Missing boat - Holly - NOW FOUND!

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

Phew, I thought I was cracking up there, first I got 13 pages then 15 then 14, then posts started to disappear. All ok now. Further to the above posts I think it unlikely that David King is following this thread because 1) he did not seem the type to have a wifi enabled laptop onboard. 2) he is probably too busy altering the inside now, and 3) why should he even suspect that the internet boaties are hunting him? Further, regarding him selling it, surely any prospective buyer will want a survey and BSS Cert. Having spoken to the guy over a period of a couple of days I feel more that he has had enough of the rat race and just opted out, nicked Holly and sailed off into the system, hoping that a colour change will be enough to enable him to disappear. He really came across as a nice bloke, he took great care of our little cruiser in the locks (though maybe this was self preservation), he was neat, clean, concerned about his laundry (which he did in Warwick), he was a great help on the flight and he actually came looking for us in the Two Boats pub but didn't find us. We came out of the pub at about 22:00 and saw his boat near ours, we called out to him and he emerged from the boat and we chatted for about 20 mins, when we looked inside he had Nicholsons map of the whole system pinned to the wall and said he was marking all his journey on it as he progressed. We are very sad that he has turned out to be a thief as we really enjoyed his company. When we left at about 08:00 the next morning the boat was still there all closed up as he was probably still asleep.

Unfortunately, at this time of the year, people expect to see folk painting their boats, even ex hire boats thatthey have just bought. I have just painted my own 38 footer, with rollers, and it took less than three hours.

Is she still on the canals? Well, I'm Broads based and there are a number of canal craft down here. Indeed there is a 'Holly' narrow boat in the shed where my boat is. Once again, seeing a boat being craned out is a spring time thing, why would anyone question it? All it takes is a lorry.

I wish the owners well.

From day one, everybody has been looking for the wrong colour boat if the boat was blue at Hatton on 28.3.07. I dont think his intention was to take the boat when he hired it, it would appear that it was a sudden decision around the middle of his second week.

I think that's it in a nutshell.

With all the information that Middlewich and the police have on Mr. King I never even considered that he had set out to steal the boat or would do anything as radical as a re-paint, and therefore have only been looking for a green trad with cratch. I suspect I'm not alone.

Although the chance that he'll enter 'my patch' is pretty remote, I've had a good look at every boat I've seen on my way home tonight, and will now examine every similar sized trad irrespective of colour or trim. Again, I suspect I'm not alone.

I still can't begin to understand what he's playing at though.

I think it is a great shame that as with everything else there is always a rogue and all get tarred with the same brush then!

I'm pleased to hear that the vast majority of hired NBs are as safe as can be expected, and it is very uncommon to find one that isn't.

This is of particular interest to me, as if circumstances permit, and I journey to Thurmaston again this June, I may???? go up to Foxton if I can get the required help for the arduous journey.

It seems a shame not to take the opportunity to go as far south as I can with my boat, while I have it.

This story will now make a good Tv show or film.

Remember the Travelling man he seemingly got from one canal network to another by magic.

What if the chap now on the boat is not the original hirer what could have happened to him?

All so strange.

the boat hire firm has certainly had a lot of publicity, from what i have heard all regional television newscasts have carried the story.

the boats for hire are so good you will not want to give it back.

I'm looking forward to the eventual release of a film about this escapade!

I can imagine Rowan Atkinson in the lead (and only) role, arms stretched out at the front of the boat shouting that he is "King of the Canal Network"!!!!!

They may have to speed up some of the paint drying and chase sequences though or the film will be too long.

I can imagine Rowan Atkinson in the lead (and only) role, arms stretched out at the front of the boat shouting that he is "King of the Canal Network"!!!!!

They may have to speed up some of the paint drying and chase sequences though or the film will be too long.

HA! HA!

I like this idea!!! Any idea who could play me? or the MD?

Trish

PS my apologies to Malc for the picture being published with your boat as well. It was not intentional, and thank you so much for everything.

It could be turned into an annual event.

Half a dozen private boats leaving from diverse locations around the country and given a week to get away before people start looking for them.

HA! HA!

I like this idea!!! Any idea who could play me? or the MD?

Trish

PS my apologies to Malc for the picture being published with your boat as well. It was not intentional, and thank you so much for everything.

Brian Blessed!!!!

It could be turned into an annual event.

