My first proper boating under C&RT stewardship

zenataomm

Featured Posts

With ANPR installed in all if not most police cars I can see how the car disc going will be managed but getting rid of them on the cut seems to open the door to opportunists.

That is why CRT would like us to display our registration number, ideally with their preferred plates. Further details are then available; name, length, colour etc.

So what do CRT do about boats failing to display neither name, licence nor registration number?

(Edit to correct amazingly clumsy grammar!)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I rely on paper licence to remind me when its due for renewal....life gets more n more complicated when memory gets worse.

Totaly agree I hate all this no licence crap. Same with the cars used to just glimps in window and think ahh need to tax that next month now I havnt a clue which bloomin car needs taxing next or when till I get the bit of paper if I can be bothered with my post.

Tim

So what do CRT do about boats failing to display neither name, licence nor registration number?

They send you a snotty letter.

Now I must get round to putting mine on the boat, maybe when I'm finished overstaying

Now I must get round to putting mine on the boat, maybe when I'm finished overstaying

Where and to whom would they send the letter?

Tim

• Greenie 1

With no name, licence or number on your batteau I think you'll find you can overstay as long as you like!

With no name, licence or number on your batteau I think you'll find you can overstay as long as you like!

If only that were true.

Enforcement is effective to say the least in my recent somewhat unpleasant but fair experience

You're very funny. You have ambitions to become outrageously indignant about an issue you have yourself created. It still seems to me it is a requirement to display a valid licence, and at no point has anybody (except you) suggested anything to do with anyone going around peering into windows.

It might be relevant to point out that those who attempt to make up for their own social inadequacies by maliciously attacking unknown strangers on a forum anonymously tend to hide behind a lack of personal information about themselves in their profiles. The one thing they wouldn't cope with is being identified.

For example: -

• Group Members
  • Active Posts 1,169
  • Profile Views 3,135
  • Member Title Long Standing Member
  • Age Age Unknown
  • Birthday Birthday Unknown
Another indicator could be how many canal/boat related posts they actually start outside of the Virtual Pub instead of leaping into threads created by other people for no other reason than to feed their own malicious ego.
Sadly, although they do exist on all forums, this one does have a few resident trolls.

Nice one Zen :)

• Greenie 1

please try playing the post and not the person.....a general request for all....keep the nastiness to a minimum.

Have you removed some posts?

I can't see any 'nastiness'.

smiley_offtopic.gif

<pedant alert>

Shirley that should be "failing to display either name, licence or registration number,"

or "displaying neither name, licence nor registration number."

judge.gificecream.gif

smiley_offtopic.gif

<pedant alert>

Shirley that should be "failing to display either name, licence or registration number,"

judge.gificecream.gif

Simply remove the "either" (or "neither"), replace it by "their" and it makes perfect sense. I think (though am not totally sure at this time of the morning) that either and neither can refer to only two things, not more than two - as is the case with "alternative" for example.

Edited by Athy

smiley_offtopic.gif

<pedant alert>

judge.gificecream.gif

Thanks for that, I think you're right. I have to say I still wasn't entirely happy with wot I rote but you've put your finger on it!

Simply remove the "either" (or "neither"), replace it by "their" and it makes perfect sense. I think (though am not totally sure at this time of the morning) that either and neither can refer to only two things, not more than two - as is the case with "alternative" for example.

I get your point but this reminds me of the arguable view that 'none' is necessarily singular.

So do we agree I should have written:

"So what do CRT do about boats failing to display their name, licence AND registration number?"

(Or should it have been 'license'?! icecream.gif )

MtB

It still seems to me it is a requirement to display a valid licence,

But CRT have recently stated clearly that it is not, and a number of people checked that with them, and got a consistent answer.

Clearly it is confusing in the cases where a paper licence gets printed, if it says on it that it must be displayed, but that seems to be a hangover from the past.

The simple fact is CRT have said there is no longer a requirement to display, so getting upset about any boat that now doesn't have them displayed is pretty pointless.

