Paddington Arm... views please

HremmJo

Featured Posts

Hi all

New to this site, although not to boating. Having spent about a decade on the K&A now thinking about coming closer in to London to reduce the 4-5 hour daily commute. Not really keen on going too far into London 'proper' but was looking to hear from anyone who has spent time around the Paddington Arm of the GU. (Yes I did search but couldn't find what I was looking for). Any and all views welcome thanks

Hi all

New to this site, although not to boating. Having spent about a decade on the K&A now thinking about coming closer in to London to reduce the 4-5 hour daily commute. Not really keen on going too far into London 'proper' but was looking to hear from anyone who has spent time around the Paddington Arm of the GU. (Yes I did search but couldn't find what I was looking for). Any and all views welcome thanks

You might also want to join the London Boaters Facebook page if you haven''t already.

It's more London centric than this forum.

ed. to add linky

https://www.facebook.com/groups/73933281285/?fref=ts

Edited by MJG

There are no locks until you get to Camden from Cowley , you can also enjoy the Slough Arm on the same level.

Enforcement is being stepped up by several pegs.

There are lots of boats coming back onto Whiltons books from London.

• Greenie 1

There are no locks until you get to Camden from Cowley , you can also enjoy the Slough Arm on the same level.

Enforcement is being stepped up by several pegs.

There are lots of boats coming back onto Whiltons books from London.

Sounds as if the bubble has finally burst??

Is there anything in particular you want to know about the Paddington Arm? There are lots of people here who live or have lived on and around that stretch. Do go ahead and ask any questions you have :)

you can also enjoy the Slough Arm on the same level.

Sometimes, understated humour is the funniest. A greeno for that.

Incidentally, I wrote a post like this (and awarded the greeno) a couple of hours ago; the greeno is still there but my post has vanished. I can't think that it's controversial, perhaps I just forgot to press the "post" button.

When I used to cruise about up there I stopped overnight on the off side, either on old wharves, or Alperton golf course, ect. Kensal green, and Paddington basin were the only moorings I used.

But I like peace full rural moorings, sleeping with the doors open, listening to owls hooting, rather than traffic noise, dog eggs, care in the community trying to get in through the windows, and filthy water with dead things floating in it.

• Greenie 1

We are slowly CCing our way towards Paddington. We are at Kensal Green ATM. No problems with finding 7 or 14 day moorings but water points and Elsan are few ad far between. I had a lengthy and fruitless search hunting for the water point at Alperton wwhich is marked in our old and newer versions of Nicholsons and in the Pearson guide.

N

Thanks guys, just wanted to get a feel for the place, fully expecting a culture shock after 10 years of rural tranquillity

I used to be based near Bedwyn (Not on a boat), now have a boat and residential mooring a few hundred yards from Bulls bridge (end of the arm). It is very different. Change can be good though, especially if you are ditching such a big commute.

Not sure whether you wanted a mooring or were planning to shuffle? This ended today (No bidders so will be up again soon): https://www.crtmoorings.com/vacancy/vacancy_details.php?id=7665. I've been based here for a bit over a year. did intend it to be temporary until I found something nicer but its actually not too bad - facilities are handy. Bit of a trek to the nearest decent pub though :(

When we go into London it's really just for a visit, in and out. Greenford is fine, water point there. Perivale pleasant but not near anything much. It's at the end of the central line though. Kensal is very nice but again, no water. I suspect if there was a water point here then no one would move and it would be packed out. Then little Venice for a touch of the high life before heading back out again, either east to the Lea or back west. I wouldn't really stop in alperton or bulls bridge end except for an overnight. Nothing wrong with them but it's very industrial.

Hello,

We live on the GU Paddington Arm and love it, whilst litter can be an issue, things are looking OK at the moment. There are some really nice moorings, especially just passed Willow tree next to the park. The Hillingdon trail is a really green walk.

It's getting busier out this way, lots of boats are moving west from east as CRT crack down. In my opinion, the ones that only get as far as Greenford will be next on the list, but to be fair, having more boats about is nice and brings about an element of safety.

In terms of safety, London is London, you'll either get robbed or not. I have never seen anything that has made me concerned about where we live and I have a very new baby.

We are near southall and love the town, it's pretty busy and incredibly diverse, the food is great and the restaurants have a really family focus. In amongst the Indian shops are all the usual high street chains as well.

