Electric Barge 1931

Bewildered

Featured Posts

That's brilliant, I wonder what company built the motor?

I can imagine the fun to be had by little boys dropping a chain across the wires from a bridge.

I also wonder why it pulls itself instead of pushing, unless it's backing up instead of turning around.

I hope he had a rubber hat on going 8nder that bridge, I wouldn't have liked liked to liked to have been stood on deck inches from those two cables

Looks like a dodgy setup! Presumably the voltage was fairly high to help avoid volt drop issues.

The voltage was 550 volts DC, fed from the tramway generating station which backed onto the canal. Only sign left today is one hook set into the rock face above Falling Sands lock, this was for the catenary wires. Poles bases remained but BW pulled them out.

The voltage was 550 volts DC, fed from the tramway generating station which backed onto the canal. Only sign left today is one hook set into the rock face above Falling Sands lock, this was for the catenary wires. Poles bases remained but BW pulled them out.

Lovely!

Apparently it was old boat men and not, as legend would have it, Kenneth Williams who first coined the phrase “Frying Tonight”

Did this idea die out because?

a. It was stupid

b. It was to expensive, and stupid

c. It killed someone and then they realized it was stupid

d. It killed several before they realized it was stupid

e. It still couldn’t compete with the trains

f. Someone mentioned Health & Safety and a shiver went through all of them even though they had never even heard of such a thing but knew it to be the bane of the working man.

g. It was pointed out that putting the collector on top of the wires, with a boat pole, on a windy day was way much more dangerous than filling a diesel tank

h. They knew it was stupid before they did it but decided to do it anyway, just because we can, because we are British and that’s what we do. For my next trick I will climb Mt Everest in plus fours whilst smoking a pipe and drinking a G&T, "chin, chin"!