Delph locks, going down

NB Lola

Featured Posts

Which is the best spot to moor for the Vine? We are hoping to visit in a couple of weeks. Delph bottom lock seems closer, but is it much of a walk from the Merry Hill area, if that's a better mooring spot?

I have always walked from Merry Hill

Richard

If you moor on th Waterfront or above Merry Hill, it's about 10 mins or so to the Vine. Follow the towpath to Delph top lock, walk under the bridge and backtrack up the steps to the road. Turn right, follow the road to a roundabout and turn right again. The pub ( known locally as the Bull and Bladder ) is about 100 yards down. I've never had a bad pint there in the many years I've used it. You may find the locals hard to understand, most are broad Black Country. Enjoy!

Cheers

Dave

The same beer that they had at the end of the BCN Challenge I believe

oh some people did not make it in time biggrin.png, it was very nice.

No! That was Olde Swan, from Netherton.

The beer at The Vine is Bathams.

ETA Tawny Owl's unsportsmanlike behavior was exonerated not only by large quantities of cake but also beer passed over while Red Wharf was hanging about outside Bradley Workshops.

smile.pngcheers.gifsmile.png

Edited by Victor Vectis

No! That was Olde Swan, from Netherton.

The beer at The Vine is Bathams.

ETA Tawny Owl's unsportsmanlike behavior was exonerated not only by large quantities of cake but also beer passed over while Red Wharf was hanging about outside Bradley Workshops.

smile.pngcheers.gifsmile.png

Was it, it is was good!

Thanks... We're schedule to arrive at Delph Locks (going up) late in the afternoon so if we run out of time we might have to take our chances and moor by the bottom lock and walk from there... We'll see how it goes.

Say hi if you pass NB Lola!

All,

Now moored at the Waterfront. Thanks for advice. Tomorrow it's Stourbridge, then near Bumble hole lock then Coven then Penkridge, then Great Haywood and finally back to Kings Bromley. Hoping the weather improves, left Gas Street at 8:30 and was not long before I was searching for my gloves; the end of July!!

You'll pass me, then. Been on the Staffs & Worcs for nearly a month now, slowly working my way through the pubs on this terrific canal. Not sure which way I'll be pointed, though......

• 3 weeks later...