So What To Do Now?

kris88

Featured Posts

Done for you

So have I so he has 2 for the price of one! I woul dhave given him a green thingy myself anyway, though.

N

What is actually wrong with your boat?

Where abouts are you and do you need any help to get the boat moving?

A greeno for this very positive post - arguably more positive than the situation merits.

9 Months does seem to be beyond what anyone could describe as a reasonable time to be stuck waiting for parts (what are you doing ordering one nut per week?)

given a problem that would disable my boat for that long I would have made some temporary modifications just to get moving...

no engine? Beg steal or borrow an outboard and strap it to the stern somehow.

no rudder? use a plank of wood.

Edited by Jess--

I think you know the answer to this Kriss but it has certainly generated a good response. Why not ask if you should fit a pump out or cassette toilet as your next question ?

Ooh, you're a little divvle, so you are.biggrin.png

If this is correct how can it take 9 months to get a part for a Beta.

Kris be honest what is the problem.

I have just found a earlier post from Kris showing a Ruston engine being fitted.

So kriss what exactly needs doing to move the boat under power. If you make an honest statement perhaps some helpful suggestions might be forthcoming.

Give it a try Kris you have exhausted the patience of crt so try here but just be honest and straight forward.

Why do you believe that CRT are bullying Kris?

What in your opinion have they done that constitutes bullying?

Because he is not doing ANYONE any harm including CRT, and CRT have the option to work with Kris's personal situation but chose not to. Sometimes not everything is just black or white. Does everyone stick exactly to speed limits?

However, as I say, I don't know all the circumstances so maybe I'm guilty of armchair judging. Maybe, I should have said CRT are being too draconian about his situation.

Because he is not doing ANYONE any harm including CRT, and CRT have the option to work with Kris's personal situation but chose not to. Sometimes not everything is just black or white. Does everyone stick exactly to speed limits?

However, as I say, I don't know all the circumstances so maybe I'm guilty of armchair judging. Maybe, I should have said CRT are being too draconian about his situation.

to use your analogy not everyone sticks exactly to speed limits or any other limits like 14 days, but very few exceed those limits by 18 times and then complain when the group enforcing those limits (loosely in some areas) pay attention

to use your analogy not everyone sticks exactly to speed limits or any other limits like 14 days, but very few exceed those limits by 18 times and then complain when the group enforcing those limits (loosely in some areas) pay attention

Well as someone who believes that, provided you pay your licence fee, there should be no mooring restriction at all if it's not a VM, we're never going to agree. I know my view is meaningless as the 14 day rule is law, I try to abide by it but I don't agree with it.

kriss you said on the 14th april that you were waiting for dry dock, have you still not been able to get in yet?

So what to do now. Is the name of the thread. 3 pages and as many hours and with no reply from Kriss I see your question going unanswered.

In the last series of posts a while back, on this subject ( Forgive me if I'm wrong) but didn't Kriss state that at that time he could not afford to fix his engine & pay for a mooring at the same time, If he can find out when the part/s will be available, if not for a while, could he not use his cash ( if available) & obtain a mooring. I 'm sure someone would help with a tow etc.to this spot, he could then take as long as he desires to fix his boat with out the C&RT hassling him for non conforming with their T&C's.re CC'ing. I cannot begin to comment on his personal circumstances, but I know if I found myself in this situation I would do everything I could to obtain a mooring, if only for a short period of time to enable me to get the motor going. Maybe the 3 months license would be sufficient to cover this. But if this is a 9 months ongoing saga maybe that wouldn't work. I do take the view though that he is going to have to do something much sooner rather than later & I'm afraid the JIT( Just in time) way of dealing with this is a non starter,as I fear the longer this carries on the hassle will intensify.

In the last series of posts a while back, on this subject ( Forgive me if I'm wrong) but didn't Kriss state that at that time he could not afford to fix his engine & pay for a mooring at the same time, If he can find out when the part/s will be available, if not for a while, could he not use his cash ( if available) & obtain a mooring. I 'm sure someone would help with a tow etc.to this spot, he could then take as long as he desires to fix his boat with out the C&RT hassling him for non conforming with their T&C's.re CC'ing. I cannot begin to comment on his personal circumstances, but I know if I found myself in this situation I would do everything I could to obtain a mooring, if only for a short period of time to enable me to get the motor going. Maybe the 3 months license would be sufficient to cover this. But if this is a 9 months ongoing saga maybe that wouldn't work. I do take the view though that he is going to have to do something much sooner rather than later & I'm afraid the JIT( Just in time) way of dealing with this is a non starter,as I fear the longer this carries on the hassle will intensify.

