New Content VERY slow?

Featured Posts

For a while now I've been experiencing the 'new content' button taking ages to load. Has anybody else noticed this?

I mainly use the forum on the mobile skin on a smartphone.

This was discussed in a thread a couple of weeks ago.

Yes it is and I think it's actually getting worse. it's the same on all of my devices.

On the other hand it is fine for me, on PC / laptop and Android devices.

I am using it quite a lot (with filters to exclude various forums) as the mail notifications are not working for me at present - see other threads including the advert for a technical geek.

On the other hand it is fine for me, on PC / laptop and Android devices.

I am using it quite a lot (with filters to exclude various forums) as the mail notifications are not working for me at present - see other threads including the advert for a technical geek.

Yes strangely some people (as ever) find there is no problem with something that other members are having problems with (ref the Copy watermate key thread),

I have no idea why that should be with this issue either, hence I haven't submitted my CV.

Edited by MJG

Absolutely.

It is bloody awful for me - whole raft of devices, and both on a fast home Broadband, but also on 3G.

It is the only bit that is painfully slow - everything else is fine, and I don't have similar issues elsewhere on the Internet.

There was a suggestion it is even worse the first time you do "view new content", but improves somewhat thereafter. I've not taken detailed timings, but there is some evidence to support this.

EDIT:

Further thought - when we say it is OK for some, and not others, arewe actually comparing like with like though?

There are multiple options on view new content such as.....

Content I have not read
New since my last visit

Past 24 hours
Past week
Past 2 weeks
Past month
Past 6 months
Past year

Perhaps some take far longer than others, due to the amount of checking the software needs to do.

I can't help feeling that either a poor SQL query, or lack of indexes in a database may be the root of poor performance in certain circumstances.

Edited by alan_fincher

CWF new content has been painfully slow for months, but now often loading new post or edited an existing post can take ages. I think Daniel is aware iof the problem, but does not have the time to work on it, which is why he is apealing for soeme trchnical assistance. Not something I can help with, it doesn't run on paraffin or clockwork!!

Edited by David Schweizer

I too get variable performance, but usually put that down to the 3 mobile connection, which is a bit marginal and weather sensitive here in Mercia. Most of the time it's fine, though, using the full fat interface on an iPad tethered to a smartphone. I load "New since my last visit" in around five secs at best.

I find it normally ok, but sometime, maybe more noticeable on the phone, very slow indeed.

It is one of several key issues that need looking in to and I simply do not have time, which is why I am trying hard to recruit someone to look into it.

Daniel

• 3 weeks later...

The 'new content' button has disappeared from my screen!

Mine too!

In fact so has the word 'Post' from the Post button!

i had same issue- but all buttons now present and correct and new content seems to be faster too!

I've been losing the "New Content" button from my laptop (Home Broadband), also the "sign out" one too.

Should be back now, let me know if there's any further issues though.

Edited by Paul C

Should be back now, let me know if there's any further issues though.

Thanks again Paul.

As an aside however, I have just had a 15-20 second wait after hitting 'new content' which is the longest I have had for a while, on the parents desktop, on a wired broadband connection.

And often have issues with 5-10 second waits on my phone, if normally only 1-3seconds max on the desktop at home.

Daniel