Missing boat - Holly - NOW FOUND!

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

have they thought of looking with google earth?.I mean i dont know how often the pictures are updated and a lot of it you cant see properly but if you get good resolution you can make out individual boats clearly and there colours.

A good idea but Google earth can be well out of date and many parts of the country are still in low res so you can’t even make out a boat let alone decide if it’s a certain one. Saying that I did find my boat on there but the picture was taken just over two years ago as Phoenix is in the water and very much in use.

NBPhoenix.jpg

hi guys,

newbie here.. only just got internet on board so thought it would be a good time to join..

i'm moored at Ocker Hill on the Walsall Canal (Northern BCN) and though we've had a few

overnight visitors on the moorings over the last few weeks, Holly wasn't one of them..

hire boats very rarely venture into Northern BCN territories so they tend to stand out when they do..

i also did Anglesey Basin over the Easter break and there was no sign of her up there, on the Anglesey

Branch or anywhere in between.. but things may have changed since Tuesday..

if you speak to a PC Freeman at Chasetown Police, i'm sure he'll be pleased to swing by the basin and have

a look for you.. we fished a safe out of the basin (un-opened!) and he was the friendly local copper who came

to pick it up.. unfortunately, i took a dip overboard into Rushall Bottom Lock on the way back, phone in pocket.. so i no longer

have the number.. another lesson learned..

in the meantime, me and my boaters in crime will keep a lookout when we can on our part of the BCN..

best regards

Dodgy Dave of Ocker Hill

'make mine a magners'

Trish,

I believe that Ivor and Mel Batchelor aboard Mountbatten (and it's butty) moved their Diesel/Coal business from Braunston onto the Leicester Line last year, your man might have re-fuelled from their boat rather than risking a boat yard - I'm sure that BW will know where Ivor and Mel are currently moored - it's worth a shot.

On a tangent, if all the recent sightings are mistaken, but the sighting on the Wolverhampton 21 is correct, then he might have taken a left turn and disappeared up the little used Wyrley & Essington, he could then hide on the Anglesy Branch (at Anglesy Basin) or the Cannock Extension at Little Wyrley. There's a very vigilant chap called Ralph who oversees the yard at Sneyd Junction - again you'll need BW to get in touch with him - perhaps worth another shot.

There's quite a few places to hide away on the BCN that I could list, but I won't waste your time unless the Leicester leads go cold.

Regards

Paul

Dave. Are you the same Dave that we met when we moored overnight at Ocker Hill last May? We had a nice chat to two guys and a barking mad dog! We were on a Canal Cruising Company boat called Rosemary.

Back on topic - there are quite a few anglers from various forums looking out for Holly, and some of them were going out walking the cut this weekend, purposely to look for her. They've got all the contact numbers, so let's hope we get a positive sighting before long.

Janet

hi janet

yep..that would be me.. the short dark bald one on 'Ghostrider' :o

the tall bearded one was neil..and barking mad one was 'Nuala' ...both on 'Tiki Tour'

having said that, we're pretty much all barking mad at Ocker Hill :lol:

yes i remember you cos i think your hire boat was built by Hancock & Lane, same as mine.. and i was going

to nick your back steps cos mine had rusted through in places.. but you'll be pleased to know i've since had em rebuilt.. nice treadplate :(

back on topic.. and just a thought.. if Holly did indeed pass through Brum after climbing the Wolverhampton 21, then she would no doubt be

caught on one of the numerous CCTV cameras that cover the canal area behind the NIA, Sealife Centre, Broad St, Gas St Basin and The Mailbox

at Salvage Turn?

perhaps Middlewhich Police could ask their collegues at West Mids Police for a look-see at the tapes? just to confirm which way she was heading?

best regards

Dodgy Dave of Ocker Hill

'make mine a magners'

Dave. Are you the same Dave that we met when we moored overnight at Ocker Hill last May? We had a nice chat to two guys and a barking mad dog! We were on a Canal Cruising Company boat called Rosemary.