Common sense.

Well as someone who believes that, provided you pay your licence fee, there should be no mooring restriction at all if it's not a VM, we're never going to agree. I know my view is meaningless as the 14 day rule is law, I try to abide by it but I don't agree with it.

I never said that I agreed with the 14 day rule, it's just a one of those things that we agree to comply with as part of the conditions of our licenses.

I know that given my current work commitments there is no way that I could stay within the rules for CC (mainly because for around 10 weeks each summer I work 18 hour days 7 days a week) so for now I have taken a berth in a marina.

My work commitments should change over the next couple of years and then I fully intend to go down the CC route, but given my history on the boats unless the canal is frozen or the weather is truly atrocious it's unlikely I will be in one spot for 4 days let alone 14.

Thing is if he takes a 3 month license and still don't comply CRT will refuse to issue another license then he will end up with a section 8 because he has no license, thing's will go downhill rapidly from there.

Thing is if he takes a 3 month license and still don't comply CRT will refuse to issue another license then he will end up with a section 8 because he has no license, thing's will go downhill rapidly from there.

I'm personally amazed Kris felt the need to make this thread. Given the letter, and the common sense advice received, its blindingly obvious that he needs a mooring to continue to restore the boat. If he cannot fund both at the same time, then that choice has now been crystallised - without a mooring, soon there will be no boat to restore.

I'm personally amazed Kris felt the need to make this thread. Given the letter, and the common sense advice received, its blindingly obvious that he needs a mooring to continue to restore the boat. If he cannot fund both at the same time, then that choice has now been crystallised - without a mooring, soon there will be no boat to restore.

I agree totally, but it won't be a popular thing to say on here amongst some.

We met a boat on the K&A with a broken engine (and not enough money to replace it) in the winter. He had cheaply rigged up an old outboard to push his boat along. We passed him on the Oxford in the spring so he had managed to get up the Thames.

.............Dave

So what should I do now? constructive comments only please

Canal & River Trust

Dear Sir/Madam

REMINDER TO RENEW YOUR LICENCE

RENEWAL No 114169

Boat MEDLOCK

Index No 76914

We wrote to you on the 2nd March 2015 as you have a Canal & River Trust boat licence and do not have a home mooring. This was part of an information drive to remind all continuous cruisers of the requirement to navigate in accordance with our Guidance for Boaters without a Home Mooring. In that letter we explained that if we had concerns about your past cruising pattern, we would get in touch with you before you need to renew your licence to let you know what happens next.

We are writing to you now as weve taken a look at your cruising pattern over the course of your current licence period. This review has suggested that your boat has hardly moved during your licence period. As we explained in our previous letter, this means were not satisfied that you intend to continuously cruise during your next licence period and we therefore do not consider it appropriate to renew your licence for a further 12 months.

What does this mean for you?

We would normally refuse to grant you a new licence. However, whilst boaters are getting used to this new approach, we are granting three-month licences to give those who barely move the chance to establish an acceptable cruising pattern. We are therefore offering you the opportunity to renew your licence on this basis.

If, after this three-month period, you still havent moved enough to meet the requirements of our Guidance, you will have to secure a home mooring before getting a new licence.

If you do establish an acceptable pattern of movement, we will renew your licence for six months so we can be sure that you do intend to continuously cruise throughout a longer licence period. If you continue to navigate in line with our Guidance over this extended period we will be happy to return you to a 12-month licence.

What do you need to do now?

Firstly, if you already have a home mooring or have made arrangements for one, then you can let us know by providing details of your mooring provider when applying for your licence online. You will then be able to renew your licence without any restrictions.

Alternatively, if you wish to renew your licence on the basis explained above (for three months only), please complete the online renewal form and indicate that you intend to continuously cruise. We will charge you the pro rata rate for three months, how much this will be is detailed below.

If you think that the decision is incorrect and that you feel you have been continuously cruising in line with our Guidance please get in touch with your local enforcement officer. You will need to tell us your reasons and we will ask you to provide evidence.

If you have any questions about this letter please contact your local enforcement officer who will be happy to talk to you about what it means. Contact details for all enforcement officers can be found online at www.canalrivertrust.org.uk/enforcement. Alternatively, please give our customer services team a call on the number below.

The licence for this boat expires on the 31 July 2015 and your renewal notice is enclosed.

Two quick ways to renew your licence

Online at: https://licensing.canalrivertrust.org.uk/LongTermLicence/Renewal/114169

By telephone with customer service: 0303 040 4040

Have your paperwork ready!

