CRT need funds look at supermarkets

b0atman

Featured Posts

I know, but as I said, 18:30 flight back home Sunday night after a hard weekend's boating, gets in say 20:30 (it always seems to be late) and then a 15 min drive home, Mcdonalds is on the way home, hard to resist vs cooking something when we get back to the house.

Pot Noodle edges McDonald's - not by much though!

We usually make sure we have a couple of decent pizzas in the freezer for such eventualities.

Not much in it time wise between slamming a pizza in the oven or buying a McDonald's from a pizza faced yoof :)

Chips etc are put in cardboard boxes for free but if you want the box put in a carrier bag you pay 5p for it

All shops in Scotland have to charge 5p no matter how big or small or whether you are buying food or clothes

We just all use bags for life. It was amazing how quickly we all stopped expecting everything to be bagged for us. I have heard figures of over 80% fewer poly bags being used

Haggis

Has been in in Scotland for a while now. I think it does help to change behaviours, certainly mine anyway. I do slightly resent having to pay 5p for a paper bag at McDonalds though! (we tend to stop there on the way back from airport to house on a Sunday night - 8pm arrival.)

Certainly, there is a superabundance of plakky bags in the Englandshire canals and anything that might reduce that is welcome!

Also the norm in France and other European countries for yonks now. You just adapt your behaviour, Usually by the time I have got into the habit of fetching my re-usable bags from the car it's time to come home!

ISTR visiting France in the mid. 80's and the big supermarkets didn't supply free bags way back then but my memory could be faulty on that.

I have heard figures of over 80% fewer poly bags being used

Haggis

Probably correct for their issue in shops but a figure nobody will be able to calculate yet (I think) is the rise in sales of other plastic bags as those of us who reused them have to buy bin liners etc.

Probably correct for their issue in shops but a figure nobody will be able to calculate yet (I think) is the rise in sales of other plastic bags as those of us who reused them have to buy bin liners etc.

Absolutely. Apart from the bio-degradable ones which our council now require food waste to be recycled in, I haven't bought a single bin liner since we moved here nine years ago. All that is set to change as soon as we run out of the stock of supermarket bags which is tucked beside the fridge.

I will stick with my empty box from Aldi, once it's full, shopping over.

Bit of challenge when there's only small boxes available though...

Years ago (maybe in the 1980s?) you could always get a cardboard box in a supermarket. They tended to be piled at the end of the check-outs. Then they disappeared - I heard that fire risk was a reason for their demise. I'm pleased to see that they have been making a comeback over the last couple of years.

I always liked the look of the american brown paper grocerie bags in the films, maybe they are not eco freindly either but they do look nice.

Honey i'm home wife throws thick paper bags on worktop.

If you have home delivery from Tesco's you get some of the stuff in paper now anyway, so I would expect that they will just switch to 100% paper, as it is only plastic carriers that seem to have to be charged for in England.

Having now read the bumf, It would also not impact on your general chip shop/chinese takeaway etc as you have to have 250 employees for the restriction to come into force. I am sure the MacDonalds in England use paper bags anyway, so again they should not be impacted by this as it only relates to plasic bags, and many MacDonald's etc are franchises, so some will have less than the 250 employees anyway. The bag also has to be 70 micros or less to be chargeable, so they could make them out of thicker plastic and avoid the charge that way too.

Things like chips (they are explicitly mentioned in the act) are exempt anyway it seems.

Seems a bit complicated to me, should be fun how this evolves......

Edited by john6767

Absolutely. Apart from the bio-degradable ones which our council now require food waste to be recycled in, I haven't bought a single bin liner since we moved here nine years ago. All that is set to change as soon as we run out of the stock of supermarket bags which is tucked beside the fridge.

Years ago (maybe in the 1980s?) you could always get a cardboard box in a supermarket. They tended to be piled at the end of the check-outs. Then they disappeared - I heard that fire risk was a reason for their demise. I'm pleased to see that they have been making a comeback over the last couple of years.

Cardboard boxes have reappeared at our local supermarket.

If you have home delivery from Tesco's you get some of the stuff in paper now anyway, so I would expect that they will just switch to 100% paper, as it is only plastic carriers that seem to have to be charged for in England.

My understanding is that shopping delivered by home delivery is exempt from the charge anyway.

Some info. about when the charge applies and when it doesn't.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/ready-pay-5p-carrier-bags-guide-won-t-pay/story-27764493-detail/story.html

Ignore all of that, the article is clearly incorrect.

Edited by MJG

Having now read the bumf, It would also not impact on your general chip shop/chinese takeaway etc as you have to have 250 employees for the restriction to come into force. I am sure the MacDonalds in England use paper bags anyway, so again they should not be impacted by this as it only relates to plasic bags, and many MacDonald's etc are franchises, so some will have less than the 250 employees anyway. The bag also has to be 70 micros or less to be chargeable, so they could make them out of thicker plastic and avoid the charge that way too.

Things like chips (they are explicitly mentioned in the act) are exempt anyway it seems.

Seems a bit complicated to me, should be fun how this evolves......

Thanks for the info John, to be honest ive not been in a super market for years but they use to always go overboard with the carry bags and have em at them already opened ready for the next customer, i think Aldi is the only place that hides the plastic bags out of immediate view.

