Three cheers for Dan and the Team

Featured Posts

Just want to say thanks to Dan and the Team for all your efforts in keeping the good ship CWDF afloat. I can only imagine just how much time and gnashing of teeth in frustration has gone on behind the scenes over the past few days, but please there is no need to apologise - It is still a great forum that has no adverts and I get to use it for free - long may it remain so! smile.png

LCx

PS - do we all really have to get naked as per the current pinned announcement??? blink.png

• Greenie 3

It's weird, it doesn't seem to be the same for everyone.......I don't have the problem of an error message when I go to "view new content" that works fine for me.....I get that if I go to "view last post" on that menu. I have to go to "preview this post" and then select view unread to get to the thread......all very confusing to someone with limited intellect !!! wacko.png

edit to insert a missing "with"

Edited by John V

Yeah, full marks to the team for keeping the show more or less on the road. It's been frustrating but does make you realise how much you value the site, for me, anyway.

If the system is being pushed to its limits, it's not surprising we're seeing weird effects. I'm currently getting VNC ok, but slow loading of the actual topic and an invariable fatal error on the RP thread until I reload it. Could sort that by clearing the cache, probably, but as we've said before, on an iPad that means losing all the saved passwords too, a right PITA.

For me, VNC is taking just a couple of seconds whereas viewing an actual thread seems to be very slow, not sure why.

Yes that is the same for me, view new content is quick, but getting into a thread is slow, presumably there is still an issue with database performance.

I would also like to say thanks to the team for the time that they are giving on this, I fully appreciate the amount of time it takes.

I just get " sorry no new content found". So I'm missing out on a lot. Apparently something to do with my Apple Air 2.

I am guessing you are using Safari the default iOS browser. Try Chrome instead.

.... Could sort that by clearing the cache, probably, but as we've said before, on an iPad that means losing all the saved passwords too, a right PITA.

Actually it doesn't really. When you clear the cache you lose the cookies however iPad Safari has a feature called "autofill password" that appears just above the keypad when you are in a logon field. You click that and it auto-fills in the user and password fields, then when you press "go" a new cookie is generated. So yes you do have to visit the login screen, but you don't actually have to type anything in.

Edited by nicknorman

Another one who would like to say thanks to Dan and the team for all the time they've put in to get the site fixed. Let's not forget these are people with full time jobs and lives outside the forum.

Another one who would like to say thanks to Dan and the team for all the time they've put in to get the site fixed. Let's not forget these are people with full time jobs and lives outside the forum.

Actually it doesn't really. When you clear the cache you lose the cookies however iPad Safari has a feature called "autofill password" that appears just above the keypad when you are in a logon field. You click that and it auto-fills in the user and password fields, then when you press "go" a new cookie is generated. So yes you do have to visit the login screen, but you don't actually have to type anything in.

You're quite right, of course, but Safari doesn't always detect that it's a password field and you have to rely on the cookie to keep you logged in.

Thanks..................errm...............How???????.

If you go to the App Store using the App Store app on your iPad and search for 'chrome' you will find it. Simply install it from there and give it a try.

I now use chrome on both my iPhone and iPad too and the PC version on my PC. If you have a google account and you log in you can sync all your bookmarks across all your devices.

Having just had a laptop failure, lots of BSOD but never the same one twice and nearly throwing it in the cut.

I wish to thank those that have stuck with it and (at the moment) solved the problem.

If you go to the App Store using the App Store app on your iPad and search for 'chrome' you will find it. Simply install it from there and give it a try.

I now use chrome on both my iPhone and iPad too and the PC version on my PC. If you have a google account and you log in you can sync all your bookmarks across all your devices.

Nope!

I already have Chrome installed. Just been to "App Store", opened Chrome which took me back to this page on Canalworld, tried VNC And still no go!

and I'll say it again for good measure

Another one who would like to say thanks to Dan and the team for all the time they've put in to get the site fixed, Let's not forget these are people with full time jobs and lives outside the forum.

Yeah, full marks to the team for keeping the show more or less on the road. It's been frustrating but does make you realise how much you value the site, for me, anyway.

If the system is being pushed to its limits, it's not surprising we're seeing weird effects. I'm currently getting VNC ok, but slow loading of the actual topic and an invariable fatal error on the RP thread until I reload it. Could sort that by clearing the cache, probably, but as we've said before, on an iPad that means losing all the saved passwords too, a right PITA.

I presume you mean Safari? Run an optional second browser, pending the Firefox release, try opera.

I am guessing you are using Safari the default iOS browser. Try Chrome instead.

Or Opera less bloated

I presume you mean Safari? Run an optional second browser, pending the Firefox release, try opera.

Or Opera less bloated

Tried it didn't like it.