Missing boat - Holly - NOW FOUND!

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

What about contacting canoe clubs?

I'm sure if the weather's good this weekend there will be lots of canoists out and about. Has anyone notified any of them to let them know about the search?

Janet

Here is a list as requested last night of some of the boatyards etc. that I have emailed.

ALL APCO members (some probably more than once)

Anglers-net

foxtonboats

a e morgan

whilton marina

crick marina

wharshouse

unioncanalcarriers

kateboats

cowroastmarinas

sovereign

debdale wharf

sherborne wharf

barge-holidays

napton marina

rose narrowboats

aqua narrowboats

white horse boats

oxforshire nb

delta marine services

worcester marine

river canal rescue

college cruisers

waterways world

canalboat

towpath talk

narrowboat world

All the tabloids

All the TV stations

and many many more .............

They all received the poster with the pictures asking them to pass the information along to any other places in their vicinity.

Trish

Just got back from cycling.Nothing from oxford centre out to ring road [college cruisers out to ring road alchemy boats] .Could you tell me more about the possible sighting and i maybe able to look around further?I did see something odd though which was a few blokes with huge 'A' frames and lifting and what might have been welding gear etc under the A34 next to the canel.Probably nothing but you never know.Please everone dont start a new conspirocy theory based on what ive said, its probably nothing but i just want to share what i can to try to help.

In this weather you could probably do without heating, and cooking alone wouldn't use that much gas would it, and he could always be eating out?

I'll do Leamington towards Napton as far as I can make it tomorrow on my bike, is there anyone on the Oxford Canal between Napton and Banbury?

Jon

In this weather you could probably do without heating, and cooking alone wouldn't use that much gas would it, and he could always be eating out?

I reckon that we get about 2 months cooking out of a single 13kg bottle.

Given that Holly will have gone out with 1 full bottle, and a part bottle, he should be OK for gas.

WE HAVE STILL HEARD NOTHING ABOUT THIS RUMOUR OF HOLLY ON THE OXFORD CANAL.

We have, however, just this minute had a telephone call from a gentleman who is certain he was in a pub called Bridge 61 at Foxton last night with a fella who matches the picture of David King. If anyone knows where this pub is and is in the area - can you have a peep around the canal for us? He DID NOT see anything of the boat - but saying that, he has only just seen a picture of Mr King and realised about the boat.

Trish

I do wonder if he is more clever than we are giving him credit for.

Having painted the boat blue, he strikes up a protracted conversation with some people on holidays.

Not that clever, he didn't allow for the fact that those people might ask the name of the boat.... :lol:

Now that's an idea. Given that the weather forcast this weekend is good and there are enough of us following this story why don't we all go and patrol our local stretch of canal. I wll cover the GU Leicester branch from top of Watford to top of Foxton (including the Welford Arm). I know that the previous sighting in this area is now being discounted, but if nothing else this will eliminate the area completely. If enough of us do this and post areas covered here we can reduce considerably future search areas and perhaps even get Trish's boat back.

Graham

Graham, can you help with the Bridge 61 Pub? Is that anywhere near where you are going?

Trish, details are:

Bridge 61

Canalside pub and garden

Teas, coffees, good food and snacks available.

Meals for parties by arrangement.

Open 11am to 11pm everyday throughout the summer Lunch, evenings and all-day weekends in winter.

Friendly atmospheric bar, with a wealth of photographs and artifacts relating to the local canal and the world-famous Foxton Inclined Plane Boat Lift. Children and dogs welcome.

Watch the boats go by; feed the ducks!

"BRIDGE 61"

Foxton Locks.

Tel: 0116 2792285.

E Mail: tony@foxton-boats.freeserve.co.uk

It appears to be part of Foxton Boat Services - http://www.foxtonboats.co.uk/Introduction.htm - might be worth contacting them?

Jon

I'll do Leamington towards Napton as far as I can make it tomorrow on my bike, is there anyone on the Oxford Canal between Napton and Banbury?

Jon

I shall be at Napton Junction tomorrow and can look around the Napton flight and up the Old Engine House Arm

Walked the Napton Flight this morning. I've also visited all the 'Hippy' boat groups between Wolfhampcote (my moorings) and Napton, stopping at every bridgehole and having a walk either way. No sign of the boat.

Unless this foxton sighting comes to anything I'll do Marston Doles southwards tomorrow.

None of our boats have any gas on them. We are all diesel.

Trish

Ah. You have removed the instant gas heater, then. It broke down lost time we hired Holly :lol:

Do you use diesel cookers, then?

Nick

Edited by Theo

At this stage, anywhere is worth looking. The last confirmed sighting is Malc on 28th March, so any distance could have travelled in that time, so if you have the time it would be great.

Many thanks,

Jon

Ah. You have removed the instant gas heater, then. It broke down lost time we hired Holly :lol:

Do you use diesel cookers, then?

Nick

Hi Nick

Sorry to hear you had problems!! Hope they were sorted out for you.

Yes, our cookers are diesel. We had a few teething problems with them at first, but, touch wood, they are now sorted and people are being very favourable about them on our customer comment sheets. I think, people are a lot happier knowing that from a health & safety angle, the boat are gas free. (just doing a bit of advertising there!!)

Trish

Graham, can you help with the Bridge 61 Pub? Is that anywhere near where you are going?

Trish, details are:

It appears to be part of Foxton Boat Services - http://www.foxtonboats.co.uk/Introduction.htm - might be worth contacting them?

Jon

Jon, it's just up the road from me. Cannot go today, but will search the area tomorrow if Holly still missing.

Graham

Just spoken to Tony at Foxton boats, and apparently the picture of Mr King looks uncannily like their bar Manager!!!!!

We are not sending the police to arrest him yet - He's still needed to pull pints!!!

Seriously though, we still havent ruled out the foxton area as a possible location for blue Holly.

Trish

There's at least one company working on that. I suspect this latest escapade will make several hire fleets look at it very seriously.

The Tillerman engineer made a joke about us nicking their boat (like we would want to nick it... it didn't even run at the end of the holiday [had to be picked up] - maybe we could write an article for WW richard.. :lol:) .. and how the boats are fitted with trackers.

Thanks for the list of boatyards. I will have a look tonight.. and if I have time I will get a big emailing list together.

(although Richard may already have one.....)

Sam