Missing boat - Holly - NOW FOUND!

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

yes, that was me.

Ok so it may have changed.

but 1) it may not have so worth trying..

2) he may not want to blitz the inside if he is planning to live on it.. as one would have thought it would have cost a wack.

With regards to the chimney.. surely he could have just taken it off? I would have though that moving a stove is quite a big job..

Also.. I say this again... is it worth emailing all the boatyards in the area and ask them about selling paints / if they have seen the boat / if they ahve any contact with the boat or anything. You would have thought that he is getting pump outs( and filling up with water... )

Hi Sam

We have emailed all of the boatyards that we can, although inevitably some will have been missed. I have sent out pics. of the blue boat (now minus the other boat - sorry Malc) to many of the boatyards today. I intended to try to contact boatyards about the paint - but unfortunately there are not enough hours in the day. The phone has never stopped ringing! Plus of course we do still have boats to have ready for hirers this week.

The Daily Telegraph are running the story tomorrow, and hopefully the Daily Mirror, tomorrow or day after. I have tried to get the other daily papers involved - fingers crossed. I have also enlisted the help of Eugene Baston to help with the media (thanks Eugene). Hopefully, if we can get this story national, maybe it will speed everything up. St. Albans police appear to have upped the ante today, they are planning to try to arrange a press conference for later this week.

Please keep any ideas coming.

Trish

The 'chimney' is actually one of hatton's lovely hydraulic winding gear posts.

They're not hydraulic. There's a lovely big threaded shaft in there with a large crown wheel at the bottom pushing it up. The pinion is attached to the windlass square.

Nick

Edited by Theo
Bad spelling and punctuation. :-(

Hi Sam

We have emailed all of the boatyards that we can, although inevitably some will have been missed. I have sent out pics. of the blue boat (now minus the other boat - sorry Malc) to many of the boatyards today. I intended to try to contact boatyards about the paint - but unfortunately there are not enough hours in the day. The phone has never stopped ringing! Plus of course we do still have boats to have ready for hirers this week.

The Daily Telegraph are running the story tomorrow, and hopefully the Daily Mirror, tomorrow or day after. I have tried to get the other daily papers involved - fingers crossed. I have also enlisted the help of Eugene Baston to help with the media (thanks Eugene). Hopefully, if we can get this story national, maybe it will speed everything up. St. Albans police appear to have upped the ante today, they are planning to try to arrange a press conference for later this week.

Please keep any ideas coming.

Trish

Ok :-)

I will try and spread the word around also and post something on my own forum. (or you can)

Is it ok for me to use the picture?

Sam

Edited by Sam

Ok :-)

I will try adn spread the word around also and post something on my own forum. (or you can)

Is it ok for me to use the picture?

Sam

Of course you can. The more help the better. Better that people receive the info. twice than not at all. I'm sure people wont mind in the circumstances. Whr is your forum??

Trish

Hi Trisha,

Do you have a list of the boatyards, etc, that you've managed to get in touch with? If you could let us know who you've managed to speak to, maybe others different ones which you've missed?

Of course you can. The more help the better. Better that people receive the info. twice than not at all. I'm sure people wont mind in the circumstances. Whr is your forum??

Trish

ok :-)

The link is in my signature :-)

If you want to post you will need to register then post :-)

--

Has anyone worked out a radius for where the boat could be?

Edited by Sam

in reply to liams post.. i think a list would be a fab idea.

Someone could go through the waterways world annual and get a big mass email list of all the boatyards in there.. that you have not already contacted..

Edited by Sam

when you look at the pic of the boue boat, there isa green licence in the front window from 05

I swear it's blue.. even after zooming in on psp.. i think it's blue..

Edited by Sam

If the intention was to steal the boat from the outset, then the quick blue paint job might just be to avoid instant recognition as the "missing green boat", which it succeeded in doing.

I would think that there is a possibility that he had an intended storage/hiding destination in mind early on and now the boat is sheeted over in a place that he may have already planned to take it.

I own an old bus and if I had to move it from it's secure undercover storage to a new location, then I would certainly plan something first. It would be too risky to keep moving around looking as if you were searching for somewhere.

I would doubt that the boat is moving about now as he must realise that it is being looked for, even if he thinks that only a few people are looking!

If the intention was to steal the boat from the outset, then the quick blue paint job might just be to avoid instant recognition as the "missing green boat", which it succeeded in doing.

I would think that there is a possibility that he had an intended storage/hiding destination in mind early on and now the boat is sheeted over in a place that he may have already planned to take it.

I own an old bus and if I had to move it from it's secure undercover storage to a new location, then I would certainly plan something first. It would be too risky to keep moving around looking as if you were searching for somewhere.

