Residential moorings in/near Manchester

LouiseS

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I'm working in Manchester and hoping to get a narrow boat when my house lease runs out next summer. It's something I've always wanted to do and now seemed like a good time to indulge!

I've been looking into it and am starting to realise that finding a residential mooring is much harder than getting hold of the boat itself. I want to live as near to the city as possible (preferably in it) but the only place I can find there is New Islington marina, which has a bad reputation from what I've read. I'm starting to look further afield, eg Hebden Bridge or Sale. Need to start doing some strolls along the canal and talking to people, I think!

Can anyone recommend anywhere decent in the area that does moorings? Key features would be somewhere quite safe (I'll likely be on my own), somewhere I can easily get into Manchester from and ideally, somewhere where there's a bit of community among boating folk.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Thanks for your replies! I'll go and look into some of those :-).

I've come across a few horror stories about the Ashton Canal and marinas along there (New Islington/Droylsden). Are these justified, would you say, or is it actually generally ok in that area? As I say, security is pretty high on my priority list. It's difficult to tell whether these things are genuine or sensationalised though.

New Islington Marina or Droylsden Marina

Like Star says, other than Droylesden which doesn't list residential on their website so it might be "informal" link below to their site.

Boothstown, forget it, the Bridgewater CC doesn't do residential in their marines and no blind eyes get turned these days other than Preston Brook where there are a few ressi moorings. The only option I can see is New Islington and if you believe the publicity it's not the best place in the world, I've never been to the marina but it's not a part of Manchester I'd like to be in after dark.

Manchester just isn't very boater friendly sort of place, all the buildings have their backs turned to it and the residents (who bought the flats with a canal view) ain't too friendly either.

K

http://www.portlandbasinmarina.co.uk/services-offered/droylsden-marina/

Thanks for your replies! I'll go and look into some of those :-).

I've come across a few horror stories about the Ashton Canal and marinas along there (New Islington/Droylsden). Are these justified, would you say, or is it actually generally ok in that area? As I say, security is pretty high on my priority list. It's difficult to tell whether these things are genuine or sensationalised though.

If you want to know the truth about New Islington marina you might want to mail Deans as he moor's there, this will help you decide about it.

If you want to know the truth about New Islington marina you might want to mail Deans as he moor's there, this will help you decide about it.

Dean feels he has to get out during the summer, but I believe he intends to return once the school holidays are over.

I've moored there overnight, and it was fine, but I wouldn't like to be there long term.

• 2 weeks later...

The Bridgewater Canal does have residential moorings at 3 sites.

Preston Brook Marina (50 moorings)

Stretford Marina (3 moorings)

Bridgewater Marina Boothstown (3 moorings)

Needless to say there are only residential slots left at Preston Brook due to the amount. You'd have to go on the waiting list for the other 2 if you preferred them.

Your best bet if you prefer the Bridgewater is to contact the Bridgewater Canal Co.

I have contacted Peel holdings to see who has the waiting lists for moorings on the Bridgewater as no one seems to know including peel holdings! I am currently in the process of buying a boat and really wanted to cruise the bridgewater but moor up in winter but there are currently no moorings available other than urban splash which I really dont fancy, I am from Manchester and would not choose to live up in Droylsden!!! not a pleasant place. The problem is that you cant get a licence for the bridgewater without a mooring and with no moorings available you cant get a licence MAD!!!! I am looking for anyone who can help with advice on getting round this!! could I get a CRT licence and cruise the Bridgewater does anyone know??? I dont see the point in residential moorings as they are so expensive it seems it would be cheaper to live on dry land, they are offering residential at White Bear which I think is on the L&L, Pennington Wharf is ideal when built but no overnight stays between November and March on permanent moorings!! Stretford Marina has no available moorings and there is a waiting list of 5 nad Boothstown full with I believe a very long waiting list (who the hell has the wl is beyond me) The bridgewater seems to be a nightmare!!!! ANY ADVICE WELCOME

You can get a licence for the Bridgewater, you get 7 days as part of the reciprocal agreement and then if you want to stay longer a short term licence is £40 for 7 days.

