but I just cannot sti still for this - -

I do not believe i have read this sentiment anywhere on this board and I don't know where you are getting your data to support this, but it would be interesting to see.

I feel it is worth saying that just because mental health issues have finally been recognized as sometimes being a mitigating factor in poor judgement leading to unacceptable behaviour, it does not mean that people in general (or even a good many people) "excuse just about anything people [suffering mental illness] do".

One or two very closed minds here. We don't even know if the 'ill' shoe fits, even though it does seem to be indicated. What I can't get my head around is how it seems like one or two of you are sitting in harsh (or some kind of righteous) judgement of something such as this. Closing your minds to anything other than a 'punish him' solution. If a person is (and again I'm not saying that Mr King IS) ill - just because it isn't a physical illness doesn't minimize the fact that it is ILLNESS not a means to an end for committing crime. Oh sure you will have the occasional culprit who will try and use it to their advantaage - but by that same token people sometimes fake physical illness or injury in order to escape work for a day - - - or longer - - sometimes to get benefits - but they don't seem to get nearly the shtick as someone has who has lost the plot and is suffering from mental affliction!!??

I agree entirely Starry. I made a brief comment before but didn't want to go off topic whilst Holly was still at large.

The attitude sickens me.

There are more people with mental health problems wrongly imprisoned (instead of receiving help) than there are people in the mental health system 'pretending' to be ill to avoid criminal action and, if you saw how the mentally ill are treated (still) in long term residential care (and in the so-called care in the community system), you would choose prison.

Go away for 2 days on a school residential, and Hooly gets found!

Well done to the boss for getting a pic though!

Hope that she is back in the fleet soon- well done to Middlewich and everyone else!

Go away for 2 days on a school residential, and Hooly gets found!

Well done to the boss for getting a pic though!

Hope that she is back in the fleet soon- well done to Middlewich and everyone else!

A boater on another group site informs that Holly is now moored on the 7 day mooring at Thrupp. She has been moved there by her Middlewich owners.

Sorry - but I just cannot sit still for this - -

Well, just to clarify matters a little, at least two people close to me have suffered from serious mental illness.

The point that I'm trying to make is that it is all too easy (and happend all too often) for some smart barrister to argue that their client only broke the law because he was mentally ill.

Now, you may paint me as hard and unfeeling if you wish, but the bottom line is this;

1. Society as a whole doesn't accept that theft is OK.
  2. Those who deliberately choose to flout what society accepts must be punished.
  3. Those who are incapable mentally of sticking to acceptable behaviour on their own account must be prevented from behaving in unacceptable ways until such time as they will not offend again.

It isn't enough to say "provide treatment". What is to happen until such time as the treatment proves effective?

I think that casting any judgement at this time on the mental condition of the male found with Holly (it has yet to be confirmed officially that it was Mr King) at this stage is wrong as we don't know the circumstances and won't know until if/when the case gets to court. I appreciate that we all have our opinions on what we would like to see happen, however I would suggest that we hold back on making judgements until a result is known.

From my experience, anyone who is suspected to be suffering from a mental health issue will be assessed while in custody by the local mental health crisis team prior to any interview or other legal procedure commencing so as to remain fair to the person being detained.

Jon