Dry water mist fire extinguisher

Cloudinspector

Featured Posts

Anybody had experience of these? I'm thinking about changing our powder extinguishers for these and also adding at least one 6 litre. They seem to meet all the requirements of BSS and look like a clean and efficient method of fire fighting.

http://www.safelincs.co.uk/e-series-water-mist-fire-extinguishers/

Anybody had experience of these? I'm thinking about changing our powder extinguishers for these and also adding at least one 6 litre. They seem to meet all the requirements of BSS and look like a clean and efficient method of fire fighting.

http://www.safelincs.co.uk/e-series-water-mist-fire-extinguishers/

Would rather go for one of these as a clean method of fire protection particularly in engine bay or electrical environment.

Fixed watermist fire fighting systems are being installed in more and more merchant ships in machinery spaces (engine rooms) and as such are approved by classification societies (Lloyds, DNV-GL, BV etc) as replacement for the traditional inert gas systems (CO2 & the newer FE36).

A advantage of a watermist system over inert gas is you would not have to thoroughly ventilate a confined space (engine room / hole for example) after the system has been activated and the fire put out, to remove the inert gas before entering the space.

So have the compliant extinguishers (only) on board for the BSS inspection, but after that, if you prefer your own judgement, you are free to act accordingly. If the water mist extinguishers don't work, you can always argue the point with your insurers after the event.

I recognise that fire extinguishers are there primarily to allow the occupants to escape, not to save a boat from destruction, but would the insurance company see it that way? Somehow I doubt it.

Would rather go for one of these as a clean method of fire protection particularly in engine bay or electrical environment.

The problem with any automatic extinguisher system in the engine room is that it will stop the engine if it activates, and that may not be the best thing to happen in some circumstances. We had a fire starting in some auxilliary machinery as we crossed the channel to France. We were able to put it out using a halon extinguisher (legal at the time) and continued on our merry way. If the engine had stopped we would have been in serious trouble.

Seems odd that powder extinguishers are what most people seem to use given the risk of inhalation, reduced visibility and the mess they leave behind. After watching the demo videos of dry water mist they seem a much more effective way of fire suppression or am I missing something?

Seems odd that powder extinguishers are what most people seem to use given the risk of inhalation, reduced visibility and the mess they leave behind. After watching the demo videos of dry water mist they seem a much more effective way of fire suppression or am I missing something?

Yes - you can't use a water extinguisher on an electrical fire --- unless I'm the one missing something, and water mist is compatible with what used to be called 'the electrical fluid'.

Yes - you can't use a water extinguisher on an electrical fire --- unless I'm the one missing something, and water mist is compatible with what used to be called 'the electrical fluid'.

Water mist extinguishers can be used on electrical fires. The link earlier states they are safe up to 35kv.

I have seen them used on petrol and brake fluid fires in cars and they are very effective and safe. Some of the Rally Rescue Units are now equipping themselves with them

The powder extinguishers are seen as a good all round option and no danger of them losing capacity because some or all of the water in them is frozen. Never used an extinguisher on my boat and hope I never need to, but I suspect that if I did need to, then the mess left behind is the least of my worries.

They are tested up to 35kv so are safe to use on electrical equipment

Check out this video

http://youtu.be/OU4AYavoi-M

Water mist extinguishers can be used on electrical fires. The link earlier states they are safe up to 35kv.

I have seen them used on petrol and brake fluid fires in cars and they are very effective and safe. Some of the Rally Rescue Units are now equipping themselves with them

They are tested up to 35kv so are safe to use on electrical equipment

Thanks both -- happy to learn something new every day.

Perhaps the BSS will catch up with the latest technology in its own good time!

Edited by Machpoint005

Thanks both -- happy to learn something new every day.

Perhaps the BSS will catch up with the latest technology in its own good time!

That is the problem, some (if not most) smaller certification / authorisation bodies are so behind when it comes to approving new technology.

I must admit while I have been aware of the large fixed watermist systems installed on merchant ships this is the first

I have become aware of the portable ones in the OP, and was quite impressed with the demo video.

Unfortunately it will most most likely be quite some time before the portable watermist fire extinguishers become acceptable - similar to the time it took wet chemical extinguishers for deep fat fryers to be acceptable?

So have the compliant extinguishers (only) on board for the BSS inspection, but after that, if you prefer your own judgement, you are free to act accordingly. If the water mist extinguishers don't work, you can always argue the point with your insurers after the event.

I recognise that fire extinguishers are there primarily to allow the occupants to escape, not to save a boat from destruction, but would the insurance company see it that way? Somehow I doubt it.

Why "ONLY" I know of no regulation that says you can't have others, it juts says you MUST have the ones they say. so see no reason for removing water mist for the BSS.

Water is the extinguishing media with the biggest supply, even oil refineries use (very big!) water mist systems to stop spread of heat and flame.

However where you have BSS to contend with they will NOT be up to speed with technology but you have to follow their rules or fail BSS.

It's a bit like a comment about "Thatcham" graded security systems, but ONLY the old systems are tested, the new developments are not "Thatcham" approved because they haven't been tested.

The best/fastest fire cut down in a vehicle was the pressure lance from a street cleaner truck -rather a LOT of high pressure water mist.

When I worked for Elf-Flexigas our bulk tankers parked up in a sort of open framework to transfer gas to and from the main holding tanks. This framework was covered in spray heads which in the event of a fire would cover the vehicle in water mist.

Phil

Rubbish. I used to work in the critical power industry (hospitals, data centres, communications etc) and water mist systems were routinely used up to 11,000 volts. They act like a fog, cooling the heat and removing oxygen, rather than drenching everything.