Missing boat - Holly - NOW FOUND!

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

I never said mental illness makes people physically disabled or mentioned anything about learning difficulties.

You implied that he couldn't have been suffering a mental illness because quote:

"He navigated the canals, went through locks,bought paint and started painting the boat to hide its identity, seems to me the man knew exactly what he was doing."

Something which is well within the capabilities of a person who is mentally ill.....Ignorance & prejudice.

Like Andy says, if he's guilty, he should be punished. If he needs help, he should get it.

Either way, it's going to be no picnic for him (from what I've seen, I think I'd cope better in prison than some of the mental health 'care' establishments)

You implied that he couldn't have been suffering a mental illness because quote:

"He navigated the canals, went through locks,bought paint and started painting the boat to hide its identity, seems to me the man knew exactly what he was doing."

Something which is well within the capabilities of a person who is mentally ill.....Ignorance & prejudice.

Like Andy says, if he's guilty, he should be punished. If he needs help, he should get it.

Either way, it's going to be no picnic for him (from what I've seen, I think I'd cope better in prison than some of the mental health 'care' establishments)

I stated the man had financial problems as reported in the press, not mental illness while doing these things. I did not state mental illness while doing them.

I stated the man had financial problems as reported in the press, not mental illness while doing these things. I did not state mental illness while doing them.

So financial problems would prevent him going through locks, painting and navigating? Your argument is crumbling before your very eyes sir!

So financial problems would prevent him going through locks, painting and navigating? Your argument is crumbling before your very eyes sir!

No it would not stop him doing these things, but if the man was in debt and the conversation he had with a couple where he stated he had repainted the boat so he could sell it suggests one thing no mental illness, just a thief

Plese Read Link

Edited by wonderdust

No it would not stop him doing these things, but if the man was in debt and the conversation he had with a couple where he stated he had repainted the boat so he could sell it suggests one thing no mental illness, just a thief

Plese Read Link

Ahhh...... the Daily Mail. Thank you!

To all the people who have decided this man was not himself, would you have this moral stance if it was your boat or property that had been taken and the finacial costs incurred putting it right?

Start reading what others are saying to you and stop reading something different into this thread merely to defend your prejudice.

• I haven't seen anything written by anyone that says his crime is to be excused.
  • Nobody has suggested that his actions were not illegal and that he shouldn't be punished if he's found guilty.
  • Of course Middlewich Narrowboats have suffered as did the holidaymakers who were waiting to have their holiday on the missing "Holly"
  • I haven't read anything that indicates people are taking a "moral stance"

What is being explained to you is that you patently understand very little about those suffering poor mental health and as a consequence your derogatory comments are ill founded and as such have no place on a decent forum such as this one.

I agree with "Carlt", there's little or no guarantee as to whether prison or an accute care unit would easiest for him should it be found he is clinically depressed, psychotic or both.

If you are not prepared to learn from those that have first hand experience and are prepared to share their realities of what it means to live with this illness, then you are missing a rare learning experience.

zenataomm - A Mental Health Service User with lifetime Bi-polar, occassional in-patient, currently employed in a charity dedicated to fight the prejudice and stigma surrounding poor mental health.

Edited by zenataomm

I thought this forum was about life on the canals, the people and boats. Whilst you could say that there is a loose connection with the second of these categories I am surprised the moderators have allowed this topic to go where it has. A lot of unqualified people are judging a situation they probably have little knowledge about.

I'm sure we would be interested that the boat hadbeen found after the initial call for help but my own view is that is where it should have stopped.

I thought this forum was about life on the canals, the people and boats. Whilst you could say that there is a loose connection with the second of these categories I am surprised the moderators have allowed this topic to go where it has. A lot of unqualified people are judging a situation they probably have little knowledge about.

I'm sure we would be interested that the boat hadbeen found after the initial call for help but my own view is that is where it should have stopped.

No need for you to read further then surely? If you feel a topic has reached it's conclusion, for you, why did you read further? If other people want to continue the discussion then what difference does it make to you?

There are scores of other threads on this forum that may interest you, Possibly even inspire you to make a more worthwhile post.

This entire thread has now become pointless. I am closing it.

If people wish to trade insults with each other, would they please do it by PM'ing each other, else they will start to understand in greater detail how our "warning" mechanism operates.