Half a dozen private boats leaving from diverse locations around the country and given a week to get away before people start looking for them.

It struck me that this would be a great thing to do.

I volunteer to be the "thief" and float round the canal network for as long as possible, before you lot catch me.

I have been following this story since it first appeared in the national press last week.

We had a large number of canal boat holidays in the 1990's mainly using boats from Anglo-Welsh.

Three things occur to me at present:

1. It must be quite difficult to find a secluded spot where no one would spot someone doing a full repaint.

Not really;

a) a full repaint doesn't take that long.

:( it's quite common to see people painting up a boat they bought out of a hire fleet.

c) It's quite common to see people painting a boat under a motorway bridge, rather than on their mooring, to avoid the dust.

2. Could any new sightings be more specific about nearest postal town and direction of travel (for those of us who are unsure where some of the lock flights are or can't remember)

3. Surely the most difficult problem would be re-fuelling. How big is the fuel tank on this boat and how far would anyone get without re filling? I assume that going to a car garage with a small can is an option, but not very likely. A toilet pump out could be avoided if someone was using facilities on land and food is available in many places, but diesel is harder to get easily.

Have all places where diesel is available been alerted or checked?

Clearly, he could have re-fuelled before the boat was reported missing on 24th March

As he only got from Wolverhampton to Hatton in 8 days, he wasn't running much, and wasn't using much diesel.

He could also have been refilling the tank (and some jerrycans) during that time.

Pum out is no problem, just use a self service machine.

It struck me that this would be a great thing to do.

I volunteer to be the "thief" and float round the canal network for as long as possible, before you lot catch me.

I'll volunteer to sit in the Onslow Arms at Loxwood, keeping an eye open for you - It will only take 10 years or so for the Wey & Arun to join up to the main system but hey! someone needs to cover 'darn saf'

I reckon there would be a role in this for that famous boating detective, David Suchet (AKA Poirot)!

:(

Dave

It has really struck me, just now on here - and being a newcomer to the forums, just how nice people here really are! It is easy to read and see the sense of sheer RELIEF that people are feeling, making light of it, little jokes etc., just the relief of knowing now that this person may be (only) a simple "thief", rather than a potential suicide or victim of some awful tragedy.

So. Hmmmm. Thank you Canal World people :(

Using his little Grey Cells (now repainted as little Blue Cells!)

Pity he didn't come over to us at Huddersfield via the narrow.... think the chase scenes would have to me more "Benny Hill" sped up, otherwise it would be a long film. All that rubbering up at Diggle.....!

It has really struck me, just now on here - and being a newcomer to the forums, just how nice people here really are! It is easy to read and see the sense of sheer RELIEF that people are feeling, making light of it, little jokes etc., just the relief of knowing now that this person may be (only) a simple "thief", rather than a potential suicide or victim of some awful tragedy.

BB (Big Boat) on the Internet is more interesting than BB (Big Brother) on the telly!

They aren't a bad lot on here are they Mareco?

I guess we are drifting off topic with a few jokes but the concern for both the wellbeing of a boater and the loss of a boat for Middlewich Hire is of great concern.

Have a look back at the thread on the theft of NB Cragdale - that brought everyone out!

Given our lad seems to be floating along on Holly with no sense of hurry. If he was heading home then by now he would be getting towards all those boats moored from Rickmansworth on. Using this route also means he does not have to buy any licences or go through any manned locks. Just a thought.

They aren't a bad lot on here are they Mareco?

I guess we are drifting off topic with a few jokes but the concern for both the wellbeing of a boater and the loss of a boat for Middlewich Hire is of great concern.

Have a look back at the thread on the theft of NB Cragdale - that brought everyone out!

Yes Christine. I saw that. And I appreciate what you say and you are right. I just felt the immense sense of relief. from such obviously really people, that this appears to be panning out as a theft (which of course is bad enough in itself) rather than some awful personal tragedy

Will there be a press release with the Blue Holly photo to one of the big national papers like The Sun?

Surely that would get a wider coverage to perhaps solve the mystery.

Much as we are all enjoying the goings on and speculation, Middlewich need their boat back and the man concerned may need help himself.

Will there be a press release with the Blue Holly photo to one of the big national papers like The Sun?

Surely that would get a wider coverage to perhaps solve the mystery.

Much as we are all enjoying the goings on and speculation, Middlewich need their boat back and the man concerned may need help himself.

Yes