Missing boat - Holly - NOW FOUND!

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

Although Mr King is thought to be solo, I am wondering whether he has got some other support, say from a colleague in a car who is able to provide him with the day to day essentials? That might reduce his need to visit boatyards, etc. If this was the case, however, obtaining red diesel might not be that easy. Jerry cans of "white" from a service station??

This theory does suggest that the act to steal was premeditated, which it not how it appears to be (giving name, using credit card to hire, leaving vehicle at yard etc) - UNLESS it was premeditated and the "legitimate" hire was to buy some time to get away.

Sorry for yet another theory - unable to check any canals near home, unless it has arrived in SE Kent!

Dave

I'm rather surprised the hire company haven't sent out their own 'team' in a small boat to look for it.

I came from Thurmaston (Leicester) to Bardney last year in 2 days. Add an extra day for stopping to look into all possible hiding places.

2 people in a small inflatable, capable of being carried around locks should be able to cover much of the immediate area in a week or so.

Remember you are not looking for a green/blue boat, but a distinctive style narrowboat.

Maybe not a small boat... but I would go down the route of throwing a couple of bikes in the back of a hired transit van for a couple of days. I'd drive down to the area where the boat was last seen, or beleived to be, and get the bikes out, pedalling about to see if you can see anything. A couple of nights in the back of a Transit, with sleeping bag wouldn't kill anyone.

Although that's not the point as the police should be out driving/walking/riding looking for it. That's what they're here for.

Maybe not a small boat... but I would go down the route of throwing a couple of bikes in the back of a hired transit van for a couple of days. I'd drive down to the area where the boat was last seen, or beleived to be, and get the bikes out, pedalling about to see if you can see anything. A couple of nights in the back of a Transit, with sleeping bag wouldn't kill anyone.

Although that's not the point as the police should be out driving/walking/riding looking for it. That's what they're here for.

That's all very well in a world of extensible resources but they are not a large company and have the rest of the fleet to look after.

Nick

Maybe Nick, but even if insurance may cover any cost, I doubt it will recoup lost hire charges etc.

If the cost is somewhere around £1000 a week, as has been suggested, surely spending £500 or so should be well within the realms of most companies, even small ones. £200 a week each plus £100 or so for expenses.

Im not a boater,but live in Hemel hempstead near the GU. As the hirer comes from St Albans would it be worth searching in this area ?.I would be more than happy to do so if theres a chance it may help..ive seen n printed the posters

We'll be at our mooring at Winkwell (between Hemel and Berkhamsted) over the weekend and will make sure everyone knows the situation and keeps an eye out - especially those who liveaboard, and those in the canalside pub - The Three Horseshoes. If we get the chance, we'll walk up and down as far as we can. This is only 4 or 5 miles from St. Albans, so you are right, I think wherever the sightings have been, this has to be a potential hot spot.

I have also sent the pic to a friend who lives in a flat overlooking Apsley Lock Marina in Hemel, and he is keeping an eye out there too.

Fiona

Thanks Nick, that was just what I was going to say. We are in quite a busy period, and the weather being so nice .......... just what we want really. We really are rushed off our feet. However, the Manager is travelling tomorrow to Bath, and planning to visit Evesham, Tewkesbury, etc. en route. The MD is also out on his travels following the canals/rivers from Oxford to Reading and then on to Bath, so we are making every effort to find this boat. As we hit yet another Bank Holiday weekend, it is one less boat again that we have to hire out.

Trish

That's all very well in a world of extensible resources but they are not a large company and have the rest of the fleet to look after.

Nick

I agree, but the sooner you get it back, the sooner it can be sorted back into hiring standard, and the sooner you can get the money coming back in from hiring it out.

I hope of you who are out looking remember to take with you copies of the wanted poster, and pop into any canalside pubs, shops etc to ask if they'll display them.

Also, any of you who are anglers, drop a poster into your local tackle shop. There should be plenty of anglers on the banks this weekend.

Janet

Good question!!

I am assuming so. The Sargeant the telephoned me from St. Albans yesterday, told me that she was taking over the case and had had Mrs King in the station. She wants to do a press conference, but wants to have Mrs Kings blessing. She was going to speak to her again after speaking to me, and said that we weren't to be surprised if it suddenly appeared on the main TV news. There are also young children involved, I think that is affecting things at the moment.

Trish

Good question!!