Back on topic - there are quite a few anglers from various forums looking out for Holly, and some of them were going out walking the cut this weekend, purposely to look for her. They've got all the contact numbers, so let's hope we get a positive sighting before long.

Janet

Hello, another newbie here. We're based near Hemel on the GUC and have just come back from 4 days going north, then down the Aylesbury Arm at Marsworth. This is a reasonably isolated (and beautiful) stretch until you get to the town, but therefore other boats are all the more memorable. However, I guess many boaters don't necessarily have TV or computers or have access to the news, so perhaps she is out there after all, and visible, but the people who see her just don't know she is missing. It was only by means of a chance chat at Marsworth with a gongoozler that we knew about it whilst we were afloat. Coincidentally, however, it is on the front page of the local paper as the chap comes from St. Albans (just down the road).

Or am I being optimistic and naive about the waterways grapevine?

Welcome to the forum Fiona. Hope you'll stick around. We're a friendly bunch.

Or am I being optimistic and naive about the waterways grapevine

No, I don't think you're being optimistic or naive. Usually the towpath telegraph performs admirably, but apparently not in this case. It's very strange that it's dragged out so long with so many people looking for such a distinctive boat as Holly. How on earth does a boat like that vanish into thin air?

I thought it would have been resolved in a few days, but it seems to be going on forever! I really hope it turns out that the guy has just decided to keep Holly, give her a respray and a new name (and gets caught, of course!) It's happened before, with Cragdale.

The alternatives don't bear thinking about.

Janet

Thanks, Janet.

I agree with your proposed 'happy' ending, even though we are just starting to rent out our own boat! We are not yet retired and love the idea of sharing her when we cannot use her (as well as recouping some costs, of course!). So far, we have only rented to friends and acquaintances, but it certainly makes you think! However, I am sure that by far the majority of people are honest and that, if it is a theft, it is a very isolated incident. Now I know why our insurance insists we hang onto the passport or driving licence of any renters whilst they are out on the boat....

We and our friends have been overwhelmed by the friendliness of the boating fraternity since our purchase last July. My great aunt and grandmother lived for a while on the 'barges' earlier last century, so it's in my blood.

Looking forward to more interesting chats, and I shall investigate all the other topics on the site.

Fiona

Talked to my best mate in York today who regularly walks the Ouse and Foss and, now and then, further South. Sent him the link to this thread and he's promised me on his iPod he'll keep a weather-eye out.

Have just returned from a two week cruise down to Oxford and back and so have only just seen this. I don't recall seeing Holly on my trip - Southern Oxford, through Braunsto and then north up the GU Leicester Arm to North Kilworth, although I was not looking out for her. A Middlewich boat down here is pretty rare assuming that she hasn't had a paint job but those side windows are distinctive. Am almost certain that she was not on the Leicester Arm (as far as North Kilworth) on Saturday or Sunday as I was looking out for a friend so paid particular attetion to the boats. In any case both Watford and Foxton are manned at this time of year and all boats are noted by the lock-keepers so if BW are aware, they should have spotted her. Still, may be worth a phone call to check.

Will continue to keep an eye out and hope that this has a happy outcome.

Perhaps awareness of this missing boat is not as widespread as we might imagine. The manager of a marina local to me had not heard about it when I spoke to him on Saturday!

I would have thought that Middlewich Narrowboats would have contacted all of the canal based companies.

Nick

Perhaps awareness of this missing boat is not as widespread as we might imagine. The manager of a marina local to me had not heard about it when I spoke to him on Saturday!

I would have thought that Middlewich Narrowboats would have contacted all of the canal based companies.

Nick

No sightings here in Leicester or by boaters passing through - who knew nothing of the issue - they do now!

King Learie

Nick

Hi Nick,

We at Middlewich Narrowboats have contacted as many people as possible from the Police, British Waterways, IWA and all it's members, Canal Boat Companies and as many other different organisations as possible.

