Hair Dye

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

Victorian? Blimey I'm not that old. I can remember well trundling off to the Swimming Pool with Dad and brother for a bath in the slipper baths. They put in the hot water and take the tap top away. Lovely big baths.

Martyn

Nor me, but I first encountered the expression at Glossop Road swimming baths in Sheffield, which was a decidedly Victorian looking edifice.*

Took the tap tops away? Bloody tight Northerners. That said, we saw exactly the same thing done with the water taps at the Locaboat hire base in Agen, S.W. France, a week or so ago.

*Edit: apparently built 1877 to 1879, so high Victorian. Now apparently a Wetherspoon's pub, an indication of Sheffield City Council's commitment to public health.

Edited by Athy

I think some of that is true. But they were surely called bath chairs because of their shape? They often had wicker bodywork which would not have held water very well.

Yes, using them to bath in was a joke. I had an aunt who was paralyzed from the waist down. She would come by train down from Liverpool to visit us and always travelled in the guards van in her wheel chair feeding the guard with toffees. She had her own wheel chair, but at stations like Lime st Liverpool, Euston and Liverpool st station London where I as a kid was taken to meet her with my mum. I noticed that a porter would for some strange reason always insist on transfering her from her own wheelchair to one of the stations huge ''bath chairs'' 'some BR company rule I expect, before the porter would wheel her to or from her train, while we trundled her own empty chair along behind. I remember the last time she visited us. When she left to return to Liverpool we got her to Euston doing all the wheelchair transfers mentioned and got her installed in her own wheelchair in the guard's van of a very long 22 coach train hauled by the Lizzie, 46208 Princess Helen Victoria. She was a lovely lady, hugely popular with everyone, especially with the porters whom she tipped well and the sweet toothed train guards because of her toffees. Hence, most of the guards on the LM ended up with rotten teeth.

Edited by bizzard

That sounds like a Victorian throwback - I fully expect them to be advertised as "Slipper baths".

Which one is it? And can you send a telegram from there?

It's in Newbold and I think has the 21st Century equivalent of telegrams, free WiFi.

Yes, using them to bath in was a joke. I had an aunt who was paralyzed from the waist down. She would come by train down from Liverpool to visit us and always travelled in the guards van in her wheel chair feeding the guard with toffees. She had her own wheel chair, but at stations like Lime st Liverpool, Euston and Liverpool st station London where I as a kid was taken to meet her with my mum. I noticed that a porter would for some strange reason always insist on transfering her from her own wheelchair to one of the stations huge ''bath chairs'' 'some BR company rule I expect, before the porter would wheel her to or from her train, while we trundled her own empty chair along behind. I remember the last time she visited us. When she left to return to Liverpool we got her to Euston doing all the wheelchair transfers mentioned and got her installed in her own wheelchair in the guard's van of a very long 22 coach train hauled by the Lizzie, 46208 Princess Helen Victoria. She was a lovely lady, hugely popular with everyone, especially with the porters whom she tipped well and the sweet toothed train guards because of her toffees. Hence, most of the guards on the LM ended up with rotten teeth.

But people on here don't know you joke as most of your posts are so seriouscheers.gif

Merely moor up just off the services..sit on boat to wait then walk back to services...having legs helps..worked well so far!

Cheers

Gareth

Dont suggest that to my wife, she always dyes her hair while topless to save getting dye on her clothes

Phil

Dont suggest that to my wife, she always dyes her hair while topless to save getting dye on her clothes

Phil

Another post that needs this.....

worthlesswithoutpics.gif

Edited by MJG

I've dyed my hair whilst on the boat ... once ... it took aaaaages to clear up the mess afterwards - managed to get dye stain on everything. Thinking about it maybe the decision to make a cuppa whilst doing the waiting bit didn't help blush.png . Definitely recommend using friend's or relatives bathroom.

LCx

I've dyed my hair whilst on the boat ... once ... it took aaaaages to clear up the mess afterwards - managed to get dye stain on everything. Thinking about it maybe the decision to make a cuppa whilst doing the waiting bit didn't help blush.png . Definitely recommend using friend's or relatives bathroom.

LCx

I managed to turn my old bathroom door a rather lovely shade of purple once, it also dripped on the floor, the dog stood in the drip and we had a purple paw print in random places all over the hallway carpet (the dye took very well on my lab's rather blonde paws...)

I seem to recall when this has come up before the thoughts seemed to yes in theory there is harmful stuff contained within hair dye but given the extent of dilution when it enters the canal means they are pretty well mitigated.

Just consider how much other harmful stuff goes in such as cleaning products, I suppose it ultimately depends on how environmentally conscious you aspire to be.

I think that's the point, if we consider how much other harmful stuff goes in then adding to it just makes things worse and shouldn't be used as a justification.

In pollution management they say "the solution to pollution is not dilution".

Edited by blackrose

I think that's the point, if we consider how much other harmful stuff goes in then adding to it just makes things worse and shouldn't be used as a justification.

In pollution management they say "the solution to pollution is not dilution".

Also, the cleaning products etc that we use at least I try to go for environmentally friendly stuff - in fact, I think it all is. (I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes, but I hope some)

Also, the cleaning products etc that we use at least I try to go for environmentally friendly stuff - in fact, I think it all is. (I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes, but I hope some)

I am not sure how much more environmentally friendly these products are because you can only go by what the manufacturers tell you.

Talking to the organisation that issue the Blue/green awards to hire companies on the Broads didn't know, but the hire companies have to use and supply these cleaning products to get the award. You know the ones with Eco on the labels.

I managed to turn my old bathroom door a rather lovely shade of purple once, it also dripped on the floor, the dog stood in the drip and we had a purple paw print in random places all over the hallway carpet (the dye took very well on my lab's rather blonde paws...)

Sounds like full-spec chaos, I like it!

I defy you to find a woman who dyes her own hair wearing more than a bra on the top half. They're either very tidy, or very messy.

Similarly, few blokes will have a shave after putting on their shirt, and that doesnt even stain.

Daniel

SNIP--Thinking about it maybe the decision to make a cuppa whilst doing the waiting bit didn't help blush.png SNIP --

LCx

Speaking of Mess

Well be thankful you chose to make a cuppa whilst waiting, and not Change a Douvet Cover !

OMG I still remember The Pain, The Mess, The

Fallout, it's what made me go grey,

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2