Stoke Bruerne 13th June

Boat22

Featured Posts

New Moon Morris are performing at the boat festival on the Saturday, the side are a mix of boaters, dancers and musicians, I anticipate it will be a great day and evening, and really looking forward to our first outing at a boating event. See some of you there.

• 2 weeks later...

New Moon Morris are performing at the boat festival on the Saturday, the side are a mix of boaters, dancers and musicians, I anticipate it will be a great day and evening, and really looking forward to our first outing at a boating event. See some of you there.

We have a slightly challenging target that the Stoke Bruerne Family Festival will be the first time that we get our two 1936 narrow boats "Flamingo" and "Sickle" together. ("Sickle" has to be there, as it is actively taking part - "Flamingo" is the challenge!).

This popular two day event (13th & 14th June) is usually great fun, being centred around the canal, but being more than just boats. Pictures from last year here.

And as "Dreckley" says, you can see her, plus various members of Familly Fincher performing in New Moon Morris, (though not me, fortunately, so you are all spared that idea!).

I knew that really Alan, Sickle is just a bit distinctive.

It's just that over the years so many people have said "ooh you've got a longboat", so was wondering what the correct term for one dressed up as a Viking longboat is? :)

I knew that really Alan, Sickle is just a bit distinctive.

It's just that over the years so many people have said "ooh you've got a longboat", so was wondering what the correct term for one dressed up as a Viking longboat is? smile.png

I don't think the "Sickle" enactment was really ever going to be an accurate depiction of the original Viking boats - they didn't have big noisy 3 cylinder air cooled Lister diesels for a start.

That said, at least some of our travelling Vikings took the re-enactment quite seriously. The "Viking Leader" told us pretty accurately why the helmets of the type he was wearing only saw a short period of use before being changed to a different design. And his chain mail really was very heavy chain mail, not to we worn by the feint-hearted. (This was not mentioned on the inevitable risk assessment that they had to complete, apparently - you can't easily climb out of the cut wearing real chain mail!)

• 2 weeks later...

Well we have achieved our target, and both our boats "Sickle" and "Flamingo" are now at Stoke Bruerne for this weekend's Family Festival.

There is a good attendance of historic boats here. From memory, (though I'm sure I'll forget some)

Bletchley
Corona

Cyprus

Flamingo

Joseph

Jubilee
Moon

Owl
Purton
Sculptor

Sickle

Southern Cross

Victoria

Sickle will be taking part in this year's family display, and Cath and David, plus several other boater friends will be performing as New Moon Morris. Odin the dog will be keeping us all in good order, (or at least trying too!).

I just hope today's weather forecast is being unduly pessimistic....................

Edited by alan_fincher

A big blue woolwich looking boat went throughNorton Junction yesterday. No name, but it looked newly painted.

Maybe that's there now. No idea which one.

I, of course, nodded towards the steerer.

Martyn

A big blue woolwich looking boat went throughNorton Junction yesterday. No name, but it looked newly painted.

Martyn

Bletchley I think!!

Darren

Well we have achieved our target, and both our boats "Sickle" and "Flamingo" are now at Stoke Bruerne for this weekend's Family Festival.

There is a good attendance of historic boats here. From memory, (though I'm sure I'll forget some)

Bletchley

Corona

Cyprus

Flamingo

Joseph

Jubilee

Moon

Owl

Purton

Sculptor

Sickle

Southern Cross

Victoria

Sickle will be taking part in this year's family display, and Cath and David, plus several other boater friends will be performing as New Moon Morris. Odin the dog will be keeping us all in good order, (or at least trying too!).

I just hope today's weather forecast is being unduly pessimistic....................

Renfrew

Aldgate

Alsager

Yes Bletchley is the 'un-named' big Woolwich.

Edited by Leo No2

A bit damp today, which meant not too many people (Leo No2 looking for them) but plenty of boats ...

Picture4_zps3h61dk8n.jpg

and despite the rain, the shiny bits on OWL shone brightly -

Picture3_zpsikt9i7g3.png

.. but while the Finchers danced ...

Picture5_zpsyynmqj1o.jpg

The Vikings were making ready to sail to Valhalla aboard Sickle (leastways they seemed convinced that's what lies beyond the tunnel portal) ...

Picture1_zpsahemzuy3.jpg

(I liked the craft tent - bought earrings that I shouldn't blush.png )

LCx

Edited by Lady Cassandra

Martyn

Bletchley, I'm guessing. It got its signwriting just one day after this event ended, near where we moor Flamingo.

For anybody interested, some photostreams of the event here.....

"ShepherdMoon's" Stream

"Towcester News'" Stream

Kathryn Dodington's Stream

Cath with New Moon morris [Photo ShepherdMoon]

https://flic.kr/p/urMBuo

Us as Vikings [Photo ShepherdMoon]

https://flic.kr/p/uJCTFt

Sickle as Viking Boat [Photo: James Rudd]

https://flic.kr/p/uDWZ2H

More Vikings [Photo: James Rudd]

https://flic.kr/p/tGThB2

Flamingo at her first event in our ownership [Photo: Kathryn Dodington]