Paper is really recylable now and is a better way to go for sure

I do wish they would bring back Chippy rapped in newspaper though, they just dont taste the same in that polystyrene anymore they go all limp and wet.

mmm salt and vinigar chips sweating through newspaper yummy.tongue.png

Edited by grumpy146

No that is not the case, home delivery and click and collect is included if you have single use plastic bags.

Cheers yes see my amendment, the article I sourced the info. from was incorrect. When I checked the dot Gov site it was very clear that bags used in a home delivery are chargeable.

To be honest this had all sneaked up on me, CWDF is useful for keeping informed about all sorts of things!

I just had a look for Tesco's statement on this, and it looks like they will not be switching to paper bags though, shame. But is it really similar to Scotland and Wales, there seem to be so many exclusions in the rules for England.

Carrier bag charging begins in England on 5th October 2015, similar to the charging already in place in Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland.

Tesco, like other large retailers, will be required by law to charge a minimum of 5p for every carrier bag used by a customer. All proceeds generated from sales of the bags will be given to good causes, as set out by Defra (Department for Environment Food & Rural Affairs). It's all part of the government's drive to reduce waste.

We've got some really exciting plans that will give our customers the chance to make a difference to good causes locally and nationally and will be sharing more information with you about that soon.

I was going to say 'Well done' to the Government for bringing in this legislation until I read into it a bit more. Firstly the Legislation was drafted on 19th March 2015 so it would still have been under the coalition and Secondly it was as a result of EU Law anyway so perhaps only a cheer and a bit for the Government (rather than three cheersunsure.png ). When you look at the Government site relating to this it can only be good however since they claim we throw away 57,000 tonnes of single use plastic bags each year (how many of those Tonnes do I get round my prop??). An unfortunate amount of this ends up in the sea where it creates all manner of far more serious problems that the few bits I get round my prop do!

When you look at the Government site relating to this it can only be good however since they claim we throw away 57,000 tonnes of single use plastic bags each year (how many of those Tonnes do I get round my prop??). An unfortunate amount of this ends up in the sea where it creates all manner of far more serious problems that the few bits I get round my prop do!

As I pointed out earlier the reduction in single use plastic bags will not come anywhere near equalling the amount given out in shops. The reason being that a large proportion of the population (everybody I know well for example) reuse the bags for things such as bin liners, all they will do is go out and buy a roll of single use bags to line their bin.

With regard to the plastics in the sea single use plastic bags are a mere drop in the ocean (pun intended) all plastic in the sea ends up as micro particles which are the real problem. We even include plastic micro particles in some tooth paste so that it doesn't need to wash around a long time breaking down. It arrives ready broken down.

An incentive to reduce the use of plastic in general and encourage the recycling would have more support from me.

EDIT: To add plastic in front of micro particles.

Edited by Jerra

To be honest this had all sneaked up on me, CWDF is useful for keeping informed about all sorts of things!

Our local ASDA have had notices on all their checkouts advising of the change for about a month now. They are pushing their 6p bags for life along side this.

Our local ASDA have had notices on all their checkouts advising of the change for about a month now. They are pushing their 6p bags for life along side this.

Only supermarket have been in for perhaps a year is Tesco's at Southam (near the boat), have not noticed anything there. At home we use delivery or click and collect, you don't want to be mixing with the unwashed masses smile.png

October the 5th I believe is the date that large ? shops will have to charge for plastic carrier bags which upto now have been totally free except M&S.

The charge of 5p reduced by VAT reduction to 4p then probably by the supermarket for costs leaving ?p to be donated to charity .

Being as we boaters seem to have been the biggest collectors of these bags recycling as rubbish bins and using as prop protectors, then surely the relevant Manager should have already approached all supermarkets cap in hand ?

A rather England centric post there have been charges for plastic carrier bags for quite a while in Wales & Scotland.

I guess the tesco home delivery man will not be happy when he waits for the crates to be unpacked.

Our deliveries to the boat are usually in bags as we can then lift them from crates on towpath into boat. The bags were re used.

Personally if plastic bags are such a problem....ban them 100%. At the same time bring in law that all plastic packaging must be recyclable. How many times do you get a message on packaging saying currently not recyclable. Always the same approach problems in a half hearted way.

What about franchised shops such as Spar, Mace, KFC and some McDonalds ( taken from McD's website There are 1,200 McDonald's restaurants in the UK. 65% of which are franchised and 35% company-owned).

These are ran as small businesses and I doubt any of them would employ over 250 staff.

With regard to the plastics in the sea single use plastic bags are a mere drop in the ocean (pun intended) all plastic in the sea ends up as micro particles which are the real problem.

What is the problem with 'micro particles' please?

I thought these bags that degraded and fell to bits in the fullness of time were supposed to be 'environmentally friendly' (whatever that means).

I guess the tesco home delivery man will not be happy when he waits for the crates to be unpacked.

Our deliveries to the boat are usually in bags as we can then lift them from crates on towpath into boat. The bags were re used.

Personally if plastic bags are such a problem....ban them 100%. At the same time bring in law that all plastic packaging must be recyclable. How many times do you get a message on packaging saying currently not recyclable. Always the same approach problems in a half hearted way.

It works fine for us in Wales.