Edited by alan_fincher

Thinking back to my GCE days now. The word "licence" is a noun, in this case meaning the licence that can or need not be displayed.

The word "license" is a verb, meaning in this case the action of obtaining a licence. Therefore it is correct to say that a boat is licensed if it is displaying a correct licence - it cannot be "unlicenced" so if no licence exists it will be "unlicensed" (as a matter of interest here my spell checker has underlined as incorrect "unlicenced" but seems happy with "unlicensed")

Before anyone gets upset over this, I understand that in America they spell licence as license.

Dave

• Greenie 1

I expect CRT have decided that they no longer require licences to be displayed because of the time it must have taken answering endless phone queries about whether a boat which was not displaying its licence was licences or not.

Their licence checker can be used by those curious enough to find out only if they have access to the internet.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/licensing/boat-check

Personally I think it is a good thing as hopefully it will allow more funds to be used for maintenance of the infrastructure.

One wonders how one will 'get on' at manned locks (example on the Trent) where the notice states - "No Licence - No Passage" and the lock keeper takes a note of the expiry date of your licence, index number and destination.

They appear to be lacking a "Tablet" to check the information, so, have they now been instructed to ignore the licence 'display' requirements ?

But CRT have recently stated clearly that it is not, and a number of people checked that with them, and got a consistent answer.

Clearly it is confusing in the cases where a paper licence gets printed, if it says on it that it must be displayed, but that seems to be a hangover from the past.

The simple fact is CRT have said there is no longer a requirement to display, so getting upset about any boat that now doesn't have them displayed is pretty pointless.

I totally agree with you Alan.

When I started this thread it was on the basis that because my licence states I must display on both sides of my boat that the case was exactly that.

If this isn't the case then I think they have totally shot them selves in the foot. They don't have control of the issuing of the registration plates unlike DVLA.

All the scrotes need to do is make a note of the registration number of another boat, remove their own and paint on the cloned number.

One wonders how one will 'get on' at manned locks (example on the Trent) where the notice states - "No Licence - No Passage" and the lock keeper takes a note of the expiry date of your licence, index number and destination.

They appear to be lacking a "Tablet" to check the information, so, have they now been instructed to ignore the licence 'display' requirements ?

Most of the lockies don't question it anyway. In their words, they don't get paid enough to be risking confrontation.

All the scrotes need to do is make a note of the registration number of another boat, remove their own and paint on the cloned number.

The licence "disk" doesn't contain any security or anti forgery features so did nothing to prevent this anyway...

This must surely depend on what data the checkers then see displayed on their tablet if they enter a particular index number.

Nobody deems to be able to agree about how much, or how little, the checker gets to find out about the boat that CRT thinks matches that index number.

But if it does tell them it is a 62 foot Colecraft built in 2002, and it actually looks like a 36 foot Springer built in the 1970s, then pinching someone else's number may not get you far.

Also if it, (for example) shows that the index number in question is consistently recorded on the Calder & Hebble, (including maybe very recently?), but this sighting is on the Kennet and Avon it may also arouse further suspicions!

The licence "disk" doesn't contain any security or anti forgery features so did nothing to prevent this anyway...

This must surely depend on what data the checkers then see displayed on their tablet if they enter a particular index number.

Nobody deems to be able to agree about how much, or how little, the checker gets to find out about the boat that CRT thinks matches that index number.

But if it does tell them it is a 62 foot Colecraft built in 2002, and it actually looks like a 36 foot Springer built in the 1970s, then pinching someone else's number may not get you far.

Also if it, (for example) shows that the index number in question is consistently recorded on the Calder & Hebble, (including maybe very recently?), but this sighting is on the Kennet and Avon it may also arouse further suspicions!

Agree with Alan, cloning an index number is going to be found out sooner or later (I imagine sooner), and would immediately attract the attention of enforcement. Once you'd been unable to prove that its a genuine number (which will be very easy) I imagine they'd throw the book at you.