Whilst Peel own and operate most of the moorings there are a few moorings owned/leased and managed privately. You'll need to make contact with the person responsible for these sites as there should be moorings vacant - obviously Peel dont know the situation with these.

Preston Brook marina has 50 residential berths available which although isn't Manchester as such you can commute.

Here's a link to the moorings on the Bridgewater, your only real prospect is Urban Splash usually called New Islington Marina or Preston Brook.

Unlike CRT Bridgewater mooring rules are 24 hours unless stated otherwise not the 14 days CRT allows so you have to move every day.

You can go on the Bridgewater with a CRT licence but only for 7 days then no return for 28 days or it might be a year depends on who you talk to.

K

http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/boating/mooring

I have contacted Peel holdings to see who has the waiting lists for moorings on the Bridgewater as no one seems to know including peel holdings! I am currently in the process of buying a boat and really wanted to cruise the bridgewater but moor up in winter but there are currently no moorings available other than urban splash which I really dont fancy, I am from Manchester and would not choose to live up in Droylsden!!! not a pleasant place. The problem is that you cant get a licence for the bridgewater without a mooring and with no moorings available you cant get a licence MAD!!!! I am looking for anyone who can help with advice on getting round this!! could I get a CRT licence and cruise the Bridgewater does anyone know??? I dont see the point in residential moorings as they are so expensive it seems it would be cheaper to live on dry land, they are offering residential at White Bear which I think is on the L&L, Pennington Wharf is ideal when built but no overnight stays between November and March on permanent moorings!! Stretford Marina has no available moorings and there is a waiting list of 5 nad Boothstown full with I believe a very long waiting list (who the hell has the wl is beyond me) The bridgewater seems to be a nightmare!!!! ANY ADVICE WELCOME

From what I understand of the licence conditions, the Bridgewater just doesn't lend itself to a cruising lifestyle, unfortunately.

If you have a Bridgewater licence, you're required to move every 24 days when you're away from your mooring. If you have a CRT licence, you're required to move every 24 hours while on the Bridgewater and you're only allowed to stay on it for up to 7 consecutive days.

So if you're wanting to cruise most of the year and moor in one spot through the winter, I think your best option is likely to be a CRT licence (entitling you to cruise their waters while moving to a new place at least every 14 days, as well as the Bridgewater as detailed above) plus either a temporary mooring in a marina over the winter or a CRT winter mooring permit (entitling you to moor in one place, ignoring the 14 day requirement, during the winter months).

The CRT will expect you to cover a fair distance throughout the year if you have no home mooring. This is not well defined, but if you were able to spend a bit of time on the Leeds & Liverpool at one end of the Bridgewater, and a bit of time on the Trent and Mersey and the Weaver at the other, plus the odd week/weekend on the Bridgewater itself, I'd have thought you'd be OK. There's also the option of coming off the Bridgewater in Manchester, of course, and heading along the Rochdale or the Ashton, but that might be less convenient in that the first few miles in either case are relatively heavy going and not places you'd probably want to moor. On the other hand, the rural Rochdale, the Peak Forest and the Macclesfield are lovely canals and worth the effort. It depends on what areas it's practical for you to cruise.

What was your original reason for wanting to stick to the Bridgewater?

Id guess that continually cruising around the Cheshire Ring would comply with any definition. Particularly if there was an occasional trip off it for a week or so.

With careful research of public transport, and possibly a car moved around from time to time, commuting to work would be possible, if a little inconvenient at times.

Kevin, there are absolutely no "no return" times stated at all, so you could in reality return after 24 hours.

Tell Dean that he's had a run in with the enforcement officer and that's not what he's been told, there never has been a no return policy but it looks like there is one now.

K

Why do you think you should be able to get around it? There are limited liveaboard moorings around Manchester, most of which are full and have waiting lists and/or are expensive. Maybe you should be reviewing your lifestyle choice.

Nope, definitely no policy. The enforcement officer will know this, and will be trying it on.

"Trying it on" is a mild description for what I experienced. Harassment is much more accurate...to the point that it'll take a lot for me to plan a trip down to the Bridgewater any longer....I'd rather do the 20 locks up to the Rose of Lancashire.......just being honest....the Bridgewater is lovely if you can moor and be left alone for 7 days, but this isn't the case in many cases recently reported.