I would doubt that the boat is moving about now as he must realise that it is being looked for, even if he thinks that only a few people are looking!

even if that is the case.. someone may spot a boat with sheets over it.. which may arouse suspicions.. or if he takes it to a boat yard.. hopefully the boatyards will have some sense and read their emails.. and report it.

Edited by Sam

Now that would be a bloody shame, if he messed up the cabin.

I thought the chimney and tiller were just painted white now.

Yes, it certainly would, she is a lovely boat and the cause of our boating addiction, as she was the first boat the two of us went on on our own and the first trad-we were hooked!

I have a few pictures of the interior but as they were taken in October 2003 things may have changed since then.

Liz

But if it's under cover is he living on it under cover too?

What about his family? I just can't beleive that he hasn't been in contact with any body at all, or he's got to be really strange!!!

Unfortunately we are only given so much info, of course the rest is just guess work..

With regards to the chimney.. surely he could have just taken it off? I would have though that moving a stove is quite a big job..

When an Alverchurch hire boat was stolen a few years back, in addition to repainting, the thieves cut new window holes in the superstructure, installed a solid fuel stove, fitted a cratch cover and did extensive alterations to the interior including repositioning a bulkhead....The couple had also applied to BW and paid for a licence for a new boat several months previously......

ok :-)

The link is in my signature :-)

If you want to post you will need to register then post :-)

--

Has anyone worked out a radius for where the boat could be?

I did this a few posts ago, but no one really responded lol! Even at 4 hours cruising a day, it could take a him a long way- as far as the Ashton, Sheffield and South Yorks, almost London, Beale, etc.

Try canalplan.org.uk and try for yourself- he could have gone far- and more confusing, could have headed back, up on the north oxford and coventry- lots of places to squirrel away, far from the prying eyes- never mind the Ashby...!

Mark

What about his family? I just can't beleive that he hasn't been in contact with any body at all, or he's got to be really strange!!!

Do we know if his credit card or bank account has been used since Holly went missing, or is that something that only the authorities know and don't want to reveal as yet?

What's he surviving on? With the best will in the world, to be "missing" all this time, he still need to buy provisions, or fuel if he's on the move and not just hidden somewhere. How is he doing it?

Do we know for sure that he's not been in touch with his close family? If it was a member of my own family, I know that I'd keep it to myself until I knew they were safe and well. If he has been in touch, I'd expect that it wouldn't be revealed to us on here unless there were serious concerns for his health and well-being.

I think most of those questions will remain unanswered until this is resolved. Let's hope we get an answer sooner rather than later.

Janet

As this is a "stolen boat" and "missing person" case, I am guessing that he would have to have been reported as missing by his family. I am surprised that we have heard no statement or comment from them about where he might be headed ie places he liked, or places he had lived in at some time. This might give a good clue.

Very few people in a situation like this would want to be somewhere totally unfamiliar to them.

Very few people in a situation like this would want to be somewhere totally unfamiliar to them.

unless he wants a new start.. and is getting away from the family..

A bit like commiting suicide.. apart from ending your life... ok bad example lol.

But maybe he just wants to have a new start at life or something...

He must be quite confident that he won't get caught.

Otherwise he is in 'denial' or 'insane' (in which case we should be looking on rivers in Egypt or France!!!!)

you would have to be pretty weird to steal a narrowboat.. especially single handedly! (spelling?!)

He must be quite confident that he won't get caught.

Otherwise he is in 'denial' or 'insane' (in which case we should be looking on rivers in Egypt or France!!!!)

Sorry mate - took a while but I got it in the end

Nice one

Do we know if his credit card or bank account has been used since Holly went missing, or is that something that only the authorities know and don't want to reveal as yet?

What's he surviving on? With the best will in the world, to be "missing" all this time, he still need to buy provisions, or fuel if he's on the move and not just hidden somewhere. How is he doing it?

Do we know for sure that he's not been in touch with his close family? If it was a member of my own family, I know that I'd keep it to myself until I knew they were safe and well. If he has been in touch, I'd expect that it wouldn't be revealed to us on here unless there were serious concerns for his health and well-being.

I think most of those questions will remain unanswered until this is resolved. Let's hope we get an answer sooner rather than later.

Janet

Maybe his family / friends are in on it? A quote from the local paper said 'A woman at Mr. King's address... did not wish to comment on his disappearance' (April 12th Herts Advertiser).

It would be a remarkable feat if he were on his own. Surely he has to have some accomplices? One can only speculate, which may or may not be helpful. It's a question of trying to get inside his mind to see where he would go and what he might do. But that's not really possible unless one knows his motivation.

Fiona