Missing boat - Holly - NOW FOUND!

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting "withdrawl" symptoms from the excitement of seeing the updates and hoping the boat's been found?

Yes Chris. It was all quite exciting for a while. Good that the boat's back with its rightful owners though and let's hope Mr King sorts himself out now!

Now, you may paint me as hard and unfeeling if you wish, but the bottom line is this;

1. [1Society as a whole doesn't accept that theft is OK.
    [2]Those who deliberately choose to flout what society accepts must be punished.
    [3]Those who are incapable mentally of sticking to acceptable behaviour on their own account must be prevented from behaving in unacceptable ways until such time as they will not offend again.

It isn't enough to say "provide treatment". What is to happen until such time as the treatment proves effective?

"you may paint me as hard and unfeeling if you wish," .................don't need to, you have done that by your own post,

'[1]Society as a whole doesn't accept that theft is OK.' it does, .................just look at house prices, highway bloody robbery but we all cash in and jump on the bandwagon!

'[2]Those who deliberately choose to flout what society accepts must be punished.' .................someone who is ill does not deliberatly flout the law, they are unable to think logically because of their illness!

'[3]Those who are incapable mentally of sticking to acceptable behaviour on their own account must be prevented from behaving in unacceptable ways until such time as they will not offend again.' ...................are you suggesting we just lock them up and forget them as we did in Victorian times?

Jeez mate whatever happened to compassion?

"you may paint me as hard and unfeeling if you wish," .................don't need to, you have done that by your own post,

'[1]Society as a whole doesn't accept that theft is OK.' it does, .................just look at house prices, highway bloody robbery but we all cash in and jump on the bandwagon!

'[2]Those who deliberately choose to flout what society accepts must be punished.' .................someone who is ill does not deliberatly flout the law, they are unable to think logically because of their illness!

'[3]Those who are incapable mentally of sticking to acceptable behaviour on their own account must be prevented from behaving in unacceptable ways until such time as they will not offend again.' ...................are you suggesting we just lock them up and forget them as we did in Victorian times?

Jeez mate whatever happened to compassion?

Your responses in red to the previous posters points are way off the mark.

You have made stupid assumptions !

Compassion is still alive - but wisely, only directed to those who deserve it - like you perhaps.

Pete

www.thecanalshop.com

thanks daniel,

i'll throw this into the mix and see what we can come up with..

the 'original' alternator had a pulley the size of 5 pence piece to keep its revs up..

but i think we're going to have to engineer (read: bodge) something different this time

as it's a liveaboard boat and now has 4 service batteries, 3kW inverter and the usual 240V appliances..

thanks once again

p.s. sorry folks for being slightly :lol:

best regards

Dodgy Dave of Ocker Hill

'Make Mine A Magners'

What good news!

- Ive only skimmed the last few pages, but great to have her found.

Ah yes, that old chesnut!

- If you search for "alternator" or somthing, you'll find a thread all about our alternotor (crusing speed 150rpm)

- We can now get 15amps (24v) out of our alternater for a good chunk of most day, possably more if the batterys are right down.

The key points are:

- Rewound coach alternator, which will produce 20amp at 800rpm, at which point it went off-scale but was still going.

- Then and 18" and a 3" twin-vee pulley, with two lenghts of t-link belting. (had to be split to go round propshaft)

It doesnt charge below about 100rpm, but as we cruise at 150/200 it works find really.

Daniel

Your responses in red to the previous posters points are way off the mark.

You have made stupid assumptions !

Compassion is still alive - but wisely, only directed to those who deserve it - like you perhaps.

Pete

www.thecanalshop.com

:lol:

How fortunate that you only have opinions like the rest of us and don't sit as Judge & Jury!

Edited by Starry

Sorry Malc, do you know who found or reported the boat?

Do you know how they were aware?

It's a shame that Richard doesn't get all the glory, as he was back home checking out his licence suspicions, but would have been straight back and the outcome would have been the same.

The police could have been called by someone Richard was speaking to.

It was not found straight away, as everyone wasted 3 weeks looking for a green boat. Since then other media involvement has certainly increased, but you have no way of knowing if the eventual call was down to TV, newsprint or internet. All have contributed to increase public awareness.

I fail to see how you can make such a statement without personal knowledge of circumstances.

OK, I was out yesterday, so missed the important find...............and I'm certainly NOT taking anything away from Richard, or anyone esle. Plus I assumed it was on nationwide news, even if the local BBC news.

But it is still a fact. Shortly after being broadcast on BBC TV it was found, irrespective of who actually 'found' it..........yes it probably could just have been a coincidence, and yes as more and more was learnt e.g. colour changes etc. it was more likely to be spotted.

I'd be interested to know how they plan to get her back up to Middlewich... lots of locks!

Jon

My money says it'll be craned out and make the trip up the M42/M6 on the back of a lorry. It would be quicker for one and probably cheaper than paying two staff for the nine days that Canal Planer says the trip will take.....

Total distance is 152 miles, 7¼ flg and 106 locks. There are at least 21 moveable bridges of which 16 are usually left open; 11 small aqueducts or underbridges and 1 tunnel.

