Delph locks, going down

NB Lola

Featured Posts

The waterfront is good we always stop there when going that way. You have a Wethspoon's on your doorstep for cheap beer and food, and free WiFi. If there did happen to be no mooring freethere, then just past on the embankment overlooking Merry Hill there are lots more moorings.

The waterfront is good we always stop there when going that way. You have a Wethspoon's on your doorstep for cheap beer and food, and free WiFi. If there did happen to be no mooring freethere, then just past on the embankment overlooking Merry Hill there are lots more moorings.

But as RLWP suggests much better beer and as cheap as McSpoons at the Vine, (aka The Bull & Bladder)

I think it's mostly because the bottom is quite public, whereas the top is a bit secluded. Secluded is fine if no undesirables notice you, but trouble if they do, whereas public and open is probably safer, although we have never moored at the bottom either.

But as RLWP suggests much better beer and as cheap as McSpoons at the Vine, (aka The Bull & Bladder)

True but not as close! They made us laugh in 'spons last year, we dropped in to have a drink coming back to the boat after a meal out, and we thought we will come in for breakfast the folowing morning, so asked the girl behid the bar what time they opened, she said at 8 BUT they did not serve alcohol until 9. We actually got there around 9 and sure enough there were plenty of drinkers in already! We did not have a drink with our cooked breakfast.

There seem to be lots of scrotes at the top,much easier to moor at Merry Hell.Must admit I wouldn't moor at the bottom either.We always do both sets of locks in one fell swoop as the saying goes.We are pretty local.

Trina

Are you referring to the Parkhead Locks or the Stourbridge Sixteen?

Ken

Thanks, Nick. It was the 'both sets of locks' that interested me. Delph is in the middle!

Ken

True, but the other way is just one lock (blowers green) which is not really a "set of locks". I am discounting parkhead since that doesn't really go anywhere (for most people).

Remember when you do go down, to fill the next lock before emptying the one you're in, otherwise it causes all sorts of issues with the volume of water going over the weir and floods the one-from-bottom pound or something - we've done it once so no doubt someone more familiar with these locks can further explain.

I thought the CCTV around Merry Hill moorings extended to just before Delph top lock? That ought to be a deterrent to potential troublemakers.

Not sure it they do, but there are rings all the way I think. There is no need to moor right at the top of the locks though. You can stop at waterfront is there is space, if not just stop on the embankment as soon as you can. You will still be a good few hundred yards from the top lock.

True, but the other way is just one lock (blowers green) which is not really a "set of locks". I am discounting parkhead since that doesn't really go anywhere (for most people).

Ah, yes. I see now. I was including Blowers Green with Parkhead. We are heading down that way and interested to hear others opinions on that area.

Ken

I am discounting parkhead since that doesn't really go anywhere (for most people).

Well, not lightweights in pimply and overdeep boats perhaps

But on the BCN Challenge real boaters take it in their stride.

Perhaps a member of 'Tawny Owl's' crew could be good enough to post some pictures of RLWP's dastardly behaviour above the top lock this year?

smile.pngtongue.pngsmile.png

Well, not lightweights in pimply and overdeep boats perhaps

But on the BCN Challenge real boaters take it in their stride.

Perhaps a member of 'Tawny Owl's' crew could be good enough to post some pictures of RLWP's dastardly behaviour above the top lock this year?

:):P:)

Ah, so did they go through the tunnel? Or did they discover that it didn't really go anywhere and reverse back to the Jn.?

All,

Now moored at the Waterfront. Thanks for advice. Tomorrow it's Stourbridge, then near Bumble hole lock then Coven then Penkridge, then Great Haywood and finally back to Kings Bromley. Hoping the weather improves, left Gas Street at 8:30 and was not long before I was searching for my gloves; the end of July!!

Edited by NB Lola