Recommendations for an LED desk/work light?

Guest User

Featured Posts

I'm currently looking to purchase an LED desk lamp that gives a good bright white light - Ideally to run off the boat's 12v DC but I can make use of a 240v AC one if needs must (maybe there's one with an external power 'brick' which might mean it could do either?), it needs to be adjustable so that I can tilt the head about a bit and it needs to be dirt cheap good value for money - any suggestions please?

Many thanks,

LCx

I have a 240V led table lamp in the lounge, but any benefit from the power saving lamp is negated by the inverter losses unless it's running anyway. Hence mine's only on when the TV is also in use. Something to consider if you have the choice of 240 or 12V at the location.

Ihave started using an led rechargable inspection type light , move it round to wherever i move ,bed , kitchen table or even outdoors , just put it on charge whenever the engine is running which is everytime I am on the boat , hook to hang it from any number of places.

I have a 240V led table lamp in the lounge, but any benefit from the power saving lamp is negated by the inverter losses unless it's running anyway. Hence mine's only on when the TV is also in use. Something to consider if you have the choice of 240 or 12V at the location.

40 Watts bit of an inefficient inverter

40 Watts bit of an inefficient inverter

Ok then: much of the benefit of an LED lamp over a tungsten lamp is negated by inverter losses with a 240v lamp unless the inverter is already running. I think the thrust remains the same - if the OP has the choice, and 240 or 12v was mentioned, a 12v LED would be more efficient. It seems daft to run the inverter just to power an LED desk lamp if you don't need to.

Ok then: much of the benefit of an LED lamp over a tungsten lamp is negated by inverter losses with a 240v lamp unless the inverter is already running. I think the thrust remains the same - if the OP has the choice, and 240 or 12v was mentioned, a 12v LED would be more efficient. It seems daft to run the inverter just to power an LED desk lamp if you don't need to.

Now you have said that I think I have miss read your other post. I thought you were advocating using a standard bulb in a 240 fitting hence the 40w

Thanks for the ideas

Ihave started using an led rechargable inspection type light , move it round to wherever i move ,bed , kitchen table or even outdoors , just put it on charge whenever the engine is running which is everytime I am on the boat , hook to hang it from any number of places.

I've been using one of these but the spread of light isn't wide enough and/or I can never seem to get it in the right place

Hobbycraft do several different handy L E D lights including a folding one, which can be either handheld or free standing. I use the one I got for reading mainly.
Ian.

Thanks, I've had a look at the Hobbycraft lights now - nothing there that quite matches what I'm after.

Lidl LED work light , re charges on mains or 12 volts . Hangs up with a hook.

I've got a Rolson one with 60 little LEDs but it doesn't produce a nice wide spread of light, and it shakes when I'm running the machine which I find really distracting.

ive got a few of these..

Kvart wall spot

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90152447/

flexible and dirt cheap, 240v though.

can be bought with a base for £12 but the clamp on the £5 one works fine for me

Thanks, looks handy although not quite the daylight light I'm looking for.

Soooooo, I'm thinking of one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/10w-led-floodlight-a64kn

It's not very pretty and it is 240v but I think it'll provide lots of light (they also do 20W and 30W versions). I'll have to make some sort of stand for it.

I was wondering if there's any way of adapting the internal wiring to connect 12vdc to these?

LCx

Edited by Lady Cassandra

I have converted a couple of desk lamps to LED but have not been totally satisfied with the result The light is too directional and so concentrated over a small area. More recently I have got a bankers lamp (or even two) from eBay and converted these to LED and am very happy them. The inside of the lamp housing is white so by using the LED bulbs that shine in all directions it makes a very bright but diffuse light.

Not a cheap way to do things though.

...........Dave

I have a Hella chart light (the flexible stalk version) which I reckon to be as good as any other I've tried.
They do a fair range of these chart lights, most with dual colour LEDs and they are fairly indestructible (which as a bit of clutz I find useful)

Not the cheapest in the world but effective

Thanks for the ideas

Soooooo, I'm thinking of one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/10w-led-floodlight-a64kn

It's not very pretty and it is 240v but I think it'll provide lots of light (they also do 20W and 30W versions). I'll have to make some sort of stand for it.

I was wondering if there's any way of adapting the internal wiring to connect 12vdc to these?

LCx

Not easy to convert to 12v depending on the Led chip you would need driver with a 12v input and an output to match the LED

You can find a 12v version on eBay for about the same or less. I had a mains one that went faulty and bought some new LED chips and 12 v driver for pence from China and its now my tunnel light. Go for the warm white version unless you like the rather harsh blue/white light

They are bit industrial looking but fairly small