I love it here and plan on sticking around to bring up our boy here.

PM me if you want to ask specifics.

Best

Rob

We are just leaving Little Venice after a week on the bookable Rembrandt Gardens mooring. We have been up to Hertford and Bishops Stortford. We have found that it is true: London is crowded. Boaters have moved west as well as east. Moored boats from Mitre Bridge. Only space to moor is at the Greenford water tap. Not seen a mooring spot in LV, Islington, Camden. Possible if you are lucky to moor at Victoria Park but unlikely. In our experience it is only possible to plan to moor above or below Picketts Lock. We did squeeze in on the high bank below Tottenham Lock. May get in around Stonebridge Lock and Ponders End. I have found it quite stressful. Already at 8am been asked how long will be on LV water point!

• 2 weeks later...

Spent 6 days in Paddington Basin 7 day moorings last week and left on Sunday, leaving the vast majority of boats that were there when we arrived still moored including at least three boats that have been padlocked up and nobody ever onboard.

Camden Visitor mooring are full with long term moorers, and by the state of the boats have not moved for months, but there was a couple or three vacant spots for a decent sized boat at Victoria Park. Duckets had spare moorings available near the locks, but the next moorings available on the Lee were near the Beam Engine at Tottenham Hale!

Now up the Lee and mooring everywhere, except but near shops and pubs!

Nipper

Edited by nipper

Spent 6 days in Paddington Basin 7 day moorings last week and left on Sunday, leaving the vast majority of boats that were there when we arrived still moored including at least three boats that have been padlocked up and nobody ever onboard.

Camden Visitor mooring are full with long term moorers, and by the state of the boats have not moved for months, but there was a couple or three vacant spots for a decent sized boat at Victoria Park. Duckets had spare moorings available near the locks, but the next moorings available on the Lee were near the Beam Engine at Tottenham Hale!

Now up the Lee and mooring everywhere, except but near shops and pubs!

Nipper

Isn't it funny how different people see the same thing differently.

We've been moored up on Duckets cut (just past the 3rd lock, beside Victoria Park) for the last 6 days and have come down to Islington today. We've just come through the tunnel and have a lovely mooring again on rings.

On the way down I counted at least 9 decent moorings that we could have easily moored our 57' widebeam & no we don't have working bow thrusters to assist getting into tight spots.

There was only 1 boat moored on Paddington Basin VM when we passed about an hour ago.

Ah! my mistake! not Victoria park, I meant the park just before old ford lock, the last lock before the Duckets turn. Bonner Hall??

Although there were a couple of free spaces at Victoria Park too!

Yes, there would be a lot less boats in Paddington Basin this week because Cart are having to move boats for the Dragon Boat Racing!

Nipper

• Greenie 1

Ah! my mistake! not Victoria park, I meant the park just before old ford lock, the last lock before the Duckets turn. Bonner Hall??

No you are not mistaken, that is Victoria Park, I live on Duckets, not on a boat but my garden is on the cut, often have boaters passing heaters for service over my raillings, no rest for the wicked.cool.png

Edited by NMEA

Isn't it funny how different people see the same thing differently.

We've been moored up on Duckets cut (just past the 3rd lock, beside Victoria Park) for the last 6 days and have come down to Islington today. We've just come through the tunnel and have a lovely mooring again on rings.

On the way down I counted at least 9 decent moorings that we could have easily moored our 57' widebeam & no we don't have working bow thrusters to assist getting into tight spots.

There was only 1 boat moored on Paddington Basin VM when we passed about an hour ago.

Although there were a couple of free spaces at Victoria Park too!

Yes, there would be a lot less boats in Paddington Basin this week because Cart are having to move boats for the Dragon Boat Racing!

Nipper

Nope not your mistake, twas mine. I got my "basins" mixed up. It wasn't Paddington basin we only seen 1 boat moored it was City Road Basin

Nope not your mistake, twas mine. I got my "basins" mixed up. It wasn't Paddington basin we only seen 1 boat moored it was City Road Basin

City road basin is leased out to, I believe, Islington boat club and mooring in it is not permitted.

Tim

City road basin is leased out to, I believe, Islington boat club and mooring in it is not permitted.

Tim

But there is a set of bollards on right next too what looks like a small park that would make great transit Moorings. Do the boat club actually use these?