Tasty courgette recipes needed

Woodstock

Featured Posts

I slice them thinly and bake them in butter or olive oil until they reduce and brown. Delicious delicacy I could eat tons of!!

They also reduce in volume doing baking to about 1/4 of orginal so particularly suitable for your 'problem'. Parcel up into portion sizes for freezing. Dunno how they would survive freezing and thawing after cooking but quite well I'd imagine.

Not that they'd get as far as the frezer if I was preparing the batch... :)

This is the trouble with growing your own fruit and veg. No matter how much I try to sow a little each of a lot of different crops, I always end up with too much of some things and hardly any of others. Currently I'm grappling with an over-supply of potatoes, beetroot, blackberries, plums and pears, later this month it'll be apples, and in the autumn probably cabbage despite the snails' best efforts to chomp the leaves off. Meanwhile carrots and runner beans are having a bad year, and the radishes and rocket are finished because I sowed too much in March/April but none later.

The only year I had a courgette glut, 2010, I think I mostly just did a simple curry recipe which I've since lost. I think it involved tomatoes. The general trick with gluts is to do a big batch in a stockpot, and either to have a big enough freezer or make something that will keep well in oven-sterilised jars such as a chutney or sweet and sour sauce. I haven't bought these or jam for over five years, and keep trying to distribute surplus jars to friends and family.

In my kitchen there are about 4kg of plums waiting to be made into jam, I'd better get on with it.

Cut courgettes into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Put rock salt on them to reduce water content. Drain. Cover them in chili oil. Griddle over high heat until soft and a bit charred. Cut into bite size pieces and stir into cooked pasta, adding more chili oil if you want plus lots of grated parmesan and black pepper. Really delicious as well as cheap.

The pakoras were very good-similar to bhajis- made me think of a variation of adding some Thai curry paste and chopped prawns, a variation of Thai fish cakes

Never thought of dryng them. Just wondering how to do that? I could put them in the greenhouse

Edited by Woodstock

My grannie used to alternately layer sliced courgettes, breadcrumbs, sliced tomatoes & knobs of butter in a casserole dish, plenty of seasoning & bake slowly till breadcrumbs browned. Works as a side dish or lovely on it's own :)

Edited by Jamboat