Our problem will always be, to get that message passed on to other people who may be able to help.

If you and all the members of this site can help, I will be most grateful.

I have sent Jon a new poster and a picture of Mr King. Jon will be putting this on to your site.

If the boat has now been painted, at least all of you will have Mr Kings picture.

Once again, thank you all for the help so far.

Paul Foskett

Managing Director

Middlewick Narrowboats

Following on from Pauls message above, the hirer Mr David Graham KING is pictured here:

3453.jpg

Obviously, his appearence may have changed slightly over the period (could have grown a beard etc) but this should give you some idea.

Jon

Closing out an earlier 'possible sighting' I mentioned some way back up the thread now - I passed Bugbrooke Marina yesterday and am now certain that the 'Holly' I saw in Blisworth tunnel is the 'Holly' moored at Bugbrooke.... Sorry if it sent anybody off on a false scent.

Thanks for the picture of Mr King, it helps to put a face to the name.

I have just come back from our local Chandlery. Stone Boat Building Company and they have a poster on the door letting people know about Holly, it also has a photograph of the boat.

Maybe this is an idea we could all adopt, by putting a similar thing in our boat windows. It will draw the attention of passers by. After all not everyone has a computer or watches the News.

Has there been anymore news from Mr Kings family?

We have seen Middlewich boats pass us on the Trent and Mersey but not seen Holly at all.

Thanks for the picture of Mr King, it helps to put a face to the name.

I have just come back from our local Chandlery. Stone Boat Building Company and they have a poster on the door letting people know about Holly, it also has a photograph of the boat.

Maybe this is an idea we could all adopt, by putting a similar thing in our boat windows. It will draw the attention of passers by. After all not everyone has a computer or watches the News.

Has there been anymore news from Mr Kings family?

We have seen Middlewich boats pass us on the Trent and Mersey but not seen Holly at all.

Hi All,

If you would like a poster to put on your boats, please email me with your email address to this email address below and I will email a poster we have made up.

PaulFoskett@europeanmarine.co.uk

Thanks again for all your help.

Paul Foskett

Middlewich Narrowboats

Hi All,

If you would like a poster to put on your boats, please email me with your email address to this email address below and I will email a poster we have made up.

PaulFoskett@europeanmarine.co.uk

Thanks again for all your help.

Paul Foskett

Middlewich Narrowboats

Paul,

Could you put a link to it? Save you the time of emailing out copies.

Chris

Here is the poster both in word (.doc) and PDF format:

NB Holly Poster - PDF Format

NB Holly Poster - MS Word Format

Paul would like me to pass on his thanks to all members for their help. It is very much appreciated.

Jon

It says on the poster that "The boat below has been stolen".

Do we know this for a fact? Could there not be another tragic explanation?

Edited by Les Mitchell Hynd

It says on the poster that "The boat below has been stolen".

Do we know this for a fact? Could there not be another tragic explanation?

Hi

The Cheshire Police are now treating this as a stolen narrow boat and the Hertfordshire Police as a missing person.

So both descriptions are correct.

Paul Foskett

Middlewich Narrowboats

Following another converstion with Trish, it appears that the earlier reporting sightings nr to Leciester are likely to have been a different boat, not the Holly we are looking for. Middlewich Narrowboats are suggesting that the search should be opened up again following the last confimed sighting on 20th March near to Birmingham. While obviously a siginificant amount of time has passed, if there are any members around the BCN area that are able to keep an eye out it would be appreciated.

Paul, Trish and the team at Middlewich Boats would like to pass on their thanks to everyone for their help.

I have also created a poster that will fit onto a single A4 page. Unfortunately I can only produce this in PDF format:

Thanks Jon, that's great, will print a few out.

It occurs to me, e.g. if I take one to the Bratch tomorrow lunchtime, that lock-keepers do not note down craft names, only numbers. Should Holly's Reg. No. be included on the poster?