I am assuming so. The Sargeant the telephoned me from St. Albans yesterday, told me that she was taking over the case and had had Mrs King in the station. She wants to do a press conference, but wants to have Mrs Kings blessing. She was going to speak to her again after speaking to me, and said that we weren't to be surprised if it suddenly appeared on the main TV news. There are also young children involved, I think that is affecting things at the moment.

Trish

WE HAVE JUST RECEIVED A TELEPHONE CALL STATING THAT THERE IS A RUMOUR GOING AROUND THAT HOLLY HAS BEEN FOUND ON THE OXFORD CANAL HIDING AMONGST SOME GYPSY BOATS.

TRISH

Just a thought, I don't want go throwing red herrings into the mix, but If he's made it down the Oxford and into Dukes Cut there are plenty of places unaccessible by road along there where the boat could be hidden for example in (say) the weirstream, , like the the entrance to the Evenlode or Cassington Cut before getting to Eynsham Lock. He could also be "hiding" amongst the mass of boats along the outskirts of Oxford.

Tony

A warrant won't have been issued as only the courts can do this post charge, however there is a possibility that he may be listed as 'Wanted', but there is very strict criteria to do that (that we can't go into here).

Jon

I have had a request today from Allan (Keeping Up) to print off a couple more posters to take with me tomorrow when I join him and Dijuwenda to tow Black Bottomed Girl up to Hillmorton

He gave one of his to the lockeeper at Watford. Neither he nor BW were aware of Holly having changed colour!

Having just spent ages trawling through the posts on this thread to try and find the link for the poster again I have decided to reply to the post with them in so it is more recent in the postings for all those of you who may need to print them off for your travels this weekend.

Lets hope that by Monday Holly and Mr King will have been found safe!

Edited by cheshire~rose

Neither he nor BW were aware of Holly having changed colour!

I find that quite shocking after all the information flying around the internet.

Has anyone googled "Holly, missing narrowboat" ? Kept me occupied and away from w**k all afternoon!

Simply amazing how this guy has seemingly vanished into thin air with so many people aware of this.

Has anyone checked boat transport companies to see if a boat has been craned out and moved recently?

Janet

I find that quite shocking after all the information flying around the internet.

Has anyone googled "Holly, missing narrowboat" ? Kept me occupied and away from w**k all afternoon!

Simply amazing how this guy has seemingly vanished into thin air with so many people aware of this.

Has anyone checked boat transport companies to see if a boat has been craned out and moved recently?

Janet

I agree, Janet. The thought that occurred to me having seen the photo of the newly painted boat is this. Surely at this time of year, if a boat is painted out of doors, the paint will 'bloom' at night, as it is still getting cold. This happened to us in Sept/October last year. This leads me to believe that the boat may well have been painted under cover. If so, where? What do you all think?

Fiona

Janet

Just spoke to Allan on the phone who was equally amazed that BW seemed to have no idea they were looking for a blue boat!

I agree, Janet. The thought that occurred to me having seen the photo of the newly painted boat is this. Surely at this time of year, if a boat is painted out of doors, the paint will 'bloom' at night, as it is still getting cold. This happened to us in Sept/October last year. This leads me to believe that the boat may well have been painted under cover. If so, where? What do you all think?

Fiona

It is possible to use different types of thinner in a paint depending on the temperature that it is likely to be drying in which can help prevent blooming in colder weather

This chap is a painter and decorator so he will be familiar with that

It also seems to be a special paint that renders the painted surface invisible in daylight!!!!!!!

In the weather that we have had recently there has been more of a problem with too quick drying than slow drying "bloom" problems.

Pete

A warrant won't have been issued as only the courts can do this post charge, however there is a possibility that he may be listed as 'Wanted', but there is very strict criteria to do that (that we can't go into here).

Jon

I agree that only a court can issue a warrant for arrest.

I see no reason in this case why this is not a valid course of action.

Pete

It also seems to be a special paint that renders the painted surface invisible in daylight!!!!!!!

That's it.. harry potter is helping him out.. with a extra large invisivility cloak..

Anyway..

:lol:

One of Holly's ex-hirers is on one of my boats doing the Leicester ring over the next 10 days and I told him about it being stolen and he said he would look out for it. They should be passing 'Bridge 61' at Foxton tomorrow I would have thought. Unfortunately I hadn't seen reports of the colour change before he set off and I don't have his moblie no., but if he calls in for any reason, I'll tell him.