Section 8 boat auctions

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

Does anyone know what happens to boats that get confiscated and then sold?

Is there a place they are all taken to, or do they keep them locally where they get removed?

I understand there is a historic boat that may soon need saving near us, and I agree with many people here that if it is historic then it needs to be saved at any cost.

With Historic boats, it's not usually the purchase price but the renovation costs that kill deals. Vendors ask silly money knowing that there is a bill for about £80K for full renovation. Sadly most historic boats are effectively a small house needing a total rebuild, add to that the lack of available and suitable timber (and it's price).

With Historic boats, it's not usually the purchase price but the renovation costs that kill deals. Vendors ask silly money knowing that there is a bill for about £80K for full renovation. Sadly most historic boats are effectively a small house needing a total rebuild, add to that the lack of available and suitable timber (and it's price).

As Jem Bates once explained to me, historic boats tend to get bought by enthusiasts who bust the bank spending on the boat then they run out and are forced to sell it. The next buyer does the same, and so on it goes. So by a series of steps a knackered old boat gets insane amounts of money spent on it by a series of idiots.

I am one of those idiots, doing my bit.

MtB

Doomed to stay on the market rotting away indefinitely I suspect. If I bought it I'd feel duty bound to just give it back to PearlyGeoff!! But I think history might just repeat itself given his posts on here.

Although if you want a real wooden boat restoration project there's this:

http://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=409799

Past redemption I reckon. But then the owner of HESPERUS (dunno his name) seems to be well on course to bring it back from the grave. Lots of good work being done there.

Doomed to stay on the market rotting away indefinitely I suspect. If I bought it I'd feel duty bound to just give it back to PearlyGeoff!! But I think history might just repeat itself given his posts on here.

Past redemption I reckon. But then the owner of HESPERUS (dunno his name) seems to be well on course to bring it back from the grave. Lots of good work being done there.

Is she still at Richard's slipway?

Is she still at Richard's slipway?

Yes, and will be for at least the rest of the summer in my opinion. Lots of new planking but no counter block on the boat yet. Not anywhere to be seen in the yard either so I suspect sourcing a suitable lump of wood is the current task in hand.

Cabin is also on the bank. And the engine too last time I was there, although this time I didn't notice it around so I imagine it's away at an engineering shop being rebuilt.

MtB

I think some of the better ones go to VCMarine to be sold.

I must admit I have never seen evidence of this.

Some are certainly sold though the GoIndustry / DoveBid route, making it quite hard for Joe Public to buy them.

Yes, and will be for at least the rest of the summer in my opinion. Lots of new planking but no counter block on the boat yet. Not anywhere to be seen in the yard either so I suspect sourcing a suitable lump of wood is the current task in hand.

Cabin is also on the bank. And the engine too last time I was there, although this time I didn't notice it around so I imagine it's away at an engineering shop being rebuilt.

MtB

On the subject of suitable timber, does anyone ever try to source it from here in France? There is so much oak grown here that it is a popular firewood. You see good straight oak, ash, hornbeam etc growing in just about every hedge of woodland here. Astonishingly, forestry is the second largest employer in the Limousin.

On the subject of suitable timber, does anyone ever try to source it from here in France? There is so much oak grown here that it is a popular firewood. You see good straight oak, ash, hornbeam etc growing in just about every hedge of woodland here. Astonishingly, forestry is the second largest employer in the Limousin.

I don't know about boat building but I would suggest most oak used for furniture and house building is sourced from France, we have almost no managed Oak plantations in the UK

I don't know about boat building but I would suggest most oak used for furniture and house building is sourced from France, we have almost no managed Oak plantations in the UK

Thanks for that. I had wondered if french timber was used, and thought a possibly cheaper source might be from me asking a local french sheep farmer I get our logs from, if he has much old oak lying around seasoning in a field or barn.

Have we also imported Acute oak decline as well to go with all the others we now seem to have affecting our trees.

Although if you want a real wooden boat restoration project there's this:

http://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=409799

That boat is ex Ernest Thomas hire boat "Eagle" converted from one of his tugs, probably the "Dot" or possibly the original wooden "Birchills". A fine boat in its day as seen here:

gallery_5000_522_266367.jpg

So in reality although it needs work you are getting a BCN tug if you buy it!

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Have we also imported Acute oak decline as well to go with all the others we now seem to have affecting our trees.

As long as we maintain a good genetic diversity amongst the tree stock, I doubt it will be a major issue and tbh last time I looked at this they still weren't 100% what was causing the problem.

I also see no way of avoiding importing tree deseases just think how much timber is brought into the country

The issue with oak is that the generation that plant's oak doesn't see the profit.

Agree with this too much short term thinking in the UK forestry industry