Made up of 147 miles, 7¼ furlongs of narrow canals; 5 miles, 0 furlongs of broad canals; 106 narrow locks.

This will take 80 hours, 30 minutes which is 8 days, 8 hours and 30 minutes at 9 hours per day.

For calculation purposes, this is taken as 9 days

Hello,

I'm new to this, so hope this works.

I had a phone call last night from my Mum in Derby, who knows our interest in canal boats. She had just spoken to Derby Police as she had seen an article in a local paper about this missing boat and it reminded her of one that she saw on Wednesday 18th on the 48 hour moorings at Willington, opposite the permanent moorings and along just out of view of the pub. She often walks along the canal and is used to people passing the time of day, but the chap with this boat kept his head down and ignored her.

She says the boat had no name, was blue (and I think similar to the pictures further up the thread) and the external paint was rough. The front end wherre the rope fittings are didn't look quite right, which would fit in with the front end having been altered. There were double doors at the front, the windows either side of which were not rectangular and she remembers thinking the windows were larger than normal.

The other thing that really puzzled her was the amount of work being done to the boat on these short term moorings. There was a white van in the car park which appeared to be associated with the boat and lots of big expensive tools for completely refitting the boat on the towpath. She could smell the new wood as she walked past and said it looked as though everything inside was being replaced.

Don't know if we have Holly here, but I thought if I posted the info it might help.

That was me :) , KINGFISHER NARROWBOATS LTD (getting a plug in)

how funny that would of been seeing blue flashing lights coming down the tow path .i think it would have scared me to death especially as we,d been chatting about the holly thread over lunch.

we were doing a part fitout on a customers boat that had its paint job brought forward to this weekend by mcc boats, it was agreed that we would do most of the work at willington we had virtually every tool out of the workshop .and set up right next to the boat .thankfully it was sunny all week or the schedule would of gone out of the window!

but it was fantastic chatting to dozens of boaters all week it amazes me how much we actually got done and getting enquirys for loads more work(there must be a shortage of boat fitters)and there was three sometimes four people working on board all in our own little bit . and a big hi to any of you who stopped and chatted

and to those who sailed on by making us all jealous and great news holly was found and that it wont be long before shes back at work

john

A boater on another group site informs that Holly is now moored on the 7 day mooring at Thrupp. She has been moved there by her Middlewich owners.

Really pleased that this matter has been resolved - what is surprising is that, despite the fact that we were keeping a very keen keen lookout for 'Holly', it must have sailed right past us en-route from Hatton to Thrupp and we didn't see it - or, if we did - it just didn't register :) !

We see lots of boats being repainted along the tow path and many without names - perhaps we should take more notice in future . . .

Edited by NB Alnwick

My money says it'll be craned out and make the trip up the M42/M6 on the back of a lorry. It would be quicker for one and probably cheaper than paying two staff for the nine days that Canal Planer says the trip will take.....

It cant be done cheaper than my offer :help:

Total distance is 152 miles, 7¼ flg and 106 locks. There are at least 21 moveable bridges of which 16 are usually left open; 11 small aqueducts or underbridges and 1 tunnel.

Made up of 147 miles, 7¼ furlongs of narrow canals; 5 miles, 0 furlongs of broad canals; 106 narrow locks.

This will take 80 hours, 30 minutes which is 8 days, 8 hours and 30 minutes at 9 hours per day.

For calculation purposes, this is taken as 9 days

I'd guarentee to do it in 6 days :)

It may just be the strange way that my mind works, but has anyone elso noticed that in a matter of two or three weeks, this thread has had nearly six times the number of visits as the next most popular pinned thread "Favourite Waterside Pubs"?

Now that Holly has been found, can we get back to normal business?

Graham :)

Trish,

If your still reading this, the beers on Middlewich.

BARGE, I though we were looking for a narrowboat.

No wonder it took so long to find.

Barge ....... Narrowboat .......... what's in a name. They are all an oblong steel box with an engine.

Just the same as when someone calls a grass track car, banger, stock rod, hot rod, etc. etc. a 'stock car'. Doesn't bother me, but has led to some confusion when talking about them.

Anway isn't a barge a floating container to carry goods/produce etc. If that is the case, what on earth is a narrowboat, even if the 'goods' are now people.

Thanks guys and gals. Just flown back from Spain, didn't want to get straight back to work, wondered what to do while Corrie was on the box; these 38 pages have been most entertaining and enlightening.

And Trish-at-Middlewich-Narrowboats - remember your posting about who'd play the roles in the film they will obviously make of this incident?

I have a total dead cert for your part - Holly Hunter.

In your opinion.

Not the same thing, and you know it

It is always better to read the whole post before responding. It avoids the possibility of looking like a fool. Points 2 and 3 are to be taken together, and describe alternatives for two different scenarios.

No.

I'm suggesting that people whose illness will lead to criminality must be restrained from criminal activity alongside treatment being given. We can't just say "oh well, in 6 months he'll stop pinching stuff, live with it"