A new proud owner

johnnie1uk

Featured Posts

Hi Folks,

Tomorrow i am picking up the NB ive just purchased, Its on the Middlewich and for a challenge, my wife and myself are taking her down South.

After a lot of poring over maps, studying winter stoppages etc. we are going south(ish) on the Trent and Mersey for a start, with the "initiation of fire" of The Harecastle after 2 or 3 days. wish us luck and honk your horn if you see us.

Glad to hear that, we are coming from the Venetian. I couldnt fancy going thro Brum and didnt know if we could beat the stoppages there anyway.

If your boat has a cratch cover on the front it is worth considering dropping it down from the front cabin corners, that way if you do happen to catch the front corners on the roof in Harecastle you won't rip the canvas.

We didn't take this precaution .....rolleyes.gif

If your boat has a cratch cover on the front it is worth considering dropping it down from the front cabin corners, that way if you do happen to catch the front corners on the roof in Harecastle you won't rip the canvas.

We didn't take this precaution .....rolleyes.gif

Yes, first time I went through it I bashed the roof a couple of times, but this year I managed to get through unscathed so I must be getting a bit better!

I think the point about Brum is that, interesting though I'm sure it is, it does sit on a plateau so there are a lot of extra locks to do compared to alternative routes, which, if the OP is tied to a schedule, may not be to his advantage.

Tips for Harecastle:

As well as your headlight, a powerful torch on the roof (on the back hatch, facing forwards) so you can see the front corners of the boat helps a lot

Be aware that while the roof comes down in steps, it also goes up, you see it coming down and tend to duck under, but you miss it going back up again, you do this 2 or 3 times and you end up bent over with your eyes too low to steer the boat properly.

Cabin lights on is good for any tunnel (except the back cabin, perhaps)

Look out for the skeleton (if it's still there).

What's the max height for the Harecastle Tunnel? Please.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25531

There are of course height gauges and the tunnel keepers will advise too.

Ed to add, most standard narrow boats will be fine, yours will likely be too.

I hit the sides after losing concentration and wandering away from the centre. I found it a tad disorientating what with the changing roof height more than anything. If I had maintened centre line all the way it would have been fine. It's a long way though.

Edited by MJG

Thanks Martin.

We have a big top box and a stuck chimney. And plant pots. I'll get the tape measure out tomorrow.

The chimney (depending how high and how close to the cabin side) might be an issue,

but if it is it won't be stuck much longer!

It depends on the water level (obviously) we went thru once and I had to kneel down and peer over the roof to get past the low bits, the last time thru, was standing all the way (but we had been regularly running aground on the way to the tunnel).

If you hit the height chains at the entrance - don't proceed !!!

Edited by Alan de Enfield

A long way to go to find you can't get through though.

Congrats to Johnnie on getting his boat. Enjoy your trip. We bought Nightwatch in October and travelled from Norbury to Banbury. The weather wasn't very kind to us. But we still enjoyed the experience.

Martyn

You dont need to go fast through the tunnel. I followed the general advice that speed keeps you in the centre, and it was hard work and I still banged the sides a few times. probably di about 4 knots as we were through in 29 mins.

A day or so later we went through Preston Brook at probably about 2 knots... much less stressful, didnt hit the sides, thus a much preferred option.

Take the chimney off and lower any aerials.

As an alternative to Harecastle and Brum, you could turn left out of Venetian, left onto the Shroppie to Autherley, left onto the Staffs & Worcester, right at Great Haywood onto the Trent & Mersey, right at Fradley onto the Coventry and left at Hawkesbury onto the N orth Oxford. All pleasant scenery and just as quick as going through Brum due to fewer locks.

As an alternative to Harecastle and Brum, you could turn left out of Venetian, left onto the Shroppie to Autherley, left onto the Staffs & Worcester, right at Great Haywood onto the Trent & Mersey, right at Fradley onto the Coventry and left at Hawkesbury onto the N orth Oxford. All pleasant scenery and just as quick as going through Brum due to fewer locks.

That is my favourite North to South route.

So long as you are below Buckby Locks by 2nd November, everything should be OK.

We are spending the night here at Red Bull, will be at the tunnel, tomorrow morning have taken all the advise and prepared.we dont have any stoppages on our route till the 30th of November,so now we can take our time. Its been great fun finding and working out all the idiosyncrasies,of the boat, and starting off on a stretch aptly named "Heartbreak hill" with a strong crosswind has given us great experience in Lock management and boat handling.Updates to follow.

Please don't worry too much about the tunnel. I've found that the manoeuvre to get in to the entrance at the North end is the trickiest bit! Once you're in there it's fine as long as you go at a speed you are comfortable with. The easiest passage we had was when the steerer of the boat in front was wearing a hi-viz jacket which made it really easy keep a sensible distance between us.

Had a great trip through, never touched once, just got her on 1500 rpm (she handles nicely) and sailed through, it was a bit lonely though we were the only boat.

Thanks Matty40s yes we shall get stopped south Oxford, but theres no alternative.

Hi guys and gals, Ive been a bit worried when i found that the boat was losing propulsion though the revs were the same, when i raised the revs , she didnt go any faster but got a big puff of Black smoke, yet if we stopped when i started off again she was running back to normal., i just read back on the topics mentioning loss of propulsion and black smoke and ------its looks like its all those B...... leaves that are the problem!!!!

The canal is covered in them at the moment, so tomorrow i am going to try the remedy--Neutral for a few secs, slow astern a few secs and then carry on, i hope this does the trick!!!

Funny thing was it didnt happen on "Heartbreak hill" although there was plenty leaves, but of cause we had to stop frequently because of the locks!