Mooring Ropes

chunkyj

Featured Posts

Hi guys, thanks. smile.png

Richard, it seems worth the extra few quid to me that they are ready made / spliced smile.png

Fair enough. You only get eye splices on one end, heat sealed the other. I thought the extra 13 metres might be attractive

Not to me though, I don't like that flimsy black stuff - that's a personal choice mind

Richard

2 x 10 metres mooring + 12m centre made 32 metres when I were a lad wink.png

It does indeed.

So, you've got a front and rear line nearly as long as your boat, and a centre line that is easily long enough to get into your prop.

You could manage with a pair of longer lines, one each end. The front line would run along the roof to the rear

On the other hand, just buying three ready made lines is a simple option. You could always put the longer line onto the front, not the centre

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Proper centerlines will reach the prop. Never had and issue yet.

The op's ebay link looks fine to me, doesn't say what they are made from, but I presume they are polyester, which is fine and what we have always used, although I might get polyprop next time and try that.

Daniel

Proper centerlines will reach the prop. Never had and issue yet.

The op's ebay link looks fine to me, doesn't say what they are made from, but I presume they are polyester, which is fine and what we have always used, although I might get polyprop next time and try that.

Daniel

I've had polyprop rope in the past but found it weakened and degraded in sunlight, don't trust the stuff, Hempex for me everytime

Phil

I've had polyprop rope in the past but found it weakened and degraded in sunlight, don't trust the stuff, Hempex for me everytime

Phil

Hempex/polyhemp IS polypropylene....

I am sure there are low grade polyprops that dont have much (any) uv stabilisers, as well as a the gastly course blue stuff, but while I should have been clearer, I am not talking about that.

What you mean by 'only floating ropes'?

Our hempoline ropes float

Richard

Ropes that don't sink. Some of ours sunk like a stone when in water - now replaced - all ropes float on surface if dropped by accident.
Aka,polypropylene ropes.

Daniel

Hempex/polyhemp IS polypropylene....

Daniel

As is Baler twine - and that stuff lasts forever

I came across a piece of orange rope plied up from baler twine the other day. I didn't like it

Richard

Whatever feels more comfortable in your hands.

Neil

And generally a thicker line feels more comfortable in the hand, especially when you need to pull on it to bring the boat in.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

The ready eye-spliced rope rope is a good option if you don't want to splice it yourself. I make my eye splices a tight fit over the stern dollies and tee stud. ideally, have a line attached to each dolly rather than have to swap it over.

Also ideally, I would have soft handling lines for cruising (stored inboard when on a permanent mooring) and more durable permanent lines left on the bank/pontoon ready to be picked up with the boat-hook.

14mm Hempex is adequate and nice to handle. It is soft and UV stabilised but subject to insect (earwig?) attack. Larger diameter lines that I inherited are stiff and difficult to coil, handle and throw.

I have a very long centre line in a much smaller diameter (10mm?) - for temporary mooring at a lock or bridge landing I can take a turn through a ring/around a bollard take the line back to a ring/bollard near the stern and tie off to a stern dolly. 10mm is much easier to handle in a long length but I hope I never need it to stop the boat. Many boats have two centre lines which avoids the need to learn to 'whip' it over chimneys, aerials etc. from one side to the other.

Alan

And generally a thicker line feels more comfortable in the hand, especially when you need to pull on it to bring the boat in.

I agree, I'd always go for the thicker rope for this very reason. It's also easier to throw if you want to lasso a bollard.

all this talk of mooring lines recently is making me nervous..

I'm using 10mm or 12mm braid on braid (normally used as climbing rope) because I had a reel of it spare.

I know in the past I have used the same rope to pull fully loaded (probably overloaded) transits out of ditches, to my mind if a rope can withstand a 3.9 v8 rangerover in low ratio being floored it should be able to handle mooring loads.

all this talk of mooring lines recently is making me nervous..

I'm using 10mm or 12mm braid on braid (normally used as climbing rope) because I had a reel of it spare.

I know in the past I have used the same rope to pull fully loaded (probably overloaded) transits out of ditches, to my mind if a rope can withstand a 3.9 v8 rangerover in low ratio being floored it should be able to handle mooring loads.

Good point. I don't think strength is really what people are discussing, for the reason you say. A snapping rope or failing T Stud or dollyis always going to be pretty risky for people in the vicinity. It is ease of handling, ability to chuck over a bollard, tendency to tie itself in knots, ability to trap fingers. I also agree with the earlier point about using old ropes when the boat is moored up, putting the nice ones inside.