Please check that all the information on the renewal notice is correct. Please could you :

Ensure that your boat safety certificate is valid. If you require a new one, please allow a minimum of 21 days after inspection before applying for a licence.

Update your insurance details. We do not need a copy of the certificate (we undertake random checks instead).

If your mooring site has changed please supply us with the new address / location.

Make any changes to correct the details shown about you, the licence you require, or the boat.

The amount that you will need to pay for your next licence depends on when we receive your correctly completed application (and any enclosures).

If you choose to renew your continuous cruiser licence for the probationary three month period the key dates and amounts are as follows:

Date we receive your application Amount due

Up to the start date of your new licence £203.26 (Early payment rate)*

Up until one month after the start date of your new licence £225.84 (Full fee)

One month or more after the start date of your new licence £375.84 (Full fee plus late payment charge)**

If you choose to change to a home mooring the key dates and amounts are as follows:

Date we receive your application Amount due

Up to the start date of your new licence £813.03 (Early payment rate)*

Up until one month after the start date of your new licence £903.37 (Full fee)

One month or more after the start date of your new licence £1,053.37 (Full fee plus late payment charge)**

*The early payment rate only applies if the correctly completed application (and any enclosures) is received by us on or before the licence start date. It does not apply if you pay by Direct Debit instalments.

** For applications received more than one month after the start date, an additional late payment charge of £150 is payable.

NB. A £7.50 charge will apply to all payments made by credit cards, but not debit cards.

In making your application you are confirming that you have read, understood and accept the licence terms and conditions. These are published online at www.canalrivertrust.org.uk/licensing or you can request a copy from customer services.

Yours sincerely

Boat licensing Team

PO Box 162 Leeds LS9 1AX E customer.services@canalrivertrust.org.uk T 0303 040 4040

Mon to Fri, 8am to 6pm www.canalrivertrust.org.uk/licensing

Canal River Trust Twitter Facebook

Canal & River Trust is a charitable company limited by guarantee registered in England & Wales with company number 7807276 and charity number 1146792 Registered office address First Floor North, Station House, 500 Elder Gate, Milton Keynes MK9 1BB.

Regards kris

The opening line in Para 4) of the C&RT letter states :-

"We would normally refuse to grant you a new licence. However, whilst boaters are getting used to this new approach, we are granting three-month licences to give those who barely move the chance to establish an acceptable cruising pattern"

I think that your initial response should be to request, by return, a written definition of 'an acceptable cruising pattern', which must include minimum figures for the frequency and distance to be covered, for boat movements within the specified time period. I would also ask them to confirm, in writing, that movement of the boat for no other purpose than to comply with the requirements of the 1995 Act [ S.17(3){c}(ii) ] would be regarded as part of 'an acceptable cruising pattern'.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Personally, I cannot believe the leniency shown by CRT in this case. As a road haulier, I'm governed by DVSA (formerly VOSA). One minor breach of my obligations would see me having my Operator's Licence revoked virtually immediately. Although I do feel sympathy for anybody in straitened circumstances, the simple fact is that whether it is a house on a mortgage, a car on HP, or anything else where one agrees to a contractual arrangement, if you don't honour your side of the arrangement, then you are slated to lose that thing.

I don't know where Kris is, and don't have time to search previous posts, but I'd be quite happy to give him a tow somewhere if I'm in his area.

• Greenie 1

A hypothetical question. If the 14 day law didn't exist and you could moor away from VM's for as long as you like (provided you pay your licence fee), would anyone here still object to what Kris has done?

it's not even in the equation what we think, CRT have made the rule's and that's what we abide by.

A hypothetical question. If the 14 day law didn't exist and you could moor away from VM's for as long as you like (provided you pay your licence fee), would anyone here still object to what Kris has done?

Then the popular areas would be nose to tail, CRT would lose all income from online moorings, marinas would start emptying, licence fees would go up,Tow paths would be inaccessible due to rubbish and sheds.

Dreamer

Well of course it won't happen because marinas would claim they would lose some business and jealous people would continue to whinge 'it's not fair because we have to pay for a mooring'.

I doubt much business would actually be lost though because few people would moor where CM'ers moor. As I keep saying you pay for what you get. Security, utilities, social clubs etc.

I personally believe the 14 day rule is daft. If it was abolished, we'd save all that money CRT are spending on enforcement. Mind you, we'd have nothing to talk about here...

Then the popular areas would be nose to tail, CRT would lose all income from online moorings, marinas would start emptying, licence fees would go up,Tow paths would be inaccessible due to rubbish and sheds.

I don't agree.